• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Avoiding/Countering CG tips

Mr.Black

Smash Rookie
Does anyone have some tips for avoiding and countering those characters with CGs and/or surviving a spike afterward?

stRIP

Smash Ace
Hmm, personally im avoiding Yoshis Island and Final destination for starters

Counterpicking...Norfair, Brinstar, Pirate ship

I like delfino too

p8nted

Smash Apprentice
Best advice I can give is to never attack some1's shield from the front. If you're thunderstorming around and they try to shield it, make sure to SH far enough that you hit the back of their shield so they don't get the easy shield grab.

Other than that, just work on spacing your attacks so they hit at the very edge of the hitbox. Do a lot of retreating aerials and overall just try to keep a certain distance between you and your opponent at all times.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Dooooon't pick Delfino if you're trying to avoid CGs. There are a few parts of the stage where you will get walk off KO'd by a chain grab. Avoid Castle Siege for this reason as well.

Thunderstorming is always useful against players who like to grab, since they probably won't grab you if you've jumped above them, about to stomp.

If Falco's CG -> spike is killing you too much, you can pick Yoshi's (even though it's a really crappy stage for Ganondorf) and tech off the wall after he spikes.

Not only is Norfair a good stage to avoid CGs, it is also a good stage for Ganondorf in general (Ganonciding into the lava and surviving FTW)

Just play smart, learn your spacing, and don't panic after you get spiked after a chain grab. You can usually survive Falco's CG -> spike up to about 70% if you meteor cancel properly.

TP

Smash Master
Dooooon't pick Delfino if you're trying to avoid CGs. There are a few parts of the stage where you will get walk off KO'd by a chain grab. Avoid Castle Siege for this reason as well.

Thunderstorming is always useful against players who like to grab, since they probably won't grab you if you've jumped above them, about to stomp.

If Falco's CG -> spike is killing you too much, you can pick Yoshi's (even though it's a really crappy stage for Ganondorf) and tech off the wall after he spikes.

Not only is Norfair a good stage to avoid CGs, it is also a good stage for Ganondorf in general (Ganonciding into the lava and surviving FTW)

Just play smart, learn your spacing, and don't panic after you get spiked after a chain grab. You can usually survive Falco's CG -> spike up to about 70% if you meteor cancel properly.
You can always survive Falco's with SDI and a good ledge tech. Or you can do what I do, which is magically teleport back to the stage (Is that video up yet, DLA?).

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Does anyone have some tips for avoiding and countering those characters with CGs and/or surviving a spike afterward?
Okay, this is what I do against Falco.

BF. Sit on the platform until he does like 25% to you. This COMPLETELY prevents him from doing any 0-death combos on you. Then start ****** him. Even if he tries to CG you on the platform, you can space yourself so he doesn't have much room to walk.

The key against Falco isn't to avoid getting grabbed, it's to make it hurt you less.

Squirrely

Smash Journeyman
I tend to get grabbed a ton from storming. All they have to do is shield and grab like any other attack. It doesn't knock them away while they're shielding and if you try to stomp behind them they just simply turn around and grab.

I have to switch up strategies depending on if the person is a shielder or spot-dodger. If they shield, I do more flame chokes or empty jumps into grabs. Spot dodging calls for either spacing with d-tilts or using our slow f-smash to punish a spot dodge. Don't use grounded down-b on shielders, it's the easiest thing to shield grab. Only use grounded down-b on spot dodgers if they're at a percentage where you can knock them away without getting an instant aerial in the face. Aerial down-b works well against spot-dodgers or shielders who have seriously diminished their shield. That's all I can think of for avoiding grabs for now.

Once you get grabbed, there are a few options that will help you from being killed due to chain grabs. If it's falco make sure you are DI-ing toward the stage when he's ready to spike you. I've actually found there's a narrow window that he can successfully spike you, and even during that, I've survived. If he spikes too close to the stage, you can DI toward the stage and either a) land on it (which is what happens to me the most) or b) tech off the stage (this takes skill). If he grabs you by reaching way off the stage, he probably won't land the spike anyways because you're far away enough to DI away form him after the throw or grab release. If he grabs you in a spot where you can't tech or land on the stage and that he can easily get you with a d-air, just make sure you use your jump and up-b to get back on stage. This means no mashing jump at all when falco is chaining you. Save it for when it counts. And I mean really try to land back on stage because a good falco will immediately ledgehog you after spiking.
1:24 - 1:34 of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjasBUauuDQ shows recovery after a Falco spike
2:17 - 2:25 of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqMg70EVCM4 shows landing on stage after being spiked

If you're up against Ice Climbers you're f*cked if you get grabbed. Do everything in your power to avoid getting grabbed. If you do get grabbed, mash that controller to dust in a feeble attempt to break out. Don't get grabbed. Repeat that in your head the entire match. I'm serious.

Same thing with King Dedede. If he's halfway competent and he lands a grab, you are going to the edge of the stage and beyond. If he does screw up in the timing, take advantage of it by spot dodging between grabs. And don't get grabbed again. And don't do stupid things like going to areas where he can CG all the way off the map. As long as he can camp those areas, you can camp anywhere else. Oh, I sometimes have luck using u-air as he comes off-stage to edge-guard me.

Top Bottom