• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ATTN: People who know how to fix PCs Update: need moar help

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Ok, so here's the deal. My mom has a fairly new laptop that she bought. But it seems to have a pretty bad virus or trojan program on it. She had it "fixed" but within two days it started to look just like when it had the virus on it. So I'm not sure if the tech guys were even able to actually remove the virus.

She ended up just buying a new one. Yes, she's one of those people. :p So I made a deal with her, if I can fix it I can have it. She agree'd.

The symptoms: When I turn it on I recieve several error messages, I'm often re-directed to different sites. If I type in google for example it will take me to a different search engine. When I log into smashboards a fake MLG website will pop up along side it. When I tried to use it most recently after about five minutes I received a message that tells me the computer will shutdown in 60 seconds. 60 seconds later, it's off.

If the only way to fix this is to wipe the hardrive I don't mind as there is nothing on there not needs to be saved. If that's the simplest way to do it I'm up for it. I just don't know how to do it.

If after this someone could suggest a free anti-virus program that works well that would be great. Because the one she paid for clearly sucks.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
just wipe it

get a new copy of windows and install
This. I know it's contrary to what I said in the last thread I posted in but in your case wiping the drive just makes sense. No data to save + since it's new for you you might as well start fresh. No need to bother figuring out how to undo whatever's been done.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I agree completely. Wipe it.

Download Ubuntu 9.10 from this site, burn it onto a cd, and install it. on a clean hard drive. You'll probably want the 32 bit edition.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
i forget what its called, but i just fixed a problem similar to this

as for your websites being redicted, thats all determine by a certain file on your hard drive that spybot search and destroy can fix (u can also do it manually but the name of the file escapes me atm)

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
dont blame me if it messes up your computer, (google search it first), but i think the file is in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

in spybot i think one of the (advanced) tools is a hosts manager

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
How do I wipe it? :x
Once you've burned the Ubuntu disc image, you insert it into your computer and turn it on. It should try to boot into Ubuntu. There will be an option for "install ubuntu". You should choose that one, and when it warns you about wiping data that may be important, tell it to shut it's mouth and do it's **** job.

Super_ness

Smash Journeyman
Also, once you're in the Partitioning part of the Ubuntu installer, just pick Guided - Use entire disk. Otherwise it'll try to install without wiping the drive.

Diddyknight

Smash Lord
Good job getting yourself a laptop =P wipe it and install linux. If your sticking to windows....

As for Anti-Virus goes...Avast is good, AVG is decent. Norton is garbage

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Does that message by any chance look like this?
http://www.wedevoy.com/ozzu/Help/broke.PNG
Yep.
Once you've burned the Ubuntu disc image, you insert it into your computer and turn it on. It should try to boot into Ubuntu. There will be an option for "install ubuntu". You should choose that one, and when it warns you about wiping data that may be important, tell it to shut it's mouth and do it's **** job.
lol aye aye sir.

edit: why did I write agreed as agree'd?

Super_ness

Smash Journeyman
For now, whenever it trys to shut down, go to the Command Prompt, (Start > Run, Type cmd.exe) and in the command prompt, type shutdown -a

This should try to stop it from shutting down. Tell us if it works.
Oh, and this is just a temporary measure. Keep listening to Dastrn and get Ubuntu on there!

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Alright so I've got a new problem now. I was all set to use ubuntu but I was waiting until I had time to do it. I checked it again and now it's in a near permanent restart.

It loads with a black screen listing several options

Safe mode
Safe mode with network
Safe mode with command prompt

Last working settings
Restart windows normally

None of this work with the exception of safe mode with command prompt. Every other option just restarts the computer. Last working settings doesn't even work. :C Is anyone able to tell me what I should do?

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
1. Get an Ubuntu Live disc.
2. Stick it in.
3. If you're lucky, it will try to boot right into Ubuntu, and give you the option to wipe the hard drive.
4. If you're unlucky, it will try to go back into windows.
4b. If it tries to go to windows anyways, then restart the computer, and when it pops up saying "press F# (F10, F12, F2, whichever one...some are different) to enter setup", press that button about 10 times really fast. You should be able to get into BIOS from there, which is a menu which lets you choose some basic global settings for your computer.

You'll have to tell it to boot from the DVD drive as the first option.
Then save and exit, and start at step 3.

Super_ness

Smash Journeyman
Yep. Burn the image to a CD, stick it in the drive, and reboot.

When it first reboots and the BIOS run, look for something that says, press <insert button here> to enter boot menu. Press it, actually just keep hammering it, until you get a menu. Select CD/DVD drive. This will boot the CD. Then, after a menu loads with an ubuntu logo select Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer. This will load a complete desktop where you can play around, and install when your ready.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
It didn't work. :c "no boot file name received".

I'm beginning to think I should just take it in.

Super_ness

Smash Journeyman
I think I know what you did. The CD should have many files on it. It should not have the one .iso file on it. Make sure from your burning software that you select burn image or something like that.

Frames

DI
yo

just go to da store

buy windows xp for like 100 bucks or w/e

if you dont have money

then download windows xp and burn it using imgburn

then take the disc and put it in the computer

when you first turn on the computer there will be a message "press f-something for setup" (maybe like f2 or f11 depends on the manufacturer)

then go to whatever option says boot change it so the cd-rom drive has first priority

then save and exit, it will restart and run the dvd, then follow the instructions and presto!

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Don't buy windows. This is simpler than that.
Are you burning the disc with another computer, or this one?

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Another computer. This one just lets me use a few options. Every other one, safe mode, load last working settings,etc, just results in a restart loop.

Untrust Us

Smash Journeyman
So far, Dastrn and Super_ness have been giving horrible advice. Let's face it, Ubuntu? lol

This guy is having trouble trying to actually INSTALL ubuntu, and I know with personal experience, you're gonna have a really hard time with Ubuntu.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
So far, Dastrn and Super_ness have been giving horrible advice. Let's face it, Ubuntu? lol

This guy is having trouble trying to actually INSTALL ubuntu, and I know with personal experience, you're gonna have a really hard time with Ubuntu.
sounds like someone isn't smart enough to use Ubuntu, and thinks that therefore no one is smart enough.

Chill, you know who you trust. And it's NOT the guy NAMED "untrust us"...

Super_ness

Smash Journeyman
Step one: Download.
Step two: Burn iso file to a CD. Make sure to use burn image.
Step three: Insert CD.
Step four: Reboot.
Step five:If it still boots to Windows:
Step fiveA: If an option appears while rebooting to press <insert key here> for boot menu, press it and select disc drive.
Step fiveB: While rebooting look for press <insert key here> for setup, BIOS, or anything really, press it to get to BIOS. Look for boot priority and set CD drive to be first. Save changes, and reboot.
Step six: You should be booting from CD one way or another now. Follow previous posts.

If you still get an error, insert the CD into a working computer. (After Windows has loaded), and go to My Computer. Right click the CD, and hit explore. Tell us what you see.

And to a person you should untrust, I installed easily and could never go back.

Diddyknight

Smash Lord
........Chill, another easy linux to do is RedHat Linux. Pretty popular but ubuntu still wins lulz

Can't believe your having trouble installing >.>

Configure your BIOS to boot from CD/USB

Untrust Us

Smash Journeyman
sounds like someone isn't smart enough to use Ubuntu, and thinks that therefore no one is smart enough.

Chill, you know who you trust. And it's NOT the guy NAMED "untrust us"...
No, it's pretty easy to use, but Ubuntu is horrible. Chill can't even get it to install and you expect him to use Ubuntu?

Chill would be LUCKY if Ubuntu detects and installs compatible drivers for his computer. Let's not forget that he will have a hard time finding programs. I'm talking about specific programs not general programs like web browsers and word processing programs.

firefox, openoffice etc.

Linux is not ready for a real world setting.

Until then, stick with Windows.

Frames

DI
ugh lets not make this into an os war

whatever os he chooses the methods for installing them are identical so just pick one and go with the instructions people have chosen in the thread

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
No, it's pretty easy to use, but Ubuntu is horrible. Chill can't even get it to install and you expect him to use Ubuntu?

Chill would be LUCKY if Ubuntu detects and installs compatible drivers for his computer. Let's not forget that he will have a hard time finding programs. I'm talking about specific programs not general programs like web browsers and word processing programs.

firefox, openoffice etc.

Linux is not ready for a real world setting.

Until then, stick with Windows.
I've walked three or four of my friends through the process of switching to ubuntu after major security issues with windows, and they've all had really good experiences.

The biggest complaint I heard was "there's no free ubuntu version of rosetta stone? aww man..."

Untrust Us

Smash Journeyman
I've walked three or four of my friends through the process of switching to ubuntu after major security issues with windows, and they've all had really good experiences.

The biggest complaint I heard was "there's no free ubuntu version of rosetta stone? aww man..."
Yes, you, being a Linux savvy person walked three or four friends into switching to Ubuntu/Linux. I think there would be many disasters without people like you holding their hand during installation and the process of getting their computer like their old one. In this case it's even harder because Chill is reading text instead of you actually being there to help. In a real world setting where your average user (in this case, Chill) is trying to set up a computer, a MAC or PC would suffice.

Untrust Us

Smash Journeyman
I installed Ubuntu with absolutley no help at all. I'm the only Linux user I know physically. I'm doing fine.
Maybe, but how many times did you find yourself looking online for help or perhaps edits/mods to make your computer do something like the old one did.

Ubuntu looks fine when you first install it but compared to Windows Aero it looks a bit crappy. I know you can make it have transparency and what not but I think you'd need some sort of knowledge on how Linux works to install these mods and then try to understand the complete different file system Linux uses.

EDIT: Need I say more? just take a look at your thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=264126

Is there any easy way to compile some C++ source code to run on Windows. At the moment, I need nothing fancy at all. I'm a C++ beginner, so I'll be stuck with Command-Line apps for quite a while, so once again, nothing fancy. I'm also a Linux beginner running Ubuntu 9.10, so simple step-by-step is best.
"simple step-by-step"

This does not exist. I suggest looking for a total of 2-4 hours online for the answer.

HoN3Y64

Smash Apprentice
Why are people thinking they're so pro with Linux or so above other beings, when they use UBUNTU of all distros?

Top Bottom