• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

B.E.A.S.T. V: The Biggest European Tournament Yet

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer

The year 2015 is off to a smashing start, as APEX 2015 is already confirmed to be bigger than last year and B.E.A.S.T. 5 is looking to shatter the attendance records for Europe. Since 2008, the record for the highest amount of entrants in a European Melee singles bracket belonged to Epita Smash Arena 2 in Paris, which saw 231 players duke it out before Amsah claimed victory over Captain Jack in grand finals. Almost 7 years later, B.E.A.S.T. 5 closed its registration with over 400 players in attendance, of which 368 will be entering Melee singles. The event will also feature teams for Melee and singles for both Smash 4 and Project M.

The tournament, hosted by Lolex and Armada in Sweden, recently gained a lot of momentum when it was announced as the European qualifier for APEX 2015, sporting a $1000 pot bonus and various other benefits. Smashboards threw in a sponsorship of their own, further increasing the pot and means of promotion. There will be 18 countries represented other than Sweden, with favorable fares resulting in a whopping 79 entrants from the UK. In a rare turn of events, the American Smash scene is bringing out D1 to commentate alongside returning B.E.A.S.T. commentators such as Mike Haggar, King Funk and Alpha Dash and Avalon commentators Aqua and Tiersie.

Perhaps even more exciting is the fact that C9 Mang0 will be challenging Armada on his home turf. Signing up relatively late, the current world champion is a favorite to be in grand finals. Last summer Mang0 and Armada went back and forth over the course of several events, though their rivalry did not come to full fruition as it was Hungrybox who surprisingly beat Armada twice at EVO 2014. Mang0 and Armada met once more at The Big House 4, with Mang0 defeating Armada in losers semis before moving on to take the event. He will surely have a harder time in the PAL version of the game, where Fox has received several nerfs while Peach is more or less the same.

The third player aiming for gold is Leffen, who has proven himself capable of taking games or even full sets against the small group of top players long considered virtually untouchable. He made top 3 at the Big House 4, where he lost to Mew2King and Mang0 after beating both Hungrybox and Armada. The latter has since brought it back in several European tournaments, but will need to be on guard as Leffen is arguably the best Fox in the Peach matchup. It will also be interesting to see how another set between Mang0 and Leffen will play out, as Mang0 ended both their sets in 2014 with a devastating 4-stock.

While Spanish top players are notably absent, Ice from Germany is a clear favorite for top 4. Not too long ago, Ice made a successful main switch from Sheik to Fox, going so far as taking games against Armada and beating Leffen in Fox dittos over the summer at Hit & Stun 2 in Spain. Recent times have been a little bumpy for Ice however, as in November of last year he got 5th at DrommeLAN 4.0 after losing to Leffen and Over and 3rd at Avalon VI after losing to Armada and, surprisingly, Amsah.

The Netherlands is represented by their power ranked top 3; Amsah, Zgetto and LLL.Jeapie. While the first two haven’t traveled nearly as much lately as they used to, all three are capable of making top 5 at this event. With Jeapie running wild a good show is already guaranteed, though Swedish regulars such as Android and Dev have proven more than capable of making his tournament life difficult. The Dutch are sure to have a strong presence in teams as well, as Zgetto will have access to his regular partner and countryman Adam, in addition to Amsah and Jeapie having joined forces. Earlier today, Amsah created some last minute drama as he missed his flight, citing his alarm as the culprit. He paid a hefty fee to get on another flight and nearly escaped his team partner’s wrath, who had already proven his loyalty by passing on an opportunity to team with Mang0.

The clear favorites to win Melee teams are Armada and Android, who have already taken several events together. Their toughest competition will likely be from Leffen & Ice, Mang0 & Baxon and the Dutch teams mentioned before.

The Smash 4 singles event will be the biggest in Europe yet at 133 entrants, though unfortunately Mr-R will not be attending. With the game having seen little competition in Europe so far, a lot can happen, though it is of note that both Armada and Leffen will try to monkey their way through. The Project M event benefits a lot from the UK attendance at 154 entrants and will likely feature sets between Armada, Professor Pro and Leffen in its later rounds.

B.E.A.S.T. 5 will be live streamed by both VGBootCamp and Salty Playground. You can find the schedule here.

Thanks go out to Ryuker for providing the pictures.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
So we got:
  1. The 5th biggest tournament for Melee ever
  2. The biggest Melee tournament ever in Europe
  3. Loads of entrants for Melee teams
  4. Over 100 entrants in Project M and Smash 4
  5. The biggest Melee singles tournament of the year so far
  6. The biggest Melee doubles tournament of the year so far
  7. The biggest Project M singles tournament of the year so far
  8. The biggest Smash 4 tournament of the year so far
  9. The first truly big Project M 3.5 tournament in Europe
  10. Mango going to Europe for the first time in forever
  11. Mango, Armada, Leffen, and Ice all at one tournament
  12. D1 on the stick
  13. Mike HAGGAR
  14. Loads of players from the UK coming out
  15. Loads of players from Sweden defending their homeland
  16. APEX Qualifier points on the line
  17. Twitch and Smash Boards being awesome sponsors
  18. A chance to see Europe really shine in the limelight
  19. VGBOOTCAMP HYPE
  20. SALTY PLAYGROUND HYPE
  21. MANGO VS. ARMADA, the best player rivalry in Smash history
  22. When Mango went to Europe 2 years ago Armada didn't enter
This video sums up my thoughts on all this...

Last edited:

Zoa

Smash Ace
Woot. PM and Melee hype. Can't wait to see Professor Pro's Snake.

TheFadedWarrior

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MortifiedPanda
Wait, Mang0 isn't European, is he? I understand that he would go to an international tournament, but if he's American then it wouldn't make sense to have him in the middle of the promo poster.

Trife

Smash Rookie
Wait, Mang0 isn't European, is he? I understand that he would go to an international tournament, but if he's American then it wouldn't make sense to have him in the middle of the promo poster.
The poster is about the tournament (where he will attend), not about the european scene.

Last edited:

Ryuker

Smash Lord
The poster is about the tournament (where he will attend), not about the european scene.
It's also just a composition thing informed by the poses the players take. His pose is perfect to be in the center and the best image of leffen was looking to the right. So it kinda just works out that way and I doubt there's much European beef about it :)

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
:yeahboi:[quote="
it is of note that both Armada and Leffen will try to monkey their way through.[/quote]oh i see what was done here cuz y know ......​

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
So we got:
  1. The 5th biggest tournament for Melee ever
  2. The biggest Melee tournament ever in Europe
  3. Loads of entrants for Melee teams
  4. Over 100 entrants in Project M and Smash 4
  5. The biggest Melee singles tournament of the year so far
  6. The biggest Melee doubles tournament of the year so far
  7. The biggest Project M singles tournament of the year so far
  8. The biggest Smash 4 tournament of the year so far
  9. The first truly big Project M 3.5 tournament in Europe
  10. Mango going to Europe for the first time in forever
  11. Mango, Armada, Leffen, and Ice all at one tournament
  12. D1 on the stick
  13. Mike HAGGAR
  14. Loads of players from the UK coming out
  15. Loads of players from Sweden defending their homeland
  16. APEX Qualifier points on the line
  17. Twitch and Smash Boards being awesome sponsors
  18. A chance to see Europe really shine in the limelight
  19. VGBOOTCAMP HYPE
  20. SALTY PLAYGROUND HYPE
  21. MANGO VS. ARMADA, the best player rivalry in Smash history
  22. When Mango went to Europe 2 years ago Armada didn't enter
This video sums up my thoughts on all this...
I would be vastly more impressed with this being the biggest tournament of the year if the year was not a little over a week old. BREAK OUT THE CHAMPAGNE!

Ultra_

Smash Rookie
Can't wait.

I definitely think it'll come down to Mango and Armada [Who wud of thought ^__^]

I think if Armada performs at the level he's been performing at recently, he's going to take it, convincingly. Not to mention that PAL makes the Fox-Peach match up not as rough for Peach.

This will be quite something actually... When was the last time that Mango and Armada played the PAL version IN tournament? Have they ever?

Likewise, I'm looking forward to a potential Ice/Amsah rematch. And I hope Android brings it too, underrated player.

Last edited:

caLviN-1260

Smash Apprentice
NNID
caLviN-1260
mfw i realize D1 and Mike Haggar will be on the mic at the same time Kreygasm

Nessafile

Smash Apprentice
Can't wait.

I definitely think it'll come down to Mango and Armada [Who wud of thought ^__^]

I think if Armada performs at the level he's been performing at recently, he's going to take it, convincingly. Not to mention that PAL makes the Fox-Peach match up not as rough for Peach.

This will be quite something actually... When was the last time that Mango and Armada played the PAL version IN tournament? Have they ever?

Likewise, I'm looking forward to a potential Ice/Amsah rematch. And I hope Android brings it too, underrated player.
(Someone correct me if I am wrong) I believe when mango went to beast years back Armada didn't enter, so I think only NTSC games have happened, I could be wrong.

Kingkool

Smash Apprentice
So lemme get this straight, the picture for the biggest European tourney has Mango smack dab in the middle. Mango, the player that represents America when he plays, the guy who uses the "USA" tag in some games and the same guy who wears an American flag bandana on his head. All this while Armada, the best European Smasher there is is put on the right behind Mango. I'm kind of sick of Mango getting his **** sucked as much as he does. He's an amazing player, possibly the best there is, but we don't all need to worship him

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
So lemme get this straight, the picture for the biggest European tourney has Mango smack dab in the middle. Mango, the player that represents America when he plays, the guy who uses the "USA" tag in some games and the same guy who wears an American flag bandana on his head. All this while Armada, the best European Smasher there is is put on the right behind Mango. I'm kind of sick of Mango getting his **** sucked as much as he does. He's an amazing player, possibly the best there is, but we don't all need to worship him
Putting him in the middle here isn't an act of worship.

Rayvalk

Smash Rookie
As i know, Over is participating and is the more notable player of Spain, equally as good as anyone the Dutch trio :/ He should be listed there.

Last edited:

Ryuker

Smash Lord
As i know, Over is participating and is the more notable player of Spain, equally as good as anyone the Dutch trio :/ He should be listed there.
He would have been if there had been more clarity about his attendance. We've heard mixed stories and couldn't confirm if he was actually going to be present.

Rayvalk

Smash Rookie
He would have been if there had been more clarity about his attendance. We've heard mixed stories and couldn't confirm if he was actually going to be present.
Okay, i didn't know about all the mixed stories. I just know he is listed on the confirmed list on the Facebook Event. I hope he is finally going :)

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Okay, i didn't know about all the mixed stories. I just know he is listed on the confirmed list on the Facebook Event. I hope he is finally going :)
I got direct confirmation from the TOs that he's not before releasing this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom