• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[AT] Cancelled Reverse Aerial Rush Grab (CRARG)

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
Question, why is fast falling considered part of the technique? I understand that fast falling is useful in general, but I find it very difficult to short hop ---> fast fall ---> perform a back aerial just before hitting the ground. Without the fast falling part I find this technique relatively easy to perform, though.
FF is required or else your aerial won't auto-cancel.

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
FF is required or else your aerial won't auto-cancel.
I'm pretty sure this isn't true, given that I seem to be able to do it without fast falling... Well, at least I think I'm doing it right, without fast falling. It seems to work in training mode.

Last edited:

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
I'm pretty sure this isn't true, given that I seem to be able to do it without fast falling... Well, at least I think I'm doing it right, without fast falling. It seems to work in training mode.
Yeah FF is not required. FF can make the timing a lot easier and you don't have to be as precise with your timing.

But the reason you want to FF is so that you can get into the attack faster so your opponent has less time to react. Rosalina is pretty floaty, so turning around and jumping backwards slowly isn't really safe, and it gives the opponent more time to predict what you are about to do.

I recommend that you try to practise this technique from a FF if you plan on using this technique at all. Trust me, it's worth the trouble.

Flapstick

Smash Cadet
Question, why is fast falling considered part of the technique? I understand that fast falling is useful in general, but I find it very difficult to short hop ---> fast fall ---> perform a back aerial just before hitting the ground. Without the fast falling part I find this technique relatively easy to perform, though.
Not necessary, but it is useful. Fast falling makes autocancelling your aerial easier and generally, less time in the air is better. I do get your point though, no the fast fall is not necessary. I find ff-bair pretty easy, it just feels weird. It'll also be ezpz once we get GC's.

Hacky

Smash Cadet
NNID
SN_Hacky
3DS FC
4513-4712-4723
Switch FC
2414 6996 3456
Pretty much what I was thinking. Luma's B-Air doesn't even have enough priority to stop incoming attacks. If this tactic is proven to 100% trap your opponent, it would still probably only be good for a surprise attack on a shielding foe. You can see this approach coming from a mile away (especially when you jump backwards), so it is not safe at all if your opponent knows what you are trying to do. But it's still pretty useful to know about for when the opportunity arises.
I do agree that Rosa is very open during this, so this isn't something you would come out trying to land right away. But it's a great mixup if you see your opponent just sitting in shield all day.

Percentful

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5026-4947-0924
This has so much potential in my opnion.
Here's an option that I've tested that works: you can RAR but with dair, and keep in mind that dair autocancels with a little extra time. If you hit with the 7% spike, at low percentages the opponent will only flinch without moving (at higher percentages they can tech this). From there, you're free to do the bair to turnaround grab. Through in a few pummels and a follow up after a throw and you can easily do more than 30%. This feels a lot safer as an aggresive approach, because if you screw up there are the 8% Rosa hitbox and the luma hitbox, both of which have safe knockback.

(Note that the timing and spacing has to be perfect, and it's really hard to do on big characters. However, on a big character an uthrow can lead to a usmash which is cool.)

Other options:

Because of the timing of dair, you can actually double jump away instead of using bair if you so desire.
With good timing, the bair leads to a guaranteed Usmash. I got this to work at 150% and higher.
As a safe option, you could roll away or dodge in anticipation of the shield grab.
You could throw out another shorthop dair.

Autocancels are very kind to Rosa. This is a really nice mixup.

Last edited:

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
@ iiGGYxD iiGGYxD , I noticed you pulling this off in a recent match.

How often do you find yourself using the CRARG? What's the situation you're looking for when you try to use it? In this particular case you were punishing the ending lag of Meta Knight's Drill Rush, of course.

iiGGYxD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiGGYxD
3DS FC
0447-7543-7353
It's not something you would see connect regularly in any match imo...I saw him commit to a laggy move and i wanted to style a little so I went for it here lol...ofc most people see it and don't know what's going on. If you can condition your opponent to start spacing at a certain range it's good to throw out as a mixup, but besides that it's hard to get any use from it on a regular basis.

As the meta advances though who knows, maybe we'll have an open eye for some of her tricks like this.

Keytrun

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keytrun
3DS FC
1908-0553-7302
So any tips on doing the LL nair into throw? I feel like the rosa just jabs too often. Also, for fast falling + forward or back attacking with luma: how do you make that work? How can you hit down and left / right on the stick at the same time? I can do it without the fast fall because I just hold the direction. Any advice?

Top Bottom