• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Aug 8, 2014] 3 Day Public Exhibition/Game A Thon for Jeffrey Bordeaux... (Rochester, NY)

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
UPDATE: I may be using the Melee it on Me Twitch Channel for Friday and Sunday, just waiting to hear back from Scar.

Until then, this event will be streamed at www.twitch.tv/jesiahevolve

Hey guys, I'm Jesiah, a smasher from Upstate NY, Rochester to be specific.

I play Marth and Fox in Melee, and MK/Falco/Marth/Fox in PM.

I've been playing since December of 06, and for a long time in my career I actually wanted to become the best player in the world.

Lots of factors combined, contributing to me eventually dropping that goal/dream.

I still play Smash to improve, I love the aspects of improvement in Smash.

Throughout my career, probably the biggest factors contributing why I was never able to get as good as I set out to become, were the lack of time and money to travel consistently enough.

I will say things are looking brighter in the future though, so for any of those who still want to see what I'm capable of, there's a good chance I'll be travelling more in the future, so hopefully you'll see more of me.

For now however, I'm posting regarding an event I'm participating in on the days of August 8th, 9th, and 10th.

It's a game-a-thon, a 3 day long one in honor/memory of a person I once knew in high school, named Jeffrey Bordeaux.

Jeffrey was murdered in 2011, stabbed to death at a college party at University of Rochester.

Jeffrey was a football, basketball and track athlete, so he was pretty popular. He was also cool as hell, and although we had very separate friend groups, we'd talk sometimes in school or on AIM about Pokemon.

This was cool of him because he was kind of a popular kid who didn't care at all about letting people knew he played Pokemon, or even coming to me for advice and stuff.

It was really sad to see him go, and since his death, each year people have gotten together including his family to hold a 3 on 3 basketball tournament called the Jeffrey Bordeaux Classic. The proceeds all went to the Jeffrey Bordeaux Foundation.

This year is different however. This year as I said, it's a video game event. The venue, A Gamers Nostalgia, is open the first two days from 11AM-9PM, and the last day 11AM-6PM.

This is 27 hours of being open, and 27 hours I'll be there playing Melee, PM and probably some 64.

Basically the reason I'm posting is to try and raise money for the Jeffrey Bordeaux foundation through raising awareness for this event online.

We're going to be streaming the event, and this is my first time doing any type of streaming for donations. It's actually one of my first times streaming other than in a tournament setting at all.

I'm not as up to date with the more new school aspects of esports and competitive gaming as some are, but I've come to understand that gamers nowadays receive some, sometimes, pretty ridiculous amounts of money through donations for their gaming feats or accomplishments.

That's what I'm attempting here basically, and I think I can put on a good enough show for 3 days to get viewers to feel like they're donating for a good cause.

Here's a quick breakdown of what I'm planning/what will be going down:

-1st off, everytime someone takes a game off me, both the owner of A Gamers Nostalgia, Christopher Williams, and I will donate $5 each to the Jeffrey Bordeaux fund, making it $10 for everyone to take a game off me, throughout any of the 3 days.

So this means in addition to everything else I'll hopefully be pulling off/doing, throughout the entire 3 days I'm publicly accepting any challenges from Smashers or Non Smashers and every single game I play I'm attempting to win.

So it's kind of a public exhibition, and I'm excited for this part because hopefully I'll be able to record my record through the three days, which is exciting for me personally, but for viewers should also be exciting to see what kind of streak I can create.

-2nd, I feel personally obliged to use this event to go as hard as possible, and put on display my best skills as well as learn new ones and raise my skill level as much as possible throughout the three days.

Jeffrey and I weren't really super close friends, but I knew him enough to feel honored to be using my skills for his cause.

This motivates me to want to give my all to the event, and to use it to take my game to the highest level I can take it throughout these 3 days.

Here are some things I will be working on throughout the event:

-Perfecting Marth tech skill in terms of precision, speed and consistency

My Marth is basically my pride and joy. I've been playing him since before I even played the game competitively, and I've put the most time into him than any of my characters in any Smash game.

I feel I'm at a really good level of technical execution with him right now, AND for the first time since 2010/2011, I have a controller that I feel very good with.

Therefore, the timing is perfect now for me to try and see what I can really bring out of this character...to really refine and polish my precision, and to consistently be playing the character at max speed, without losing any effectiveness.

-Leveling up my Fox tech skill

This means everything from polishing my current technical level to perfection, to learning new fox tech skill, and everything in between.

Fox is my secondary, or depending on what I've been working on with him even a dual main sometimes.

I looove Fox, such a sick character. My fox tech skill, when I'm on, is really really good...But limited compared to where the top Fox metagame is at right now.

So I'm inspired to work on Fox as well, probably not as much as Marth but hey who knows.

-Other characters by request- I'll also be playing every other character in the game at some point probably, either via viewer request or player request. I'm down to mess around and learn things with these characters, or show off what I already know with them.

-Teaching/Training Sessions- I'll be answering questions and teaching anyone that wants help, again either from the stream or anyone in person that shows up.

I know some of the local smashers want to show up to train with me, and I'll be going out of my way this time to really try and break things down for people.

So if you're lower level than me in any way/ways at all, I'm pretty confident to say you'll learn stuff.

However, there are a lot of things I don't know about the game, and actually if anyone streaming gives me the answers to these, then I guess we'll all learn things.

I'm bad with a lot of the more technical knowledge of the game, like various game mechanics I never bothered flushing out in their entirety, or a lot of frame data, etc.

-PM- I'll be playing a lot of PM too, probably mainly using Metaknight. I'm learning with him still, so you'll get to see my try and learn new things, master others, etc.

I'm also open for advice and info on MK since I'm fairly new with him. I also play Falco in PM, and I wanna work on him as well.

-Drilling in mechanics and game knowledge- Like I admitted before, I lack a lot of knowledge that I should definitely know at this point.

If anyone on stream gives me any knowledge/advice/answers to anything, I'll be using this time to really understand the knowledge and implement it into my game.

-Fun events- I'm sure we'll be doing things like Smash minigames such as Tenkaichi, Team Fortress, Teams Tenkaichi, and also just fun things like playing with items on sometimes, 1 player event matches, etc.

3rd- If this event goes well, there's a chance this venue will also be holding weekly training sessions/tournaments. So if anyone ends up enjoying the stream/any of my play, we just may start a weekly series or some sort.

That's about it. I'm going to be leaving a lot of necessary information at the bottom, and will be around to answer questions today and tomorrow.

Thanks in advance!

Jeffrey's Death:

http://roc.democratandchronicle.com/article/20110313/NEWS01/103130354/

Deadly-moment-derails-2-lives-University-Rochester

Game-A-Thon in the City Newspaper:
http://www.rochestercitynewspaper.c...frey-bordeaux-game-a-thon/Content?oid=2416932

Thread When I started my West Coast Smash Trip:
http://smashboards.com/threads/forward-2-0-new-updates-plane-ticket-to-az-purchased.265504/

(Interesting Quote from my post in that thread: I realized something that I think a lot of people are realizing now too: Melee's never going to die. The players love the game too much, and even though people retire every once in a while, there's always going to be new people who love the game just like we did when we first started playing competitively, and they're going to dedicate themselves like we did and get to ridiculous levels. Or they're playing now, they just haven't ascended yet. ;)

Either way, Melee's not going to die. We thought we hit the peak of Melee when Mango beat M2K at Pound 3. Then Genesis when Armada came and shocked everyone. Then Pound 4 with some more europeans? Has Melee even hit its prime yet? Honestly. That's an honest ****ing question. Has it really even hit it's prime?)

I was young back then and reading some of that stuff is embarrassing lol, but you can't say I didn't call that ****.

Me vs Darkrain years ago (Only game 2 where I won...If you care to see me get bodied games 1 and 3, they should be easy to find lol):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovjH0Q39Dek

Me vs. Swiftbass almost 4 stock comeback:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrDLy6cQtro

Me almost beating the Moon, but losing lol-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhOz0n1wcCk

Me vs. Gravy (who then went on to body KDJ just a little while later):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tGp4h8ipCA

I chose those matches because they show what I'm capable of, not because I think they're godlike or anything...I just don't want potential viewers to think I'm a scrub lol...Also if you wanna see matches of me losing, there are plenty just search, I'm not posting them here LOL.

Venue: A Gamers Nostalgia, 1350 Culver Road #B, Rochester New York,

Game-A-Thon Facebook Event

Twitch channel: www.twitch.tv/JesiahEvolve

*Pay attention tomorrow as the day unfolds, I may be using a different

twitch channel.

My Facebook: www.facebook.com/jessejmorse

Twitter: @JesiahEvolved

Reddit Thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2ctv6j/3_day_public_exhibitiongame_a_thon_for_jeffrey/

Last edited:
Top Bottom