• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atheism and morality

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
What? Where did I say future intended interactions? How does this relate?
I thought this was what you mean by ceasing the interaction to make it so there are no future interactions.

Yes, but he also knows that he isn't guaranteed the job if he decides to apply. Everything was set up according to an agreement and executed according to that same agreement. Where is the unfairness in this? Just because something doesn't go accoring to someone's wishes doesn't mean immorality was involved.
I don't see any agreements. I just want a job and you can give me a job.

By the way, I don't see any unfairness personally, but it seems to me that the criterion for unfairness that you outlined would apply to this situation. I thought your criterion was "putting someone in a undesirable situation" - so if something goes against someone's wishes, clearly they are in an undesirable situation.

Yes, if they do it because they know it's going to bother someone. But if that someone is a person who is trying to put unjustified restrictions on the rights of the gays, then he is acting immorally and justice should be applied to him to prevent him from acting on his immoral motives.
It's difficult to determine intentions. The homosexual couple might be doing it to annoy the religious person, or they might just being doing it because they want to.

Mike

Smash Apprentice
I thought this was what you mean by ceasing the interaction to make it so there are no future interactions.
Not necessarily. Although what I said ends up not really supporting my point so let's pretend it never happened.

I don't see any agreements. I just want a job and you can give me a job.
There was an unspoken agreement. It is understood that if you applied for a job and were not the most qualified, you would not get the job.

By the way, I don't see any unfairness personally, but it seems to me that the criterion for unfairness that you outlined would apply to this situation. I thought your criterion was "putting someone in a undesirable situation" - so if something goes against someone's wishes, clearly they are in an undesirable situation.
It's not simply as you stated. The entire statement is: A motive is immoral if it, without just cause, includes intentionally acting on a subject in a way that goes against the interests of that subject.

In the example, while it is undesirable for you to not be hired, it would be even more undesirable if you were not allowed to apply in the first place. If the recruiter was not allowed to reject applicants, he would not open it to the public. Therefore, it is to both of your interests to allow the recruiter to reject applicants but open recruitment to the public.

The moral system doesn't evaluate scenarios separately. The big picture must be considered, else pushing someone aside to save his life would be considered immoral.

It's difficult to determine intentions. The homosexual couple might be doing it to annoy the religious person, or they might just being doing it because they want to.
Yes, but determining someone's motive is different from determining the morality of a motive. The former has to do with the practical application of an ethical system and the latter has to do with the philosophy of one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom