• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Auto canceling

moogle

Smash Ace
I think not many people know about this aspect of SSBM, so I thought I would bring it to light. Credit goes to SuperDoodleMan for his frame data guide: http://www.angelfire.com/games5/superdoodleman/frames.html

I'll start with an example. Some of you know that you can do Fox's full-jump back-air without having to L-cancel usually. If you didn't know, then pick Fox, go to FD, and try doing full jump bairs. Don't try to L-cancel them. If you do the bairs as soon as you can after jumping, you should notice that the move kinda just ends before you land.

Now go to the Fox section of SDM's guide: http://www.angelfire.com/games5/superdoodleman/Fox_frames_11.6.05.txt

Fox's full jump lasts between 27 and 35 frames, depending on when/if you fastfall. (60 frames = 1 second.) Then look at Fox's bair... it lasts 39 frames. You would think you would have to L-cancel this move every time, right? Then you see "Auto cancel: <3 24>". This means if you land before frame 3 of Fox's bair, or after frame 24 of Fox's bair, then the move is "auto-canceled". You will have the same landing lag time as if you had just jumped and landed without doing an aerial (for Fox, it's 4 frames).

Basically this means you only have to L-cancel Fox's bair if you land during frames 3-24, of a total 39.

This doesn't mean that you get to stop L-canceling altogether. Any shorthop bairs will still have to be L-canceled, since Fox's shorthop lasts 15-21 frames, and bair is auto-canceled after 24. Also, if you plan on hitting someone who's on the ground with Fox's bair, it's very likely you'll be landing in that 3-24 frame window. You'll still have to L-cancel.

Now, some characters *can* SHFF aerials and have them be auto-canceled. Take Marth's nair. Marth's short hop lasts 26-38 frames. Nair lasts 49 frames, but is auto-canceled after 25 frames. That means if you're quick on getting out that nair and/or slow on fastfalling, then you don't have to L-cancel Marth's SHFF'ed nair.

Doc's/Mario's uair is another one, assuming you start the move early enough.

Now what I ask: Do you guys know any more examples of when auto-canceling is useful? Also, if you have any corrections, let me have it. :)

Massive

Smash Champion
I've noticed this on Jigglypuff as well, if you get the rhythm on the bair WOP right, you dont need to L-Cancel when you hit the ground and you can still follow up with nearly anything.

Top Bottom