• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Assuming the Starting Roster is the Original 8, Who Will You Start With?

Who Will You Start With?

• Total voters

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Gotta start with good old Kirby! I have been using him since I first played Smash and it is a character I can pick up and play because of that. Also I'm excited to see how he has changed.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Why isn't random a vote?

Since Brawl I've always started the game with an only random match on Battlefield. One of my best memories was me getting Donkey Kong and my brother getting Bowser and us both hating it because of the slower Brawl physics lol. But it's always the best way to start the game imo.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Even though I have more experience with Link and Samus (and Falcon is my main Smash 64), I'll start with Mario because he was the first Smash character I ever picked up and could do something with. Plus, it's been tradition that I start with Mario and complete his Classic mode run before anyone else in every Smash game.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I don't particularly care for any of the Original 8 - they're all rather plain in my eyes, and the only one of them who got anything close to an interesting rework this time was Link - but if I have to choose one, then I guess I'm defaulting to Pikachu... he was the first character I ever put my P1 cursor on way back when, so it would be kind of cool to come full circle for the ultimate Smash game 10-ish years later. Once I unlock any of the characters in my sig, however, I'm ditching him for someone I actually have interest in using.
If the starting roster expands to the Original 12, on the other hand, that'll be a different story...:ultjigglypuff:

Last edited:

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Mario (modulo PhD)'s been one of my top three characters played in every Smash to date, so no doubt he'll be the first I play out of the original eight.

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
Yoshi was my favourite video game character as a kid! I always played as him in the N64 version so I'll probably stick with him mostly right off the bat. However, I like to play around so I'm sure I'll play with everyone. Just hoping my main dude G&W doesn't take too long to unlock like he often does.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If It's the original 8, I'll start off with Mario, seems just right to start off with Nintendo's main man, especially considering this game is basically a huge celebration of Smash as a whole. Plus he's one of my mains too.

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
if 12, luigi, if 8, yoshi, fox is also tempting, but i wasnt too fond of him in 4.

Gotta admit I found the ambiguity if it's 8 or 12 at the start kinda annoying. I mean this IS ultra nitpicky, but still

Last edited:

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
It's a tough call, since to this day I have an affinity for a good chunk of the OG roster. Kirby was the first fighter I ever played as, but I've been killer as Mario since those days. It's been a while since a founding member has received an overhaul like Link has, so maybe-

Nah, I'm gonna go Dankey Kang. In the interest of meme-ing all over my roommate when I pick up the game.

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
Kirby. He's always been one of my favorites, for whatever reason. I'll also try out Mario, since he's my second favorite of the Original 8 as well as Link. I've never really liked him in Smash but I'm interested to see how the changes affected him.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
Pikachu until I unlock Luigi.
Luigi until I unlock Lucas.
Lucas until forever.*

Random is also an option.
*All characters will be played. The boring ones will be left behind.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Gonna have to go with Link, but if the unlockables are also available it would have to be Ness.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I main Donkey Kong in Smash 4 and really enjoy him there, so I’ll probably play as him for the most part until I unlock Ice Climbers.

(Looks like nobody else plays him though :dkmelee:)

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Personally, I believe the four unlockables will be available too, and that they were only shown 'sliding into focus' after the O8 as a reference to their original status of beingthe unlockable.

That said, Yoshi. And no not because of the TC. But because I actually like Yoshi quite a bit lol.

Dusclod

Smash Rookie
Personally, I believe the four unlockables will be available too, and that they were only shown 'sliding into focus' after the O8 as a reference to their original status of beingthe unlockable.

That said, Yoshi. And no not because of the TC. But because I actually like Yoshi quite a bit lol.
Sakurai actually talked about this in a column for Famitsu stating that he wanted to make sure no characters would go untouched by making the roster small to start and actually compared the idea of unlocking characters to that of unlocking cars in a racing game.

Last edited:

Luigi player

Smash Master
Very easy choice for me: Donkey Kong:4dk: .

I would probably also play him first even if more characters were available.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
prob go with mario or kirby depending on the mood and what unlocks what

Dusclod

Smash Rookie
Personally, Mario will be my first choice. I've always enjoyed him, even since the Melee days. I even mained him for a while in Brawl and Sm4sh.
:mariomelee::mario2::4mario::ultmario:

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Gonna start with Mario, even if I don't main the guy outside of 64, it's become something of a tradition to start each game with him for me.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Personally, Mario will be my first choice. I've always enjoyed him, even since the Melee days. I even mained him for a while in Brawl and Sm4sh.
:mariomelee::mario2::4mario::ultmario:
Yeah I can just imagine that you'd start with the original 12 rather than the original 8, since all 12 are the Smash staples, so to speak, and it would just make sense. Still leaves more than 50 characters to unlock. And I can imagine you'd go Mario, he's your most proficient dude lol.

Yoshi is most likely first pick but part of me wants to go Fox first to see if he stays nerfed as he is now or if they change him altogether. Link looks really good too. We'll obviously have to toy around with everyone, but first pick is still leaning Yoshi.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
:ultmario: Mario of course. I always play him first in every Smash game, so the tradition shall continue here.

neochiaki

Smash Rookie
I'll definitely start with :ultmario: to get used to how the game feels if it's just the original 8. If it's the original 12, I'll probably start off with :ultfalcon: or :ultjigglypuff:.

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
I gonna say Fox.
I didn't want to be generic choosing Mario or Pikachu and Fox seems like the closest I'm going to get compared to my other mains(Sonic, Corrin etc).

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill
Probably Pikachu because....idk lol. Just picked a random person on the poll since I don't favor alot of the original 64 cast. But, I need to pick somebody to unlock Falco so I can use him to unlock Bowser Jr so I can use them to unlock everybody else.

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
I will be starting off with Kirby, just as I did when I played Super Smash Bros for the very first time on the N64.

I also played my first Melee match with Kirby. With Brawl and SSB4 though, I made sure to only go with a newcomer, so for those I played with Meta Knight and Little Mac respectively.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I really loved Smash 4 Link. I realize Ultimate Link is a little different but I'm hoping not terribly so.

Though in a perfect world we'd start with the OG 12 instead of the OG 8 and I can go with my boy Ness

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
I'm happy to give Pikachu another go, I'm extremely interested in that down air spike, I can't believe they gave him one. He's also the only character I know that beats then oppressiveness that is Cloud so I can see myself actually picking Pikachu up seriously.

Foxy Alopex

Smash Ace
NNID
Foxy_Alopex
Fox all the way because he was my main in 64 along with Jigglypuff and Yoshi so I can't wait to unlock Wolf and my other mains.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
Link, and I would actually do an 8 player Smash match first with the original 8 (probably on Battlefield).
same here, but maybe on a bigger, more exciting stage... that seems like a pretty great way to start this game off. :D

link has always been one of my most favorite nintendo characters, definitely my favorite protagonist, so i'd have to go with him at first.

but once ridley is unlocked... muahahaha...

Last edited:
Top Bottom