• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ATTN: EVERYONE going to *Pound* 4. (SUPER SERIOUS POST)

G U R U

Smash Lord
Brawl seems to be a bunch of medium-sized groups headed by one or two people (i.e., drivers) that direct them. Melee players are more like "**** it, I'll find a way. PREREGISTERING", and then they ride on top of the car like teen wolf.
OMG this is soooo true XDXD

Once I get my passport, I shall Prereg. Hopefully that is sooner rather than later.

Tero.

Smash Champion
TO's should really be glad if they have people like Doom around.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Wow. I am severely disappointed by the lack of confirmation amongst the Brawl players...

Me being a hypocrit and not having registered, I have no room to talk, but I often find myself thinking of a way to make it through. I'd rather register once I've gotten tickets and the like.

If I can get to Hawaii twice for tournaments, and make it to Genesis, I can sure as hell find a way to get to this. I'm getting out of pools. And I am going to make it far. Chudat, if you read this, I want you in my pool, or to face you in the brackets. Your encouragement after Genesis was just what I needed to keep going.

Hype Brawl, you lazy *******s. Hope to be registered before the end of the month. We'll see. Hopefully SuPeRbOoM & KillL0ck can come too.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I've just gotta wait to see how money situations act out as Christmas expenses are coming up. The extra $ added on each month has been a pretty big deterrent to registering too, as it gets closer I have less spending money AND it is more expensive XD

Mr. Ganondorf

Smash Journeyman
Good job OP. Unfortunately, that weekend, the company I work for is sending me on a mandatory, expenses paid seminar in Nashville, TN (I live in CA so that's kinda big deal.) I would prly quit for smash, but I love my job. I wish my excuse weren't so good T_T

Dekar173

Justice Man
Good job OP. Unfortunately, that weekend, the company I work for is sending me on a mandatory, expenses paid seminar in Nashville, TN (I live in CA so that's kinda big deal.) I would prly quit for smash, but I love my job. I wish my excuse weren't so good T_T
Your life and being secure (especially right now) is more important than Smash.

There will always be another tournament, but there won't always be such good job opportunities ;)

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
So naturally, like any reasonable Smasher, I am attending *Pound* 4. I've been very lax about keeping updated with the thread, but I just checked it and saw that there are 127 pages (note that I'm set to 40 posts per page, for all you 10/page users that'd be 508 pages). The thread title lists interest from Canada, Puerto Rico, the UK, Sweden, Colombia...you name a country with a Smash community, it's there.

I'm not sure if you've grasped the concept yet, but in case you haven't, that is a HELL OF A LOT OF HYPE. People are coming from all over the world to come play Smash for three days in this gorgeous venue Plank has acquired for us. I went to scope out the prereg page for prices and such to look at how much I'd have to acquire to pay for the tournament. I saw there was a "Players" section on the website, and looked at it to see how many hundreds of people had signed up.

Now, to anyone who decided to skip ahead and do this, you surely will be sharing my dismay. You want to know how many people were signed up? A mere 70 for Melee, and a PATHETIC 26 for Brawl! That's just sad, guys.

Most of you are probably saying, "But Doom! The tournament is in three months, why worry about preregistering now?! Of course everyone's gonna come!" Well, you're wrong for two reasons.

Reason #1

Plank is increasing the cost of preregistration by $2.50 every month that you wait to sign up, starting with August. Even though that's not that much money, I know most Smashers are cheap (like myself) and want to avoid spending any more than they should. This means that the registration has already gone up $7.50. By procrastinating, you kids have cost yourselves:

• 7 McChickens/Whopper Jrs.
  • 2 packs of Yu-Gi-Oh/Magic/whatever-card-game-you-******s-play-nowadays cards
  • 1 and a half delicious Subway footlongs
  • A copy of a small paperback piece of fine Shakespearean literature, Hamlet for instance
  • A short session with a prostitute

Look at all the things I can think of to buy with $7.50. Instead, by waiting, what have you bought yourselves? Absolutely nothing! If you want to wait until January, you're flat out wasted an entire $15...and don't even get me STARTED on what you can do with $15.

Reason #2

The second reason that you're wrong is because no matter how much hype a thread title produces, no matter how many posts that thread has from players from all over the world, money speaks louder than words. If you see hundreds of pages of posts, you'll certainly want to come to this tournament. However, if, like me, you looked at the list of registrants and saw a puny 70 or 26 (depending on the game you are interested in), you would be much less inclined to go, right? If the tournament isn't living up to its hype in concrete evidence (people who already paid to go rather than just expressing interest), it's not as appealing.

Even if you don't think the same way (I actually don't, but it doesn't make the point any less valid), there are people out there who do. Your registration can mean the difference between an entire region of Smashers coming out to this tournament. Will SoCal want to come if they look at the registered list? No. They'll say "Oh wow, this tournament is way overhyped, I don't wanna go and only see 26 people there." By them doing that, that's another solid chunk of missing registrants on the list, which would in turn influence the opinions of another region.

*Pound* 4 aims to be the largest tournament in history (or at least, at its time). Don't become responsible for it not achieving its goal.

Footnote

No money johns. If you're too broke to preregister NOW, you have an excuse...temporarily. The cost of this tournament is $52.50 for singles and teams in one game, and $42.50 for just singles. Let's say (worst case scenario) you can't find free/cheap housing around the area, and you're rooming with only four other Smashers at the Marriott because you have no friends. $89 a night for two nights (Saturday and Sunday) between four people is $45 per person. If you eat cost-efficiently, you can feed yourself for three days with $30 (this is expensive for me, though). You drove there, so you're paying your driver $15 for gas. (Flying is a different story, but I'm assuming everyone who plans to get here by air is quite comfortable financially)

Total cost for the weekend, assuming singles + teams + hotel + food + gas: $142.50.

Scary number, huh? No, it isn't. This tournament is in 96 days as of today, October 12. To raise $142.50 in 96 days, you need to save a whopping total of $1.50 per day. This is a joke for people with jobs, but in case you're too young/lazy/busy/whatever to be employed, it can still be done very easily.

Simple solutions:

For the student

Ask six different kids to borrow a quarter in school at lunch every day.

Opt for a small fries at lunch rather than large, fatty. Or better yet, lay off the fries entirely.

Sell your sandwich to the fat kid at the table across from you if you bring your own food.

For those living at home

Do some chores or some ****. Take the garbage out, mow the lawn, rake the leaves, vacuum the living room, dust the refrigerator, **** if I know. Make yourself useful and ask your parents for a $10/week allowance or something.

For those not in school or living with their parents

Sell yourself on the street. (A++ recommended!)

Look for handiwork around the neighborhood. Do some outdoor work for the old lady down the road. Hell, set up a lemonade stand.

Trade in games/game-related items to GameStop. This doesn't pay over time, but it's likely that most of the people here can amass $150 with their merchandise.

Footnote v2.0

No johns about the lack of a credit card or anything. Ask your parents or a friend, or a friend's parents. In case nobody likes you, Visa gift cards are readily available at multiple stores, and making a PayPal account is easy as cake.

THERE IS NO REASON ANYONE SHOULD NOT MAKE IT TO THIS TOURNAMENT.

tl;dr:

PREREGISTER FOR *POUND* 4 NOW OR I WILL EAT YOUR CHILDREN.

-Doom
Brawl is garbage.... please don't come for that game.

Top Bottom