• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Attractive technique

j3ly

Smash Champion
upB edgecancel off a platform, fall through dair auto cancel. can fit in a fast fall and it still autocancels. can do anything you desire combo wise after the dair AC's.

best to double jump before the upB because its faster. generally a technique to get mario up, and then down as quickly as possibly while providing him with his safest angle of attack (down, fast fallen, dair)

very hard and will require practice at home often to master as there are 3 angles of upB, and generally the edgecancel on upB is hard.

learn it though, as it is the fastest that mario can move apart from upB walljump., and it is an amazing offensive option.
ill make a detailed video as soon as i have the tech down myself.

best way to practice would be to get some bluetack. keep trying for the edgecancel until you get it, and bookmark the place mario's cap was before you pressed upB. once you have the bluetack on your screen, you can commence to practise and get it down to a tee.

LEARN TO CHAINGRAB SHIEKS!! let it be done, learn it in training mode on a CPU set to evade.

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
definetly want to see this video because I'm not fully understanding this
although if it is what I think it is, it sounds pretty simple with a little tech skill for a lot of reward
still have to master upB walljump too XD

j3ly

Smash Champion
Icg pleaaase stop comming in and talking pure shiet. If u have anything useful, unrelated to urself or pichu we wud like to hear that.

Platform cancel would mean we ff through the platform and then cancel the move on any part.

Edge cancel means the move cancels on the edge of a platform - with this move tho it needa peeeeefect spacing

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
actually I remember there being a post some ~6 months back asking if Up B could be used as a combo move. I remember on yoshi's story that it spaces to the top platform perfectly if you just press upB (as opposed to upB then move it for the extender to give it that 45 degree angle) I never thought of edge cancelling it.
now are there any other platforms on other stages that it would work near perfect on other than YS and FoD?
I think it would be not only difficult but too slow on the bottom platforms of BF and DL, and the top platform is out of the question.

TJ Infinat

Smash Ace
raeford or chapel hill depends on the time of year
i've only really ever used mario's upb to get out of combos. Until I learned the proper way to do it, it was the first option I used to get out of being pillard against a falco.

You're saying that it takes a specific spacing to edge cancel the upB as opposed to any other mario move, then?

j3ly

Smash Champion
sooooooooooo hard :(

it takes specific spacing to edge cancel all moves - ur char has to have enough momentum to touch and move over the teeter edge of the platform while doing an attack to cancel it.

problems being:
i have not tested otherwise, but i dont the we have control over our momentum in upB. maybe i am wrong, and maybe thats why this tech is so hard. try it from a run on YS bottom platform
3 angles makes it difficult to master.

uses for upB:
laser gets rid of the lag on upB, so its good for punishing falco with. punish blatant lasers with an upB with no lag, that you can combo from.
getting out of pillar
getting out of being spiked
getting out of bein slapped
getting out of some combos
invincibility for a few frames
edge canceling on DL from a walljump from edgehogging

SDI downwards from a waveshine and we can jab jab kick fox before he can follow up. lol.

Top Bottom