• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

assist trophies...

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I'm sure this has been brought up somewhere before, but I had an interesting thought. Do you think assist trophies could become playable? At first I was thinking maybe there could be an assist trophy battle mode where u had to fight assist trophies and then could unlock them, but then I thought maybe a better way would be to have amiibo of some assist trophies, and if u get the amiibo, u can unlock the trophy as a character. And for ppl who don't Wana buy a bunch of amiibo, the characters could eventually become dlcs for a cheaper price (since u don't get a toy as well as a dlc).

Thoughs about any of this? There's so much work being put into assist trophies, it's weird to not have them as characters lol.

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice
I've had a couple thoughts on what they could do with these assist trophies. There could be a mode where they follow the player through something akin to Adventure mode, or even a versus mode (where you'd fight another player and their assist). What would be really cool is if somewhere down the line they had a ballot for upgrading one of the ATs to fully playable status. It'd probably have to be a character that already has the basis for being a fighter (as in they move around like a fighter, can airdodge, etc), so it couldn't be someone like Lyn, unfortunately. They'd probably want to have a new assist replace the promoted assist, since it'd be kind of weird to have an assist trophy that only existed during the first year or so of the game.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I like it. Any ideas to get assists added to the playable roster I'm 100 percent down for. Especially since these assists have so much detail (even grab and death animations) it really should be easier to do now than in the past.

Btw some of the assist trophies I'd like for this to happen to would be:

Confirmed assists:
Shovel knight
Krystal
Waluigi
Sukapon

Assists I'm assuming will be back:
Ray (custom robo)
Isaak
Saki
Takamaru/lyn

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I would like some characters to be Assist Trophies and Fighters at the same time so that Assist Trophy reveals don't upset people.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Who actually cares about assist trophies tho? Like who would prefer an assist trophy to a playable character?

Freecs

Smash Cadet
Assist trophies are cool now because you can actually hurt them, which means I can still beat up Waluigi even though he’s not playable.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Most of the assist trophies have somewhere between 1-3 attacks and very few animation. The amount of work put into them isn't even comparable to an actual character in smash so it's not as simple as just making them characters. If they wanted to make these characters playable, they would have put in the time needed and at that point you'd have to ask why make them an assist trophy at all.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Umm... You started the thread.
No I'm saying if an assst trophy was removed to be a playable characters, who cares about the assist trophy any more. The point of this thread is to discuss the possibility of assist trophies becoming playable

Most of the assist trophies have somewhere between 1-3 attacks and very few animation. The amount of work put into them isn't even comparable to an actual character in smash so it's not as simple as just making them characters. If they wanted to make these characters playable, they would have put in the time needed and at that point you'd have to ask why make them an assist trophy at all.
Ya I see what u mean, but they're really puting a lot of detail in this time. It seems like a lot and like it could be possible as somerhing in the future. The worst thing ever is to have to discount any assist trophies as playable dlc characters in the future. Waluigi and shovel knight shouldn't be trapped in assist trophy status forever. Like since Sakurai doesn't plan for dlc characters, he should be able to change his mind later, not be like oh they're already assist trophies, forget them.

Also, having an assist trophy battlemode would be pretty damn cool. You know like hundred man melee, but assist trophies

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
You discouraged my idea of having a character as both an assist trophy and a playable character but you talk about a mode where Assist Trophies are playable. What? Also, you triple posted.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
You discouraged my idea of having a character as both an assist trophy and a playable character but you talk about a mode where Assist Trophies are playable. What? Also, you triple posted.
No an assist trophy battle mode would be like a 100man melee style mode but where u fight assist trophies. I just don't think having assist trophies in game at the same time as a playable character is necesary

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
No an assist trophy battle mode would be like a 100man melee style mode but where u fight assist trophies. I just don't think having assist trophies in game at the same time as a playable character is necesary
Actually, I would be all for that. Or at the very least allow them to be like mini bosses or enemies in the adventure mode.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Well, if a character were to appear as both an Assist Trophy and a playable fighter, it could help relieve the fanboys who wanted Waluigi.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Some of the ideas discussed are pretty unreasonable and would require an insane amount of work.

The devs are not likely going to add in assist trophies only to make a special mode to make them playable, when they could just....make them playable. I can see the possibility of some assist trophies becoming playable through DLC or something like that, which would depend entirely on the demand for the specific character but other than that it's not likely we'll see any of the assist trophies become playable in this game.

That said, there's definitely a lot of potential in some assist trophies as playable fighters and it's a shame they've been relegated to just in-game summons. But Sakurai and the team can't make every fighter playable (otherwise they would have) and sometimes the best way to give recognition to these popular characters is by making them assist trophies.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Well, if a character were to appear as both an Assist Trophy and a playable fighter, it could help relieve the fanboys who wanted Waluigi.
Ya but I'm saying when they are unlocked as playable, they'd no longer be assist trophies.

Some of the ideas discussed are pretty unreasonable and would require an insane amount of work.

The devs are not likely going to add in assist trophies only to make a special mode to make them playable, when they could just....make them playable. I can see the possibility of some assist trophies becoming playable through DLC or something like that, which would depend entirely on the demand for the specific character but other than that it's not likely we'll see any of the assist trophies become playable in this game.

That said, there's definitely a lot of potential in some assist trophies as playable fighters and it's a shame they've been relegated to just in-game summons. But Sakurai and the team can't make every fighter playable (otherwise they would have) and sometimes the best way to give recognition to these popular characters is by making them assist trophies.
Well I'm not suggesting making every assist trophy playable. But since that dragon is a boss and an assist, an assist trophy battle mode wouldn't be too out there. And I'd suggest maybe 4 assist trophies max being playable in the future. I'd also be fine with them being dlc, or the mode being an added dlc later on.

Or the mode could be it's own thing, and unlocking them could be with dlc. Either way the assist trophy mode would be fun.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
There's only one assist trophy that I really want to become playable.

. Waluigi_Mario_Party_3.jpg

Other ones like Krystal and Bomberman would be welcomed as well though. Hopefully future DLC will do that.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
There's only one assist trophy that I really want to become playable.

.View attachment 158945

Other ones like Krystal and Bomberman would be welcomed as well though. Hopefully future DLC will do that.
Those too, but shovel knight is my top pick. He deserves better as the rep for indie games.

I do not. It makes very little sense from a design standpoint.
Why from a design standpoint?
My concern is once someone is an assist trophy Sakurai already has decided they will never make it even as dlc. But I find that an unfair way to decide that.. if anything, since assist trophies were added before any dlc, they were thought of more during development so they should have chances as dlc. Plus, what other characters are gona need adding at this point anyway? There's Geno, skullkid, rayman, Banjo kazooie, isaak.. beyond that, the biggest names are already there. Waluigi, krystal and shovel knight should be dlc shoe ins.

What im hoping for is that Sakurai is breaking this rule to surprise people with some characters we normally would expect to be excluded. And with his little nod to that dragon from monster hunter being a boss AND an assist trophy for the FIRST time, maybe we can se more cross overs in other ways.

Last edited:

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
Still, if certain characters like the above mentioned are highly wanted then there's always an exception.
Yes there's always exceptions, especially since a lot of the "rules" have been broken already. It's just not likely IMO.

Why from a design standpoint?
My concern is once someone is an assist trophy Sakurai already has decided they will never make it even as dlc. But I find that an unfair way to decide that.. if anything, since assist trophies were added before any dlc, they were thought of more during development so they should have chances as dlc. Plus, what other characters are gona need adding at this point anyway? There's Geno, skullkid, rayman, Banjo kazooie, isaak.. beyond that, the biggest names are already there. Waluigi, krystal and shovel knight should be dlc shoe ins.

What im hoping for is that Sakurai is breaking this rule to surprise people with some characters we normally would expect to be excluded. And with his little nod to that dragon from monster hunter being a boss AND an assist trophy for the FIRST time, maybe we can se more cross overs in other ways.
Because it doesn't make sense to make an assist trophy then make an entirely new rigged model so the character can be a fighter while retroactively removing the assist. It's unnecessary extra work. Plus the roster is already getting too big as it is.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Yes there's always exceptions, especially since a lot of the "rules" have been broken already. It's just not likely IMO.

Because it doesn't make sense to make an assist trophy then make an entirely new rigged model so the character can be a fighter while retroactively removing the assist. It's unnecessary extra work. Plus the roster is already getting too big as it is.
I don't think theyd need to rig a new model.. The assist trophies are already rigged up and have animations. And the roster size should be thrown out the window at this point. This thing is so big, it doesn't matter how big it can go.

Rikka

Smash Journeyman
There's a pretty clear gap in the level of detail and work that goes into characters compared to assist trophies. If one were to receive the jump to full character, it's very unlikely they would use the AT model.

D

Deleted member

Just like Pokeballs in the original Smash game, Assist Trophies are tokens of fanservice that are integrated into the match in a meaningful manner, and it is clear as day that they simply haven't made the cut in terms of whether development time should be as dedicated towards them as the devs usually indicate is required for full on characters.

Simply put, I don't think it would be fun to play with an overly simple moveset and super limited movement. There was something like it in Melee called simple mode where you could only use the analog stick and the A button for regular attacks. Needless to say, it was kind of boring compared to the base game.

Assist trophies are fine as is, because their presence show that the devs care about the characters and want them represented in some way. That, and the way you have to take their attacks and movement into consideration as hazards is honestly more befitting what they can currently do than something that needs to be outsmarted like a regular opponent.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Some characters are fine as assist trophies, but some are not. Someone like shovel knight shouldn't be an assist trophy. Shovel knight is the frontman for all indie games, and right now nintendo is more into indie games than anyone. An indie game mascott should be playable.

I'd also argue waluigi, krystal, Isaak, and a few others shouldn't be assist trophies either, but shovel knight really should be playable.

And I'm not suggesting have a simplified moveset. I'm suggesting with dlc, make an entirely new character that uses some assets from the assist trophy

There's a pretty clear gap in the level of detail and work that goes into characters compared to assist trophies. If one were to receive the jump to full character, it's very unlikely they would use the AT model.
This time around the assist trophies look pretty damned detailed. Not to mention they can be damaged and even thrown. A lot of assets neded for a full character are already there whereas before they were a lot more simple.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Shovel Knight was lucky to even get Assist Trophy

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You are wrong sir. As I said he's basically the mascot of all indie games, and nintendo is huge on indies. He deserves to fight with the rest of the roster and represent indies.
That's like saying a little league batter deserves to be in MLB for representation

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
That's like saying a little league batter deserves to be in MLB for representation
Man indie gamesare often way better than aaa games. And shovel knight is a beautiful representation of old nintendo games. He fits in perfectly. Your analogy is flawed.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Man indie gamesare often way better than aaa games. And shovel knight is a beautiful representation of old nintendo games. He fits in perfectly. Your analogy is flawed.
The games are also cheaper. Cheaper to make, cheaper to buy.

Try asking $65 for shovel knight and see how many people will still buy it

D

Deleted member

Appealing to the idea that indie games are per default "better" than AAA experiences is highly subjective and biased. We do see great quality, Shovel Knight included, but that doesn't mean that the singular games have much of a legacy to them.
Shovel Knight hails as a successful kickstarter, has a multiplatform presence, and has the luck of attaining an amiibo upon the Nintendo releases.

Compare that to the other 3rd party appearances;

Sonic represents the long-running rivalry between Nintendo and Sega back in the old days and his franchise is huge.

Ryu represents 2D fighters as a whole, and hails back to when people came to the Super Nintendo to play Street Fighter 2, also a huge franchise.

Megaman represents a huge franchise that has a long history with Nintendo all the way up to the Gamecube (and even Wii to an extent).

Snake represents a hit franchise that not only has a huge amount of games and a history with Nintendo, but also showcases the mark that Hideo Kojima has had on the industry thus far.

Pac Man speaks for himself, is one of the oldest and biggest franchises ever based on a single arcade game that still holds up. He's a mark of history.

Cloud is a Square representative in the sense that Square's main franchise is Final Fantasy, and Cloud is pretty much it's posterboy. I don't need to explain why Final Fantasy is a big deal.

Simon and Richter are also characters that hail from Castlevania the NES-SNES days which also grew to be a humongous and popular franchise.

And Bayonetta was voted into the game through the ballot, combined with the fact that Nintendo had faith in the Bayonetta 2 project at the time.

This means that franchises like Shovel Knight would need to branch out and be big enough of a deal for a character to happen. Is the game great? Yes. Is it a popular game? Of course! But does a single game from a newly founded company count as much for a franchise or a legacy? It will have to be regarded as a work-in-progress at best, honestly.

It's because of stuff like that that I am skeptic of my no.1 wish, Shantae, because let's face it, you gotta be the big boy to mingle with the big boys. Assist trophies are just at an entirely different category, and it is no shame for various franchises to be represented through them.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Appealing to the idea that indie games are per default "better" than AAA experiences is highly subjective and biased. We do see great quality, Shovel Knight included, but that doesn't mean that the singular games have much of a legacy to them.
Shovel Knight hails as a successful kickstarter, has a multiplatform presence, and has the luck of attaining an amiibo upon the Nintendo releases.

Compare that to the other 3rd party appearances;

Sonic represents the long-running rivalry between Nintendo and Sega back in the old days and his franchise is huge.

Ryu represents 2D fighters as a whole, and hails back to when people came to the Super Nintendo to play Street Fighter 2, also a huge franchise.

Megaman represents a huge franchise that has a long history with Nintendo all the way up to the Gamecube (and even Wii to an extent).

Snake represents a hit franchise that not only has a huge amount of games and a history with Nintendo, but also showcases the mark that Hideo Kojima has had on the industry thus far.

Pac Man speaks for himself, is one of the oldest and biggest franchises ever based on a single arcade game that still holds up. He's a mark of history.

Cloud is a Square representative in the sense that Square's main franchise is Final Fantasy, and Cloud is pretty much it's posterboy. I don't need to explain why Final Fantasy is a big deal.

Simon and Richter are also characters that hail from Castlevania the NES-SNES days which also grew to be a humongous and popular franchise.

And Bayonetta was voted into the game through the ballot, combined with the fact that Nintendo had faith in the Bayonetta 2 project at the time.

This means that franchises like Shovel Knight would need to branch out and be big enough of a deal for a character to happen. Is the game great? Yes. Is it a popular game? Of course! But does a single game from a newly founded company count as much for a franchise or a legacy? It will have to be regarded as a work-in-progress at best, honestly.

It's because of stuff like that that I am skeptic of my no.1 wish, Shantae, because let's face it, you gotta be the big boy to mingle with the big boys. Assist trophies are just at an entirely different category, and it is no shame for various franchises to be represented through them.
I get what you guys are saying, but I'm not sugesting all indie games should get a shot in smash. The biggest indie game character, most iconic, most comparable to a classic nintendo game is shovel knight. He is to indie games what Mario is to nintendo. There can be only one, and it's shovel knight.

The games are also cheaper. Cheaper to make, cheaper to buy.

Try asking $65 for shovel knight and see how many people will still buy it
Price has nothing to do with anything.

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Well at least Shantae hasn't been an Assist Trophy yet and she could get a chance to be a playable indie rep. Wayforward even thought up a Smash moveset during the Smash 4 DLC craze. So if Shovel Knight can't get in, there's still Shantae. And if Shantae gets shown as an Assist Trophy, oh well.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Could? Probably not.

Should? Absolutely yeah. So many perfectly good characters that could have been playable have been made into assist trophies while their fans get disappointed or put on a fake smile and pretend they aren't.

Last edited:
Top Bottom