• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Average age of smashers.

Krytha

Smash Journeyman
First off, I'm 22 and I disagree with the notion that the majority of players are in a mid-teen age bracket. The core of fans of the series would likely have started playing from Smash 64 which was a long time ago - and they have aged with the franchise. I would suggest that most of the players are more centered around 20 and a bit over that with some new blood coming in, but nothing to challenge the numbers of the consistent players.

tafutureboy

Smash Ace
15 here. I know a lot of people my age that also are into Smash. I've been into smash since 2004 (since i was 12?). Its a game that just reaches this age group....I mean it is Nintendo (older gamers think their too good for Nintendo, but their wrong)

Whiteface

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRealWhiteface
Yea.... i'm 23............ I see a pattern here

Mechageo

Smash Ace
First off, I'm 22 and I disagree with the notion that the majority of players are in a mid-teen age bracket. The core of fans of the series would likely have started playing from Smash 64 which was a long time ago - and they have aged with the franchise. I would suggest that most of the players are more centered around 20 and a bit over that with some new blood coming in, but nothing to challenge the numbers of the consistent players.
I'm 23, I got the game the week it came out for the N64.

I'd say that you're on to something.

iankobe

Smash Lord
It's obvious. Normally it'd be around from 6-7 graders to 23 years old.

I started when I was in 7th grade for melee, and 5th grade for SSB. It really depends.

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
<-------- 21.

Wait, I'm old?
Well, I did rent the original SSB when I was 12 enough so that I SHOULD have owned it.

Matunas

I'm a monster!
BRoomer
NNID
Matunas
24 here. I guess I should have realized most of the people would be younger than me.

180OP

Smash Journeyman
While 99% of competitive smashers are between 11 and 23 years old (with most of the others being 24-27), I'll speak for anyone who has ever played smash:

If I had to guess, it would be a bell curve centered around 16 with a standard deviation of 3 years.

This would imply that there are as many 13 year olds as 19 year olds, and 68% of smashers fall into this range of 13-19 years old.

Similarly, there would be as many 10 year olds as 22 year olds, and that 95% of people who have played smash fall into this 10-22 year old range.

In reality, the bell curve would be marginally right-skewed (that is, there certainly aren't as many smashers who are 1 year old as are 31).

Another observation, is that, in general, every year smash has been out, the the curve flattens out slightly, spreading to the right as some people continue to play smash (but staying roughly the same on the left as new players are attracted), thus moving the mean a portion of a year older.

Also keep in mind that the age distribution for smashboards posters will be a tighter, slightly higher curve since the younger a smasher is from the mean, the less likely they are to be able or be interested in posting here.
Hahaha, I love this post. Standard deviations, bell curve... i forgot all this useful stuff. Statistics and probability were my worst topics in College.

I'm 20, been playing smash since like age 12 or 11. not sure.

luigidude90

Smash Apprentice
im 17,a few friends are 16 and everyone else 17 up to 23.

so the smashers i know are from age 16 to 23.

i calculated the average and it comes to 17.

Krylon

Smash Rookie
I'm 17...turning 18 in June. I don't play with the same friends that much anymore but they're all around my age.

Interesting statistics. It kinda makes you rethink things like the forums when half the people on it are younger than you.

Top Bottom