• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Awesome way to recover

Levitas

the moon
I don't know if you guys know about this, I did some brief searching, but ZSS has a really good horizontal recovery w/o the tether.

You can cancel the Down b into an attack, OR jump. hold a direction for the jump and it'll go a massive horizontal distance. Give it a try, you'll know you have it because she rolls up into a ball, like the screw attack in the original metroid.

This gives her a better non tether recovery than DK by far.

Try it out!

PS, not a walljump, do it anywhere.

BoredPeanut

Smash Journeyman
If we're talking about the same thing that's just you utilizing her double jump after using the Down B jump. Try jumping twice then doing Down B and seeing if you can still do it.

Levitas

the moon
we aren't.

She goes a massive distance to the side.

I tried to replicate this outside of the boss battles waiting room (where I discovered it), and I can only get it by footstooling someone while holding a direction out of a down b. No clue why I could before w/o the footstool...

Edit: works w/o footstool in waiting rooms (glitch?), requires footstool for everywhere else.

NOT the normal footstool animation, more like an arc that goes almost purely horizontal when you hold a direction.

BoredPeanut

Smash Journeyman
Strange, I'll try it in the boss battle waiting room a little later and see what it is. Then I'll understand what we're talking about a bit better. But I couldn't replicate it in training mode.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
You're talking about what I like to call flipstooling. You can only do this off of an opponent. It has a bunch of odd properties. You can do it off of certain items. It doesn't cancel attack animations like normal footstools. It seems to grant invincibility frames, because you don't get hurt when jumping off of an attack. You also gain a lot of horizontal distance out of it.

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
I have actually heard of this, yet I have never seen a video.

It has something to do with canceling out of down B with a jump, but you need really good timing I think.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I have heard this.

Sk3pTiK

Smash Rookie
im somewhat confused, if someone could get a video up, it would be most appriciated

Levitas

the moon
is there a specific button input for this after you down+b? like, do you hit x/y or is it just something weird that occurs?
You hit x/y and the direction you want to go flying in. phOOtbag has it down though.

I wonder why it was possible in the waiting rooms but not in free space anywhere else...

Levitas

the moon
OK, thanks for the threads, I figured someone had to have found this before.

That said, I didn't footstool the sandbag, this was in the Allstar waiting room between characters, and I was just hanging out minding my own business. Try it, it's probably a glitch.

Thanks for the prompt reply, guys.

Snakeee

Smash Master
You're talking about what I like to call flipstooling. You can only do this off of an opponent. It has a bunch of odd properties. You can do it off of certain items. It doesn't cancel attack animations like normal footstools. It seems to grant invincibility frames, because you don't get hurt when jumping off of an attack. You also gain a lot of horizontal distance out of it.
I think it actually works off of any item.

I think this guy was footstool jumping sandbag when he thought it worked anywhere

Levitas

the moon
No, there are no freaking sandbags in the waiting room for ALLSTAR or BOSS BATTLES, I swear I'm not ********.

Levitas

the moon
Please don't make me keep saying that I wasn't footstooling those things. I was pulling it off where ever I wanted to.

Someone, try it so that I don't have to keep repeating myself, lol.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
We already know you're either lying, forgetful, or dreaming. Not to mention that everyone who has tried to replicate this has failed. And since you can't do it again either would just make it seem that you were doing something we already know how to do and pretending it's not.

Levitas

the moon
Deliciouscake, I'm not lying. If I can prove it, I will within the week. However, I tried it today on a friends wii, and it didn't work.

This is driving me insane.

It's a minor glitch and doesn't matter one way or the other.

And my apologies for not knowing about this footstool mechanic before. I apologize again for wasting everyone's time.

Pezz570

Smash Cadet
we aren't.

She goes a massive distance to the side.

I tried to replicate this outside of the boss battles waiting room (where I discovered it), and I can only get it by footstooling someone while holding a direction out of a down b. No clue why I could before w/o the footstool...

Edit: works w/o footstool in waiting rooms (glitch?), requires footstool for everywhere else.

NOT the normal footstool animation, more like an arc that goes almost purely horizontal when you hold a direction.
I found this out by accident when playing online in the practice stage. seems that you can perform this jump on our favorite punching bag, the sand bag. strange thing is though, you can't perform a normal footstool jump on the sand bag.

It seems that this extra jump can be activated by pressing jump whenever you are close to an enemy/character box (or whatever you want to call the area where an opponent is located).

By the way, the direction of the can be controlled with the control stick and the angle differs depending upon when you perform the jump during the down b move animation. I've gotten her to shoot upwards.

Unfortunately I see little use for this since chances are you'll be punish before performing the jump. If you are going to use this in your game, make sure that your opponent does not expect it.

Pezz570

Smash Cadet
wait, wait, wait, wait.... you can do it while someone is attacking without taking damage?! I never knew that! gotta try it tomorrow, too tired now.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
wait, wait, wait, wait.... you can do it while someone is attacking without taking damage?! I never knew that! gotta try it tomorrow, too tired now.
I think you can. I have flipstooled off of a cpu Falco that was charging Firebird in Training mode, and I didn't take damage that I recall. I only recall one instance of this, so it's rather fuzzy. If I'm not going crazy, and it is true, then I have no idea what the mechanic is that leads to this phenomenon. Maybe you jump off of hitboxes and not heads?

Adapt

Smash Lord
can't you flipstool jump anything that has the ability to interact with you physically? ie anything that you can hit or will hit you

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I just tried this on Ness' PKT2, and got the same thing. I flipstooled off of the move, taking none of the 25% damage, and jumping directly out of the move's range. The move wasn't canceled, nor was it shortened. I wasn't watching very closely, so I couldn't see if I picked up invincibility frames.

Taso

Smash Apprentice
Levitas, I just toyed around with it in the All-Star Waiting room.

You were jumping off of the trophies IN THE BACKGROUND. Or else the hearts.

Pay attention the the capital letters there guys.

She can do this off of trophies in the background
o_O

What the hell are the exact mechanics to this jump? Jumping off of PKT, background trophies, items...

This seems bizarre.

Top Bottom