• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Attack! Imperial Floral Assault Group! Sakura Shinguji for Smash Ultimate! (The Curtain Closes This Time, But the Taisho Era Continues...)

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
On the topic of the dub you think it’s possible if the 2019 game gets some sort of rerelease with a dub that they could re-record some of the songs in English since they actually re-recorded the songs sung in the anime in English?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Was looking up the voice cast on Behind the voice actors, and they brought back Sumire's voice from the english dub of Sakura wars that we got years ago to reprise her role.

That's actually pretty neat.

On the topic of the dub you think it’s possible if the 2019 game gets some sort of rerelease with a dub that they could re-record some of the songs in English since they actually re-recorded the songs sung in the anime in English?
I dont see it happening unless it were on some Switch port or something.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

Translation patch is out on May 3rd

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So apparently, there's this mobile game that didn't do very well, cost Sega a lot, and now it's closing down. Thought I'd check in for the details, and see if Sakura Wars is faring better elsewhere or if the entire revival's been struggling.
Yeah Sakura Revolution, it was heavily criticized by fans for it's stark departure from the rest of the series as it didn't have any returning characters (In a ****ing gacha based on a pre-existing IP) nor was it set during the Taisho era at all, as well as it's monetization and suffered from poor planning and management overall. It doesn't seem like it was lack of interest in the IP, quite the opposite in fact, it's more that it wasn't what people wanted from the IP.

That seems to be a trend with the revival overall, fans are dissatisfied with the deviations from the original games (like the fact Kosuke Fujishima isn't designing the characters or the change in gameplay style with the 2019 game) and have been pretty vocal about wanting a return to form, but it doesn't seem like the revival did terribly overall, at least in terms of the 2019 game, just not up to expectations, the game sold better than So Long My Love and it was number #2 in it's debut week despite the historic drop the following week.

SEGA did hold a survey when the 2019 game released overseas for user-feedback, I feel like Revolution is going to be a wake-up call for them to actively take the feedback into account which is why I'm not really worried about the series honestly. I think SEGA still sees value in the IP, I just think they miscalculated the market (which is fairly common of them) and misread consumers' interests, and they'll likely reorganize to a more streamlined approach. I think they're smart enough to realize it's not lack of interest that's a problem considering interest is what brought back the series in the first place lmfao.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Tbh I think SEGA for whatever the next entry is, should celebrate the series' history and what people love about it instead of trying to distance from it's history, even if it's a port of the 2019 game I'd love to see them embrace the series like what Fire Emblem Awakening did.

Also I will say, with all of this stuff happening despite it being pretty bad I don't think it will have any baring on a Smash inclusion whatsoever, plans would've been finalized before any of this stuff would've happened and by then it'd be too late for them to just bail since it likely would've been decided on in late December 2018. Keep that in mind, it's bad stuff but I don't think this has any baring on Smash honestly.

Marakatu

Smash Ace
What actually upsets me is the fact that Sakura Revolution had a BETTER setting for a new Sakura Wars than the new Sakura Wars we got.
Sakura Wars 2019 goes "The previous characters don't appear because... they are sealed. In a different dimension. An empty dimension. Nobody is there but them. Oh, and a demon. It's like hell. They've been there for 12 years. Except for Sumire. She feels imense guilt for being the only one left."
Damn, that's just the future I always dreamt for them!
Meanwhile Sakura Revolution went "The previous characters don't appear because this is 100 years into the future." That's it.
With a setting like that, you don't have to throw the old characters in hell. The bromides of the old characters would feel like old documents instead of photos of missing people.
And the characters from Revolution looked better too. Instead we got freaking Tite Kubo. Kubo is great at designing outfits, yes. But he's a mediocre character designer. Who even had the idea of calling him

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
What actually upsets me is the fact that Sakura Revolution had a BETTER setting for a new Sakura Wars than the new Sakura Wars we got.
Sakura Wars 2019 goes "The previous characters don't appear because... they are sealed. In a different dimension. An empty dimension. Nobody is there but them. Oh, and a demon. It's like hell. They've been there for 12 years. Except for Sumire. She feels imense guilt for being the only one left."
Meanwhile Sakura Revolution went "The previous characters don't appear because this is 100 years into the future." That's it.
With a setting like that, you don't have to throw the old characters in hell. The bromides of the old characters would feel like old documents instead of photos of missing people.
And the characters from Revolution looked better too. Instead we got freaking Tite Kubo. Kubo is great at designing outfits, yes. But he's a mediocre character designer. Who even had the idea of calling him
I honestly wish we got Kosuke Fujishima, he literally defined the series and made it what it is

Maybe if the 2019 game gets a rerelease the characters can be redesigned in his style, like with what happened with Nier Replicant and Akihiko Yoshida redesigning the characters in their style, would be nice honestly

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I actually like the 2019 designs.
I thiink they look neat.

I'm curious as to how they will handle the inevitable return of the OG cast, thats gotta leave some mental scars

Unless they just dont age because of the bizzarethings that the current gang saw while in there.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
After playing through Super Robot wars X, i really want the Sakura wars cast to return to the playable roster in this series, i hope their appearance in the mobile game doesnt end up being a one and done kind of thing because that would be cool

Flik

Smash Journeyman
I'm looking for songs to put in my modded Smash Bros but the only Sakurai Taisen song I have is the classic opening. Can you guys suggest some good for action music?

I'm more of a rock/metal guy but I also love 80's and 90's video game music, so I wonder if this franchise may hve some cool tracks for me :estatic:

Marakatu

Smash Ace
I'm looking for songs to put in my modded Smash Bros but the only Sakurai Taisen song I have is the classic opening. Can you guys suggest some good for action music?

I'm more of a rock/metal guy but I also love 80's and 90's video game music, so I wonder if this franchise may hve some cool tracks for me :estatic:
Well, besides the classic opening, which represents the squad from Tokyo, I also recommend the themes of the Paris and New York squads.
Mihata no Moto ni / Under the Imperial Flag:

Chijou no Senshi / Warriors of the Earth:

Also the staff of each squad has their own theme songs too.
Koi no Hassha Alright / Departure of Love Alright:

Hana no Paris / Flowery Paris:

Koko wa Paradise / This is Paradise:

The ending themes of each squad are good too, but they may be a little too slow for Smash.
Hanasaku Otome / Blooming Maidens:

Mirai (Voyage) / The Future (Voyage):

Kiss Me Sweet:

There are many more interesting songs in the series, sung by basically every character. Tell me if you want more (or if the songs I posted are not your cup of tea, then I'll try to post something different).

Marakatu

Smash Ace
I actually like the 2019 designs.
I thiink they look neat.

I'm curious as to how they will handle the inevitable return of the OG cast, thats gotta leave some mental scars

Unless they just dont age because of the bizzarethings that the current gang saw while in there.
I respect that.

I honestly wish we got Kosuke Fujishima, he literally defined the series and made it what it is

Maybe if the 2019 game gets a rerelease the characters can be redesigned in his style, like with what happened with Nier Replicant and Akihiko Yoshida redesigning the characters in their style, would be nice honestly
Kosuke Fujishima and Hidenori Matsubara would be the best case scenario imo.
I think there's still an opportunity to release a proper "Sakura Wars VI". Make it about the Berlin Combat Revue in 1929, by the time Rachet Altair got there, way before Sakura Wars 2019. Let Fujishima and Matsubara handle the designs of the new characters. Give us some special appearances by the old characters, like in Tokusatsu shows when the heroes of the previous seasons appear to help the heroes of the current season then go away. There could also be some ties to Sakura Wars 2019, like the fact that Elise's and Margarethe's mechas look a lot like Ratchet's mecha in Sakura Wars the Movie. Maybe throw some foreshadowing here and there about the archdemon, idk

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Well, besides the classic opening, which represents the squad from Tokyo, I also recommend the themes of the Paris and New York squads.
Mihata no Moto ni / Under the Imperial Flag:

Chijou no Senshi / Warriors of the Earth:

Also the staff of each squad has their own theme songs too.
Koi no Hassha Alright / Departure of Love Alright:

Hana no Paris / Flowery Paris:

Koko wa Paradise / This is Paradise:

The ending themes of each squad are good too, but they may be a little too slow for Smash.
Hanasaku Otome / Blooming Maidens:

Mirai (Voyage) / The Future (Voyage):

Kiss Me Sweet:

There are many more interesting songs in the series, sung by basically every character. Tell me if you want more (or if the songs I posted are not your cup of tea, then I'll try to post something different).
Thanks for the reply! Hana no Paris sounds kinda fun, I think I'll give it a try :)
Are there any battle themes, music from the OST rather than character songs? Usually these are not only more fiting but also easier to create a proper loop.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
There's going to be a 25th anniversary concert in July
Really great to hear they have anniversary plans and that the series is very much still alive, this was some great news to wake up to today.

I wonder if we’ll hear more at E3?

Marakatu

Smash Ace
Sorry for keep you waiting
Side note, only after recording I realized I should've used Prism Tower lol
Hi! I'm so so sorry for taking so long to reply to your previous post.
I just DMed you a bunch of not-so-legal stuff.
Hope you like it, and keep up the great work!
Btw I think New Pork City makes a great stage to represent New York. Maybe Shadow Moses Island to represent Tokyo? The Metal Gear do look like Sakura Wars enemies.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Hi! I'm so so sorry for taking so long to reply to your previous post.
I just DMed you a bunch of not-so-legal stuff.
Hope you like it, and keep up the great work!
Btw I think New Pork City makes a great stage to represent New York. Maybe Shadow Moses Island to represent Tokyo? The Metal Gear do look like Sakura Wars enemies.
Saffron City is literally Tokyo lol

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

New Sakura Wars Fanbook has HQ pictures of very early concept art of the first game by the late Misa Yanagisawa

Sample:

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Not in my top twenty, but I support any influential magical girl character.

Last edited:

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Never posted here before, but just swinging by to let y'all know that, of all the potential Sega reps people are theorizing about for FP11, I'm actively rooting for Sakura. Just started playing these games about a year ago and there's really nothing like them.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Okay so i just wanted to mention that Akiyama's voice actor is set to appear in the upcoming Super Robot Wars game on the Switch.

For those that dont know Super Robot wars is a crossover RPG franchise where different mecha pilots team up to stop big multiverse level threats. The only mecha series he seems to have appeared in is Sakura wars so either he's voicing one of the games original characters, like the new protagonist or it's possible Sakura Wars is appearing in the game.

We dont have the full roster confirmed yet, so far only Code Geass, Gundam, Mazinger, Gaogaigar and Getter Robo.

It probably doesnt mean anything i just wanted to mention it.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Okay so i just wanted to mention that Akiyama's voice actor is set to appear in the upcoming Super Robot Wars game on the Switch.

For those that dont know Super Robot wars is a crossover RPG franchise where different mecha pilots team up to stop big multiverse level threats. The only mecha series he seems to have appeared in is Sakura wars so either he's voicing one of the games original characters, like the new protagonist or it's possible Sakura Wars is appearing in the game.

We dont have the full roster confirmed yet, so far only Code Geass, Gundam, Mazinger, Gaogaigar and Getter Robo.

You mean kamiyama?
His VA doesnt really seem to be credited for any mech series other than SW.

Marakatu

Smash Ace

Please please please give me the source

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
You mean kamiyama?
His VA doesnt really seem to be credited for any mech series other than SW.

Now everyone, let's not get TOO excited; for all we know SW19 could have been his break into the industry and he could be voicing an OC. Hype responsibly...

...but if it means more Hatsuho (oh, and I guess SW in general) in the world, then I will literally combust

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Could just be for SRW DD too lol
Wouldnt even be that unusual, Sakura Wars has already showed up in SRW a couple times but it's mainly in spin off titles and has yet to actually appear in the main series.

Please please please give me the source
I'm not really that confident in my sources since it's just translations of japanese articles, but apparently at the upcoming 30th anniversary stream one of the things they are doing is some kind of panel thing with some of the upcoming games voice cast and he's listed as one of the voice actors.
The others having credits like Gaogaigar, Gundam and past SRW titles. Which those at least make sense.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

Oldschool SEGA dev and Director for the first Sakura Wars has passed away

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
A thing to note is that so far Sakura Wars hasnt even been tagged for the 30th anniversary stream, while almost every other franchise that's been in the series so far has been dumped into the tags for the japanese stream. Now they are still updatng said tags, slowly adding more as the stream gets closer but so far SW is absent.

For those curious these are the tags:
Gundam Zeta
Gundam CCA
Mazinger Z Infinity
Getter Robo Armageddon
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Resurrection
GaoGaiGar Final
Gundam 0079
Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket
Victory Gundam
Gundam Wing TV
Gundam SEED Stargazer
Gundam Age
Mazinger Z vs. The Great General of Darkness
Shin Getter Robo vs Neo Getter Robo
J-Decker
Knight's and Magic
SSSS Gridman
Armored Trooper Votoms Roots of Treachery
Rahxephon
Ganbaruger
Fafner in the Azure
Dangaioh
Xabungle
Gundam ZZ
Gundam Unicorn
Gundam F91
G Gundam
Gundam Wing Endless Waltz
After War Gundam X
Gundam Turn A
Gundam Reconguista in G
Gundam SEED Destiny
Gundam 00 Awakening of the Trailblazer
Code Geass: R2 TV
Gun x Sword
Might Gaine
Gaogaigar TV
Neon Genesis Evangelion 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone
Neon Genesis Evangelion 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance
Neon Genesis Evangelion 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo
Gurren Lagann the Movie: Gurren-Hen
Gurren Lagann the Movie: Lagann-Hen
Armored Trooper Votoms (TV)
Armored Trooper Votoms Shining Heresy
Aura Battler Dunbine (TV)
New Story of Aura Battler Dunbine
Zambot 3
Daitarn 3
Trider G7
Gunbuster
Diebuster
Aquarion TV
Aquarion Evol
Cross Ange
Nadesico Prince of Darkness
Full Metal Panic
Full Metal Panic Second Raid
Full Metal Panic Fumoffu
Wataru S1
Godmars
Tetsujin 28 (80's)
Dai-guard
Cowboy Bebop
Rayearth

Macross 7
Macross F Movie 1: Itsuwari no Utahime
Buddy Complex Kanketsu-hen

Gundam 0083 Stardust Memory
Gundam NT
Gundam SEED HD Remaster
Gundam 00 (First Season)
Gundam Build Fighters
Mazinger Z TV
Great Mazinger TV
Mazinkaiser (OVA)
Mazinkaiser SKL
Getter Robo
Getter Robo G
Getter Robo Go
Code Geass: R1 TV
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion 3 - Glorification(?)
Code Geass: Akito the Exiled
Exkaiser
Betterman
Majestic Prince
Captain Earth
NG Ramune 40
Zegapain
Neon Genesis Evangelion TV
Neon Genesis Evangelion: End of Evangelion
Voltes V
Daimos
Armor Hunter Mellowlink
Fang of the Sun Dougram
SPT Layzner (TV)
Heavy Metal L-Gaim
FLCL
Overman King Gainer
Eureka Seven TV
Eureka Seven AO
Infinite Ryvius
Daltanius
Vandread
Gasaraki
Panzer Galient TV
Star Driver TV
Star Driver Movie
Demonbane
Zeorymer
Metal Armor Dragonar
Heybot!
The Vision of Escaflowne
Juushinki Pandora (Last Hope)
Macross DYRL
Macross Plus
Macross Zero
Patlabor Early Days
Gear Fighter Dendoh
Gravion Zwei
Tiramisu II
Zombie Land Saga
Galaxy Angel
Zegapain ADP
Aldnoah Zero
Valvrave

Obviously this list is because it's an anniversary stream and they gotta show gameplay of past games so it just makes sense to tag past franchises, but odds are some of these are getting into the new game.

Top Bottom