• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Assigning File names

In Windows 7, you can arrange folders and files to be arranged in various ways.
"Arrange by: Folder" for example.

In most of the arrangements there you can organize them by such things like type, name, etc. By "type" it will list the file type "PNG image" or "WinRAR ZIP archive". Does anyone know how to change these names?

I do not mean about changing the file type, simply the previewer for the file type.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Are you asking how to change the extension at the end of a file? (The ".txt" or ".jpg") Or are you asking how to change wind0ws so that it says "Pink fluffy bunnies" instead of "JPEG Image" in explorer?

The first is pretty easy, you just rename the file. (Hit F2) The second is probably not possible.

Alright, here is a proper example of what I mean.

When you hover over the file, it will give you a brief description about some of its qualities.
The first image is the proper extension for any "GIF image" I decide to hover over.

However, I managed to assign the word "brawl" to any ".pac file" extension. I have no idea how to change this back. This is the only file I managed to change, but it is rather annoying at times when I forget, "Was it the .pac or .pcs file that I changed?"

The computer still recognizes it as .pac, but the previewer always tells me "brawl"

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
In Windows XP, in any Explorer window, just choose Tools > Folder Options > File Types, it's all in there.

Top Bottom