• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Attention Springfield, Ohio and Dayton area smashers

pitastic86

Smash Rookie
We are looking to start a semi annual tournament in Springfield, Ohio and we want to know how much interest there is before we go through all the planning and everything and end up only having 10 people. This is the format we are looking at right now:

Hardcore Doubles Tournament
No Items
Random Stages
Random Characters (EDIT: Selected now)

$10 Entry Fee per person
$2 for pizza (3 or 4 pieces depending on where we go) (can pay for two or more helpings)

1st place - 60%
2nd place - 20%
3rd place - 10%

10% goes to host

Tell me if this is the best format as far as singles or doubles and randomness. Mainly, are we going to get more people doing doubles or singles, and are we going to get more doing random characters or selected ones. If we do doubles, singles can come and we will pair them up with another single and we will have a standby player ready if we don't have another person for the odd man out. This is open to anyone outside of the Springfield and Dayton area smashers but I am guessing that is where the most of the gamers are going to come from. Input is much appreciated. Thanks.

pitastic86

Smash Rookie
Okay, the randomized characters was just a thought so we can take that out if there is more interest that way. But, so far there has been no interest at all in regards to a tournament in Springfield. This is open to you Columbus people too, dont forget. I would really like to get this going but if there is only going to be a handful of people, i dont think we will do it. Please respond if you are interested.

mathos

Smash Champion
Well you probably haven't gotten any interest because your post is way tooooo general.

Usually singles and doubles are 4 stock 8 minute time limit without items on a set number of neutral stages.

You don't have a date or time, so people can't dedicate to an unknown time. Because I'm sure tons of people are interested. Make a smashfest and they will come.

And hosting a tournament when you don't know anybody is usually difficult. Perhaps if you ventured out to some smashfests in your surrounding area or go to some tournaments in OH, you'll see that people want to play with people they know.

And typically hosts don't take money from the pot unless they have to pay for a venue.

In general I'd suggest looking up some other small tournaments and see how the formats are or go to some tournaments to see how they are run.

pitastic86

Smash Rookie
We havent set any of that stuff like Stock number, time limit and stages because we are just in the preliminary planning stages. Before we went through getting the venue/host and everything set up we wanted to make sure there was a substantial amount of interest.

As far as the venue goes, we were planning on asking a church. Im sure there are a few that would let us use their facilities for free but we were going to give them 10% as a thank you. If you think about it, it is only $1 per ticket.

Also, as far as further interest goes, when we get enough interest from places like this, we will set a date and time, and put out flyers to places like the local GameStops. Right now, we just want to know if there is any interest from the locals to drive here and for us to do it.

Gracias.

Eldezar

Smash Apprentice
As long as I am free on that day I would definitely participate, I haven't been to any tournaments in awhile.

Personally, I like seeing tournaments out of the norm, makes things more interesting, plus you won't have fox v fox v fox v link on final destination, everyone gang bang the one who isn't the same, then play tag for 8 - 10 minutes. However, you don't have many who aren't afraid of change, so your best bet is to go with what everyone else does.

Fizzle_Boy

Smash Ace
If you get a half-decent set of rules, I can come down, and if I'm lucky I'll get a friend or two to come along.

Sliq

Smash Master
The only way you are going to get a good turnout is by using MLG rules. Otherwise, a lot of the better people won't show up, and it will just be a handful of roll spamming nubs.

pitastic86

Smash Rookie
Okay, this is starting to look like we are getting a good amount of interest. If we can get a few more posts then we will start to talk about the next step in the process which will be establishing some concrete rules and a tentative date. I will run it by the rest of the group to see if they would consider doing a small "full random" tier in addition to the main event.

Fizzle_Boy

Smash Ace
The only way you are going to get a good turnout is by using MLG rules. Otherwise, a lot of the better people won't show up, and it will just be a handful of roll spamming nubs.
He's probably right, but on the other hand, if a bunch of noobs showed up, I would be happy to win a few bucks off em.:laugh: So I'm fine with whatever (unless the rules are such a load of crap that I will be too busy puking out hate and anger to even think about playing smash let alone showing up at all).

pitastic86

Smash Rookie
We are looking at different tournaments and rule sets to make our own (somewhat). Does anyone have a link to the official MLG rules? Just so we know what the official rules are and not i think this is what it is or whatever.

Eldezar

Smash Apprentice
Like I said, people are afraid of change, so you might as well go with the standard rules.

Here are the official MLG rules.

Sliq

Smash Master
Prizes:
1st - 60%
2nd - 30%
3rd - 10%

Bring your own controllers.

Doubles tournament, followed by singles.

•Dave's Real Stupid Rule: A stage may only be replayed if the loser of that stage re counter picks it.

Rules and Tournament Format

* Four stock
* Eight minute time limit
* Double elimination bracket
* Winner of best two out of three advances
* Best three out of five in winner's bracket and loser's bracket finals
*Seeding is by previous tourny placings at the other circuit events

(Note: depending on the turnout, you could do RR pools, and then a double elim. bracket, using the pools for seeding. Normally this would take a while, but if you don't get that many people, this would be a better way to go.)

General Rules
* No items
* Team attack on
* Life stealing allowed in teams
* Pause is off
* Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, the Ice Climber freeze glitch), or any glitch or trick that freezes the game or makes it unable to be finished are banned and will result in the immediate forfeit.
* Excessive stalling is not allowed. Tactics such as Peach's Wall-bombing and Jigglypuff's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to maneuver around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match, such as dropping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath, is banned. If by using one of these tactics, you have put your character in a place to lose a stock by ending the tactic, a judge may force you to stop and lose a life and continue the match short a stock.
* Controller mods (l-cancel/ sh mods) other than cosmetic mods (paint and stickers) are not allowed.

NO WOBBLING

(This is up to the discretion of the tournament host.)

Stages
Pool A (on random)
* Final Destination
* Battlefield
* Dreamland 64
* Fountain of Dreams (banned in doubles)
* Yoshi's Story
* Pokemon Stadium

Pool B (counter-pickable)
* Mute City (banned in doubles)
* Green Greens
* Rainbow Cruise
* Kongo Jungle 64
* Brinstar
* Poke Floats
* Corneria
* Jungle Japes

•Stages banned: Any stage that is not listed in either of these pools, is not playable in singles or doubles.

Counterpicking
•Advanced Slob Picks - Loser may choose the next stage or elect to go random, then winner may choose to change characters, then loser may change characters

Depending on certain circumstances (number of setups, people, and time) you may want to either run a straight up Double Elim. bracket seeded by location (so buddies don't play each other first round). The better way would be to split everyone into RR pools and use the results and location for seeding, and if necessary due to time constraints, you could eliminate people from the RR (i.e. Pool of 8, top 4 advance).

Fizzle_Boy

Smash Ace
Now that we've got a good set of rules to use, can we please just find a time and a place? It dosen't seem like anybody has really planned this all out yet.

Natureslayer

Smash Cadet
I would be in as well, as long as someone else I know from Detroit. I up for anything between December 14th and January 25th, anytime later and I'll be back in Oregon.

Top Bottom