• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Awkward WIFI problem, help required!

SQuek

Smash Rookie
Hey all,

I recently bought SSBB with the europe freeloader, but now I have encountered some sort
of online problem. Whenever I try to play online, I get an error code (86420). I read all about this error and tried solving this, but without result.
The error occurs when i'm waiting for other people to join my brawl (i'm at the punch-the-sandbag-mode).

I connect through a WIFIMAX stick, using the ZDWLAN software (WLAN_AP). This is plugged in to my pc and through this I connect myself onto the internet. I opened the ports for my router but this didn't help resolve the problem.
I read something about DNS but this isn't very clear to me, my router (Wired Linksys, version 4.2) DNS codes are all standard set to 0.0.0.0

I was hoping if anyone of you had encountered the same problem and could help me fix this. Anyone with information regarding this issue, feel free to repply, as i'm rather hopeless at this moment.

Kind regards,
SQuek

Aguasatori

Smash Journeyman
You're online but you can't get past the practice mode? Weird.

If you go to nintendo.com, they have a useful troubleshooter just for SSBB. You might want to poke around there.

Make sure you're connected by going to Spectator Mode before playing an online match. It saves time.

SQuek

Smash Rookie
Done

Well the thing is, I've pretty much tried all that! :dizzy:
So I've got no clue whatsoever about what to do now.
Any other options?

SQuek

Smash Rookie
shameless bump :(
Anyone got any options? Any at all? gettin kinda desperate and I have no options myself!
Thanks in advance.

SQuek

SQuek

Smash Rookie
no scratches or anything else like that on my disc, clean as water. It's probably something with my settings so i'm trying to find someone who had a similar problem or someone who knows how to fix it :)
I'd highly appreciate it

SQuek

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
Are you talking about the DNS codes on your router or on your Wii? With either one it shouldn't be all zeros.

SQuek

Smash Rookie
I'm talking about the one on my router.
So would you know how I can fix this?
1st DNS 0.0.0.0
2nd DNS 0.0.0.0
3rd DNS 0.0.0.0

kereo

Smash Cadet
Ok, after talking with SQuek today, I found this about the DNS:

Static DNS 1, 2, 3
The Domain Name System (DNS) is how the Internet translates domain or website names into Internet address or URLs. Your ISP will provide you with at least one DNS Server IP address. You can enter up to three DNS server IP address here. The router will use these for quicker access to functioning DNS servers.

This is the info his router gave about those 3 dns addresses that are all 0.0.0.0.
In other words, the DNS numbers that are 0.0.0.0 for him are, I am guessing, "preferred" dns servers. And as such, it seems his problems lie elsewhere.

bennyboytx

Smash Rookie
have u tried

A) changing router channels

B)if your running by this stick in your pc, turn off your firewall?

C)assign the wii a static ip address manually

SQuek

Smash Rookie
have u tried

A) changing router channels

B)if your running by this stick in your pc, turn off your firewall?

C)assign the wii a static ip address manually

A) cant, my router is not wireless
B) firewall is turned off
C) this wont work as the wii will continue giving me errormessages about the information I enter, and when it finally works, it cant connect to the internet.

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
Ok, after talking with SQuek today, I found this about the DNS:

Static DNS 1, 2, 3
The Domain Name System (DNS) is how the Internet translates domain or website names into Internet address or URLs. Your ISP will provide you with at least one DNS Server IP address. You can enter up to three DNS server IP address here. The router will use these for quicker access to functioning DNS servers.

This is the info his router gave about those 3 dns addresses that are all 0.0.0.0.
In other words, the DNS numbers that are 0.0.0.0 for him are, I am guessing, "preferred" dns servers. And as such, it seems his problems lie elsewhere.
Not quite. It looks like no DNS servers are entered. And without DNS your internet won't work.

@SQuek: usually there is a "get DNS automatically from ISP" option. Do you have that checked? You could always call your ISP and ask what their DNS servers are. A better solution would be to used Open DNS's(http://www.opendns.com/) servers though, as they are faster. The DNS numbers for their servers are:

enter those in your router and Wii and see if it clears up the problem. It may take like 5 minutes for it to kick in after you enter it.

Also sorry, but I don't really understand your internet setup lol. Could you elaborate on it? Mine is set up like'a so: Road runner ISP -> cable modem -> router -> Wii via wireless. How is yours set up?

kereo

Smash Cadet
Well, as I said, from what I gather, the three DNS he can enter in the router, are there if you have a prefered dns server, and if you don't enter one, it will get it automatically from the ISP.

SQuek

Smash Rookie
@ Hotgarbage,

As you asked, this is my setup:
Wii -> Wifi Stick -> Plugged into my computers -> Router -> Modem -> internet.
so I'm using the wifistick as a channel through my pc's i-net connection.
I'll try to use the DNS thingy that you just told me about, maybe that'll work, im'not quite sure though. I'll let you know when I get home!

Also, you said my internet will not work when I have no entered DNS on my router, but I dont think that that's true honestly. As said, there is no DNS entered into my router but still i'm able to get online with my computer.
When I get online with my wii by just connecting to an "Acces Point" and using it's standard information, it also gets me online.
The problem then is that when I try to battle with friends, or with anyone else, that it gives me an error code (86420). So I do think the problem is my router, or my pc, but I'm clueless about how to fix the issue.
Anyhow;
Thanks for the help mate, really do appreciate it!!

Kind Regards,
SQuek

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
Well, as I said, from what I gather, the three DNS he can enter in the router, are there if you have a prefered dns server, and if you don't enter one, it will get it automatically from the ISP.
Ohhhhhh ok. Sorry, I didn't understand you at first. Yea, if that's how it works there is no problem. And yea, if you can connect to the internet just fine there's nothing to worry about as far as DNS goes.

And sorry, but I really don't know crap about Wifi sticks lol. Maybe the stick is causing problems ?_____?. I did a brief google search and some articles on it came up, though you may have already looked at this.

http://forums.qj.net/f-wii-general-...-your-wii-as-requested-by-victor-b-90253.html

http://forums.qj.net/f-psp-wifi-and-web-browsing-help-38/t-guide-to-wifi-max-34263.html

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/513006-wifi-max-problem-please-help.html

Maybe using a Wii lan adapter would work??? :dizzy: I don't know. Good luck though man.

SQuek

Smash Rookie
So any other options mate?
If you need information about software and such then I can give you my msn and send u screenshots, maybe that helps? I'm kinda clueless about how to fix it!
if you're interested, my msn is gamer_viper@hot .... or if anyone else knows how to help me, feel free to add me, i'd really like to be able to play online!

Kind regards,
SQuek

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
I'll try and contact you later on the subject, right now I'm kinda sick lol. I forgot to ask though, did you set a static IP for your Wii by using the manual setup option?

I was just thinking about your situation, and realized that port forwarding in your case is a bit more complicated. You can't port forward directly to your Wii, because the Wii isn't hooked up directly to your router. Instead you would need to port forward to your PC's IP address and then to your Wii's IP address. I'm not really sure how you'd go about that though, I'll have to look more into that Wifi Max stick. (edit: or maybe this isn't the case.... I'll have to look into it)

If you could hook your Wii up directly to your router that would make things much simpler. Would hooking it up directly be out of the question of you? Though to do so you'd have to shell out 25 bucks to get the Wii lan adapter because Nintendo was too cheap to include an ethernet port on the Wii >______>

EDIT: oh yea, and what is your router's serial number? (oops, I meant model number)

SQuek

Smash Rookie
Ah, get well soon mate :)
A cable is out of options, as my dad would have to go ahead and pull another cable from downstairs through the wall, which isn't possible atm, as he already inserted a tube with a lot of cables for tv and such, it's pretty full!
My Router is: Etherfast® Cable/DSL Router BEFSR41
I haven't read much about the Static IP thingy honestly, I assigned an IP with 10 digits higher then my own, but this will mean I'll have to enter a DNS code (it wont take 0.0.0.0 when doing it manually), and I cant do this as my router doesn't have that sorta thing going. But for some reason when I just connect using "standard" options, it does work going on the internet, so wouldn't know what DNS it picks then, neither can I check that as it wont "show" those current options!
nintendo really does a sucky job on i-net atm :( hope it improves!

kereo

Smash Cadet
Eh SQuek, you can just buy 2 more lan cables and a switch. Plug the cable to your pc into the switch, then one cable from the switch to your pc, and one to the lan adapter.

SQuek

Smash Rookie
Yeh but I find it kind of costly to do this while I might get the current stuff to work with some help. Lan Adapter itself is 30 euro's, that with 2 more cables and the switch gets upto a quick 40-50 euro's. So I prefer trying to make this work before really saying it just wont budge and go buy something new.
Thanks anyhow

Top Bottom