• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Attack with your sheild

red stone

Smash Ace
but.... wait..... I don't get it!

and if this were just a joke I think someone would have said so by now, within 3 pages.
Are you supposed to just run towards them and put up your shield right before you get to them, and that's supposed to hurt them?

Or is it supposed to be an attack that's like a mindgame, throw your shield up when you run at them, which they aren't expecting. Then they do something stupid because they don't know what to do against something so simple and unpredictable, and THEN you put down your shield and nail them?

I feel so stupid...

edit: because I just left my computer after reading the first post and tried it with shiek and all I do is.... well, run up to them and shield and nothing happens.

yeah that happened to me with wavedashing and dash dancing. i do it right in front of people but it doesn't hurt them at all. WTH!!! i thought those were really useful techs but apparently , it has no adverse effects on my opponent at all

RazeveX

Smash Ace
GUYS GUYS GUYS!!

This IS a fairly good strategy, but its nothing on its own. I think its funny that since forward is an awesome smasher, you all go nuts over running and shielding.

Heres a better strategy (involving this one, good vs links, samuses and yoshis)

Start off the match running in and shielding, about 3 or 4 times. Usually youll hit the 1st or 2nd time, and by the 4th the opponent will get it.
THEN run in and dodge. It looks similar to a wavedash, and slides you further than the shield does. They will probably grab, leaving them open to whatever you want to do. If they wavedash back, or retreat, or dodge, then either shield, dodge again, wavedash, or something like that, if your character is fast enough, you can shine, wd to fsmash, anything like that.

Alternate a little bit, then start....RUNNING IN AND SMASHING!! they wont see it coming.

Edit: THEN you can switch it up with SHFFLing, WDing back, even ROLLING just to keep it different.

-Razevex

RyjinX

Smash Apprentice
GUYS GUYS GUYS!!

This IS a fairly good strategy, but its nothing on its own. I think its funny that since forward is an awesome smasher, you all go nuts over running and shielding.

Heres a better strategy (involving this one, good vs links, samuses and yoshis)

Start off the match running in and shielding, about 3 or 4 times. Usually youll hit the 1st or 2nd time, and by the 4th the opponent will get it.
THEN run in and dodge. It looks similar to a wavedash, and slides you further than the shield does. They will probably grab, leaving them open to whatever you want to do. If they wavedash back, or retreat, or dodge, then either shield, dodge again, wavedash, or something like that, if your character is fast enough, you can shine, wd to fsmash, anything like that.

Alternate a little bit, then start....RUNNING IN AND SMASHING!! they wont see it coming.

Edit: THEN you can switch it up with SHFFLing, WDing back, even ROLLING just to keep it different.

-Razevex
O RLY? Because we all know just running and shielding will do everything for us. thanks for this update!

MoblinMan

Smash Apprentice
yeah that happened to me with wavedashing and dash dancing. i do it right in front of people but it doesn't hurt them at all. WTH!!! i thought those were really useful techs but apparently , it has no adverse effects on my opponent at all

Okay, so it's my latter theory. thanks for not being a jerk about it.

RazeveX

Smash Ace
O RLY? Because we all know just running and shielding will do everything for us. thanks for this update!

hehe, i thought it would be the only way to get "professional smasher" attention.

The point (my point) is, dodging is better than shielding in some (most) situations like this, because its quicker to get into, to get out of, and you cant be grabbed during it.

If someone like PC Chris posted that, everyone would go "ZOMG HES RIGHT!!!!!"

forward

Smash Champion
A sheild protects you from all physical attacks.

A spot dodge only protects you against attactks on certain frames.

Why risk it?

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
I'll try to post his ideas on a more serious note... and without the ''GUYS! GUYS! GUYS!'' hahaha

I think what Mr RazeveX wanted to point out here is that if you run in and shield many times, your opponent will probably go for the grab at one point or another.

He tells us to run in and dodge in order to avoid the grab...

Don't forget that you're already ''risking it'' when you run in and shield because you might get grabbed.

Well, that's it if you spam randomly... Personally, I use it in specific situations.

Could you give a few examples of situations where ''attacking with the shield'' is a good move?

forward

Smash Champion
Attacking with the sheild is a good move when the opponent isn't going to grab, because that is its only weakness.

You can create a 50/50 style of play by using this technique.

In every situation you approach with your sheild, UNLESS you believe they will grab (in which case you would do the appropriate counter).

Of course, one must have exceptional use of the shield in order to do this, and the ability to make it look new every time.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Is it good practice to always angle your shield towards the other person? I've read about this a long time ago, and I see PC Chris do this often in videos (supposedly Vidjo does too, but I haven't seen this in his videos).

I've been trying to do this myself. It does sometimes screw up the other person's L-cancelling (especially if you play IC's), which is nice. But it should also cause the shieldstun to end sooner, allowing you to shieldgrab more often; this doesn't seem to be the case as far as I can tell.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
I've been trying to do this myself. It does sometimes screw up the other person's L-cancelling (especially if you play IC's), which is nice. But it should also cause the shieldstun to end sooner, allowing you to shieldgrab more often; this doesn't seem to be the case as far as I can tell.
This is how CJ seems to use it. Screws up Marth's Fair spacing. Nice alternative to CCing when you can't CC anymore.

Hmm but how effective is this technique with characters that have a slower ground movement? Peach for example. Neva tried that with her, I think...

Big_R

Smash Champion
Don't play ppl that just rush at you and grab, then play drephen a couple days later. I bit on the running shield with the spot dodge everytime he'd come at me. And if you're a spacie and he grabs you it's pretty hard to get up.
It's nice.

Smo

Smash Journeyman
Very nice idea I gotta try it sometime. It seems so obvious :p.

Smash World Forums: a place to nick ideas from the best of players :)

I use the spot dodge quite well actually, much to the annoyance of my friends. Spot dodge is great against attacks with high lag because it immediately puts you in control. This one is good against attacks with low-lag because you can grab out of shield.

Sorted :)

xelad1

Smash Ace
I saw a match from FC 6 where Mew2King did this a couple times to fastliketree knowing that FLT was going to forward smash. After FLT fsmashed him m2k wavedashed out of sheild and usmashed him for the win. Effective strategy, especially if you know about conditioning. One good way to use this would be to frequently go in for the aerial or grab or whatever until your opponent keeps expecting that, just see how they try to counter.... then rush in a shield, they won't expect it and it is especially useful for getting an elusive kill.

ꓰspeon

Sun Pokemon
Guys if you use your shield to approach you will attack their weakpoint for massive damage! :colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful:
Seriously, it's not a bad idea, i used to do it with luigi (after a wd) but if they attacked me they would still send me back enough to make the whole approach useless :ohwell:

Micheloxx

Smash Ace
ok guys i dont know y u almost fightin, u just didnt want to read anymore.. what i say is that, downg WD with shiled is a prtty intimidant move for your opponent because, in a momet like that one, not everyone think on garbbing u ,in luigi or IC case.

Top Bottom