• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[AT] New Link AT?

pants name guy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-7849-1985
I was fooling around in the english eshop demo today and I found out that if you item drop in the air, then you will zair and item drop simulaneously (unless you release the button before dropping it). Since zair autocancels and is really good for spacing and all that jazz this could be kind of useful. They also made it so that bombs are a LOT easier to drop on the ground without them exploding. Pressing grab at the peak of your short hop will drop your bomb on the ground without it exploding and toss out your clawshot. I'm gonna call this the SHIZ (short hop item zair).

Another thing: if you release grab before actually dropping the bomb within the first few frames of your jump animation, you won't zair, and you can recatch the bomb by pressing A (thus effectively performing any aerial out of short hop with a bomb in your hand). This might have some potential for cool mixups just by decreasing how commitment pulling a bomb involves and giving you more options. It's kind of like how Peach can do aerials with turnips in her hand, but only if she's floating. So far i've only been able to do it with nair, but theoretically it should work with bair and fair too. It's kind of difficult to time, though, and it's hard to test when the level 1s are attacking you and you can only do 2 minute time matches. I'm calling this one the SHAIC (short hop aerial item catch).

Last edited:

thedoctr11

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedoctr11
Neutral Drop > Aerial would catch Link's bomb in Brawl. But the Zair Drop doesn't sound familiar. I could be wrong.

**EDIT**
Ok so i tested it and in Brawl Z would just neutral drop. No tether would come out.
Good catch.

Last edited:

FSK

Smash Ace
If you press L the first frames you leave the ground and input an aerial you will recatch the bomb while performing the aerial. In Brawl this was called ZAC. (Z-drop Aerial Cancel) You can do nair, fair, dair, bair and uair in brawl as well as in sm4sh. The Z-drop zair could also be done in brawl but was a lot slower, you would just double press Z in the air. The bomb would explode when hitting the ground.

You can also instant bomb throw in sm4sh, which is another brawl AT. Throw a bomb upwards, jump when it comes back down and press R->A and a direction you want to throw. Link will catch the bomb and immediatly throw it.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
If you press L the first frames you leave the ground and input an aerial you will recatch the bomb while performing the aerial. In Brawl this was called ZAC. (Z-drop Aerial Cancel) You can do nair, fair, dair, bair and uair in brawl as well as in sm4sh. The Z-drop zair could also be done in brawl but was a lot slower, you would just double press Z in the air. The bomb would explode when hitting the ground.

You can also instant bomb throw in sm4sh, which is another brawl AT. Throw a bomb upwards, jump when it comes back down and press R->A and a direction you want to throw. Link will catch the bomb and immediatly throw it.
If you the last section of what you say is true. I think I love you.

Gaggy Rogers

Smash Rookie
I could maybe see this being an alright "get off my back" option if you've got a bomb in hand. You can back off mid-air after dropping the bomb and hit with both hits of the zair for a cool 12 damage unstaled.

Metal B

Smash Journeyman
Seriously "Bomb Dropping" is a fantastic tool for Link.
With it you actually can place Link's bombs like mines, which is a fun technic for mind games. The CPU at least compatibility gets nuts and will spam the shield, if it is close to a bomb. There are also ways to combo opponents into bombs and i almost broke a shield, by hitting a CPU's shield with two Aerial Down-A and pushing him closer to a bomb.

They also act as an shield for big or close to ground particles (as if Link hasn't enough shields). It eat Mario's Fireballs and Pikachu's Thunder Jolt, if they hit them on the ground, and stops Villager's Lloid Rocket. Sometimes the bomb will explode on impact and other times the bomb will simply eat it up unharmed. This unpredictably also is a big plus point for the AT. A opponent can never be sure, when the bomb will explode. Link can simply hide behind it, spam arrows, boomerangs or other bombs and then throw the bomb before him, if your opponents comes near.

The only downside could be, that your opponent can simply pick the bomb up and use it against Link. But most of the time this is actually great. Even so the bomb goes nice damage, it hasn't much knockback. Forcing your opponent to pick up the bomb instead of using his normal moves is great.

It's is just fun to play around with the bombs like this.

Last edited:

Metal B

Smash Journeyman
So i filmed a short video, showing the Bomb Dropping (excuse me for sucking. The camera setup made it a little hard to play). I also failed to get a Non-Hookshot Bomb Drop in the match :/

Last edited:

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
I wonder how useful this becomes when you factor in his custom bomb moves

Metal B

Smash Journeyman
I also noticed at 1:52, that you can use Link's running attack to pick up a bomb and throw it at the end.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
This is cool I like bomb dropping!Can someone explain how tobomb drop to aireal?

Metal B

Smash Journeyman
You can Bomb Drop only with ZAir (Pressing the L-Button on the 3DS in the air). If you press it right after an short-hop, you can Bomb Dropping even without Link drawing his hookshot.
There should be no other way to do this. It looks like, the only reason Bomb Dropping works at all, is because Link has to have his right hand free to use his hookshot. Instead of throwing the bomb in his hand, he simply let it drop, what the games doesn't recognizes as throwing.

Last edited:

pants name guy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-7849-1985
This is cool I like bomb dropping!Can someone explain how tobomb drop to aireal?
You have to input the z-drop (L-drop on the 3DS, I guess) within the first few frames of your jump if you don't want to hookshot, which is actually pretty hard. I'm probably gonna wait until i can play the wii u version with a gamecube controller before i seriously practice it or anything. Anyway, after you drop it, pressing the A button will "pick up" the item in midair if it's still close to you, and it will also use an aerial at the same time. Once you get the timing on the drop right it's pretty simple. Keep in mind that smash 4 is the only game where the hookshot will come out during a Z-drop, and I'm not sure whether you can catch items with A in Melee.

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
It sounds like if you bomb drop anywhere but right out of jump your hookshot will always come out. Thats a little disappointing since I enjoyed bomb dropping and recatching with nair

Last edited:

dskank

Smash Journeyman
you can also zair without dropping the bomb by cancelling an air dodge with zair. its works the same way it did i brawl, you can cancel are dodge with zair as early as frame 1 so when you exicute it it looks just like a normal zair only holding a bomb. this allows or bomb zair->bomb throw as a mix up. you can also use this to cancel the ending frames of a normal air dodge into the auto-cancel landing of a zair.

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
(short hop aerial item catch).
This is a GREAT tool for offstage play. You can potentially use it to have extra coverage while your tether can get you closer to the bottom to try and get a finisher spike or up b on those characters who have godlike recovery. I love this.

I'm testing this out and it looks like when I go forward a little bit (with the right/wrong timing) my bomb is sent to the void, never to return. Seriously I'm dropping a few bombs then having some
disappear.

Also how do I item drop without tether coming out?

Last edited:

Bravo

Smash Cadet
NNID
E.Bravo
3DS FC
0877-2579-3179
If there is indeed a reliable way of dropping bombs without zairing, as suggested by some of you, then this is gonna be great news, behold, bomb canceling! http://youtu.be/GSU0FzdvHtE
Edit: Just found out that if you press L just before landing, the zair doesn't come out, so you can drop it at the floor, then short hop aerial next to the bomb to catch it + fast fall + bomb cancel (down b at landing)

Last edited:

MagmarFire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MagmarFire
3DS FC
3737-9549-8452
you can also zair without dropping the bomb by cancelling an air dodge with zair. its works the same way it did i brawl, you can cancel are dodge with zair as early as frame 1 so when you exicute it it looks just like a normal zair only holding a bomb. this allows or bomb zair->bomb throw as a mix up. you can also use this to cancel the ending frames of a normal air dodge into the auto-cancel landing of a zair.
This worked nicely in Brawl, but I think it bears mentioning that Smash 4 gives Zair noticeable landing lag if it's used after an air dodge, unlike in Brawl (which is annoying as crud, since that makes Zair -> bomb throw approaches more risky).

Bravo

Smash Cadet
NNID
E.Bravo
3DS FC
0877-2579-3179
This worked nicely in Brawl, but I think it bears mentioning that Smash 4 gives Zair noticeable landing lag if it's used after an air dodge, unlike in Brawl (which is annoying as crud, since that makes Zair -> bomb throw approaches more risky).
Unless you have a bomb in your hand, that way you can airdoge, zair, down b when you land to throw the bomb and cancel the lag that you would have otherwise

MagmarFire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MagmarFire
3DS FC
3737-9549-8452
Unless you have a bomb in your hand, that way you can airdoge, zair, down b when you land to throw the bomb and cancel the lag that you would have otherwise
Very true, although the downside to that is that it only allows for a single Zair -> bomb throw, so mixing it up with a second or even third Zair to a bomb throw (like one could in Brawl) is risky business. Not that that's a game breaker or anything like that. Just a tad annoying, is all.

But canceling the lag with a bomb throw feels pretty dang good, for the record.

GaZ_

Smash Rookie
You can honestly short hop > zair bomb drop > any aerial. it has to be one very swift combo with only a few frames between each input. but this can be done right from the ground without any prior jump. I'll try to get a video.

It'll be awhile before I get a video, I gotta get ready for work. basically you just do the immediate bomb drop technique (short hop, zair) > any aerial as fast as possible. however combining all these movements while running complicates the input.

Last edited:

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
You can honestly short hop > zair bomb drop > any aerial. it has to be one very swift combo with only a few frames between each input. but this can be done right from the ground without any prior jump. I'll try to get a video.

It'll be awhile before I get a video, I gotta get ready for work. basically you just do the immediate bomb drop technique (short hop, zair) > any aerial as fast as possible. however combining all these movements while running complicates the input.
A video would be highly appreciated, no doubt.

GaZ_

Smash Rookie

I didn't bomb cancel at the end because A) it's obvious it's possible, B) I was holding my 3ds so awkwardly while trying to record it made this much more difficult. and C) I'm still inconsistent with this.

I have done this with all the air move and successfully done a bomb cancelled recovery though.

Basically what I'm doing here is the jump cancelled bomb drop with Zair, and doing any aerial move afterwards FAST results in picking the bomb back up. Then you fastfall and downB to cancel the landing lag into a bomb throw. Fastfall not necessary. You can do this running, with Bair moves, and should work with peach and toon link as well.

EDIT: I should also add that when you do the Zair, you have to return your movement to neutral. If you're holding any direction you'll just throw the bomb. so basically you go neutral for a split second when you Zair, then input the direction of your aerial. I learned Melee SHFFL a lot time ago (is it even still called that?) and this is insanely difficult to do compared to that. I come from a Street Fighter background and this feels like a 1 frame window to me.

Last edited:

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Do you use the hookshot because it keeps interrupting me when I use Zair...

GaZ_

Smash Rookie
Do you use the hookshot because it keeps interrupting me when I use Zair...
Zair ~= hookshot. If you're getting a hookshot when doing this technique you're doing the Zair too late, it seems with further practice that Zair needs to be done on the 1-2 frames link is in a jumping state but hasn't quite left the ground. This is what results in him not producing the hookshot.

Top Bottom