• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask Razer Anything

Are there any match-ups where you think Snake needs to avoid using nades heavily. As in it does not need to be an integral part of your play and it is actually hurtful for you ato attempt to camp.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Are there any match-ups where you think Snake needs to avoid using nades heavily. As in it does not need to be an integral part of your play and it is actually hurtful for you ato attempt to camp.
Interesting question. I honestly think that Snake can use his grenades in every match up to his advantage in some way. But I can tell you situations where you shouldn't. Playing characters like marth/TL/falco/pit where they can use projectiles or eat your shield is dangerous. Having low shields and grenades next to you only corner you more and gives them more pressure options to get you in there. You have to be disciplined and smart with them till it feels natural. Blowing yourself up only gives yourself damage and gives enemy position advantage.

Mr3ballRyRyDaddy

Smash Cadet
I keep hearing about "teching" referring to a character getting up-b by MK on like smashville against the ledge wall and teching out of it. I'm not sure what that is or how to do it. I think it is just when you don't get sent flying off the wall when that happens but I'm not too sure. Do you know what that is?

Jackson

Smash Lord
I keep hearing about "teching" referring to a character getting up-b by MK on like smashville against the ledge wall and teching out of it. I'm not sure what that is or how to do it. I think it is just when you don't get sent flying off the wall when that happens but I'm not too sure. Do you know what that is?
I know that this is Razer's thread but I might as well answer you quickly. When you have been hit, if you press shield just as you would hit a surface you wont bounce off. This can be very useful and save you from things like Marth's Up B which will spike you against the stage. Hope that helped.

Mr3ballRyRyDaddy

Smash Cadet
I know that this is Razer's thread but I might as well answer you quickly. When you have been hit, if you press shield just as you would hit a surface you wont bounce off. This can be very useful and save you from things like Marth's Up B which will spike you against the stage. Hope that helped.
Yeah that's exactly what I was talking about thanks a lot. Can you do it with shield and grab (like either button)? Also can you do that if land on your back on stage and don't wana get infinitely lazered by like falco.

Last edited:

Jackson

Smash Lord
Yeah that's exactly what I was talking about thanks a lot. Can you do it with shield and grab (like either button)? Also can you do that if land on your back on stage and don't wana get infinitely lazered by like falco.
I don't think you can do it with grab, although I'm not sure. I would shield to be safe. And yeah you can do it onstage! It's pretty cool, the characters do quick little backflips and get up. Same thing, shield as you would hit the stage.

Mr3ballRyRyDaddy

Smash Cadet
I don't think you can do it with grab, although I'm not sure. I would shield to be safe. And yeah you can do it onstage! It's pretty cool, the characters do quick little backflips and get up. Same thing, shield as you would hit the stage.
Thanks, I will have to try it with grab. I use L for grab and I airdodge with it sometimes so if it doesn't work then I'll have to adjust to shield ;P

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Yeah, teching can actually save you. You can also tech wall jump. This can get you out from under the edge to a grenade wave bounce back onto the stage. This takes precise timing and reaction though. It's quite difficult without practice.

Mr3ballRyRyDaddy

Smash Cadet
Wave bouncing = b reversals?
Also what are your thoughts on the peach matchup and campy marths. Peach kept fairing and dairing while floating. I got 5th/36 in a tourney I played in on Friday tho ;P

Last edited:

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Yes, wave bouncing = b reversals.

It's 60-40 Snake. You can use nades and camp well along with good use of ftilt. Don't let the peach eat your shield. Move out of there when you can with nades and have her hurt herself. Campy marths are tricky. You have to get the lead and camp them. Punish as they approach you and keep it going.

Mr3ballRyRyDaddy

Smash Cadet
Thanks Razer. How do you perform the instant toss with an item? Like when diddy throws a nana at you and you immediately throw it the second you catch it. People do it all the time if you dont cook nades long enough as well.

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
What's your favorite set you've ever played and do you have a link to watch it?

also pls compare your snake to Ally's and to MVD's

Mr3ballRyRyDaddy

Smash Cadet
I have 2 questions. The first is how do you the jab grab combo so quickly like at 2:50 here vs jerm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEN789jAFAY . Is that jab crounch cancel grab? Also do you try to avoid the ledges as much as possible? I find most of the times I get killed are when I am returning from a ledge and my get up option is either read or just doesn't work. Preference on get up option?

I have 2 questions. The first is how do you the jab grab combo so quickly like at 2:50 here vs jerm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEN789jAFAY . Is that jab crounch cancel grab? Also do you try to avoid the ledges as much as possible? I find most of the times I get killed are when I am returning from a ledge and my get up option is either read or just doesn't work. Preference on get up option?
Your wasting time trying to crouch. Jab has a interrupt state which we commonly refer to as IASA. Your crouch will common out on this frame the soonest. But, its also the same frame you could have inputted the grab. You are being slower trying to get the crouch first. Either buffer (input grab within 10 frames before IASA) or time it properly. About getting up off the ledge I have no suggestions since I am not sure even after like 3 years of playing lol

Mr3ballRyRyDaddy

Smash Cadet
Your wasting time trying to crouch. Jab has a interrupt state which we commonly refer to as IASA. Your crouch will common out on this frame the soonest. But, its also the same frame you could have inputted the grab. You are being slower trying to get the crouch first. Either buffer (input grab within 10 frames before IASA) or time it properly. About getting up off the ledge I have no suggestions since I am not sure even after like 3 years of playing lol
Thanks Xeylode. Is that advice the same for falco's jab grab as well?

Most characters have an IASA on jab1 and jab2. MK is the exception I know of, but I do not consider that a proper jab anyway lol.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
What's your favorite set you've ever played and do you have a link to watch it?

also pls compare your snake to Ally's and to MVD's
I can't remember from the top of my head of a set. I've had some team sets I've loved and some close single sets with people like Dojo or Gnes. Although, I remember a set in January of 2009 where I played Infinity in loser finals in a regional. I was on the rise and everyone was watching. It was like 3 in the morning. Game 5 and I was down about a 100%. I thought I was going to lose. I don't even remember it much, but I remember getting a down grab. Then another. Another read. And another. I read him the whole way and finished it. After that, the crowd jumped on my back and everyone was cheering. I ended up splitting to Lee Martin due to time constraints, but that was a really awesome moment in my career. I don't think it was recorded sadly :( lol. Me vs Dphat doing the exodia was cool too :p https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLUSBrHe8Yw

Hmm. I think all our snakes are very different. Ally is really good at Brawl itself. He pushes the game mechanics to the limits with Snake and has the best recovery. He just picks the best options to get the job done. He's the most effective player in this game imo.

MVD....I can't really comment lol. He's sort of random and does a lot of unsafe things imo. Although, people don't punish it for some reason so he's had his success too. But, I've seen situations where it actually is safe to do a fair or something. For the most part, I wouldn't do his options lol. We're just different players.

My snake likes to be fast and even flashy (this is hard to do when camping exists though). I love using explosives and use them all. I've used c4s, mines, and grenades since I started playing If I have to, I can slow it down and use good grenade play though. I try to perfect in my execution. I always try to find what works in match ups and what doesn't.

Overall, we're really different imo.

Um, from what I see at 2:50, I jumped back and did a bair near the floor. I got up and pressed jab in the opposite direction (this was a mistake). I realize it was and simply turned around after the jab animation completed. Just gotta learn how to be smooth with Snake's moves. Jab is quick and has a relatively quick cool down.

Yes. Avoid ledges if you can. Snake doesn't want to be off stage or cornered to the edge. You want to either control your side or be in the middle. Try to mix it up from the edge with all your options. Get up attack, roll, simple get up, jump grenade wave bounce backwards etc. It just depends on the situation. If they are wildly attacking, you can just get up attack or something. If they're trying to read you, mix it up.

Any advice for playing against an Olimar? Pikmin do so much damage and they're difficult to get off.
I believe I posted that on the first page so you can reference that. I usually try to jab them off. If that doesn't work, up tilt. I think there's a position where you can't though. So if those 2 options don't work. You might want to just shield and spot dodge the hits.

Sorry for the late replys y'all! Get hyped for smash 4 :)

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Razer, will you be competitive in the Smash 4 scene?
Absolutely. I really felt like Brawl died down, especially in TX. Along with the metagame, less players showed up, less competitive spirit and just wasn't the same as the first couple of years. I plan to attend whobo next month and possibly another tournament. I'm very excited for smash 4 and after the new direct, I'm hyped. It looks different which is good. I hope that this can be the true bridge for smash fans of every game.

Last edited:

Jackson

Smash Lord
Absolutely. I really felt like Brawl died down, especially in TX. Along with the metagame, less players showed up, less competitive spirit and just wasn't the same as the first couple of years. I plan to attend whobo next month and possibly another tournament. I'm very excited for smash 4 and after the new direct, I'm hyped. It looks different which is good. I hope that this can be the true bridge for smash fans of every game.
Agreed. I'm very excited for the game. Even though I've been a pretty decent Brawl player, I've never been to a tournament. But for Smash 4, I plan to. Maybe we can play sometime.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Smash 4 :)

Nope, never have lost to a Lucas. Mekos is the only one to give me a little trouble in pools before, Lucas relies A LOT on spacing and auto cancelling his nair in your shield. He uses PK fire a lot and just tries to be really slippery. Watch auto cancels dairs, fairs and nairs. They like to try and put pressure when they can. Just use proper grenades (they can't attack your shield if you have one) and proper ftilts which out prioritizes a lot of his moves. Try to read their landings since they jump a lot and do a good dash attack. Use grenades to pressure and try to convert up close with them. Also, check on grab release. I think you can ground grab release to ftilt or maybe uptilt.

A little trouble? It was last hit game 3!! xD Oh Razer haha

Clel42

Smash Rookie
Hey Razer, what do you think of the Snake vs Lucario matchup? I've been having issues with it and approaching Snake. Any tips for the Lucario player?

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Thoughts on wario mu and how to play him
Sorry for being so late lol. After whobo I pretty much quit. But you need to have great spacing and zoning. Warios are always in the air vs you. Make sure you use grenades as walls so they can't just jump in and dair your shield. Work on reading their movements in the air and mix up with pivot grabs -> down throw chases or nairs. Grab release kill with utilt or even double jump bair which will send them the opposite direction of your feet. Don't let it go to time either. Set up a wall but trap them also and try to punish. Going to time will only give them their favor. Watch their juggles in the air with the waft/uair. Get rid of bike tires or use them against him too.

A little trouble? It was last hit game 3!! xD Oh Razer haha
Was it?! Oh well lol.

Hey Razer, what do you think of the Snake vs Lucario matchup? I've been having issues with it and approaching Snake. Any tips for the Lucario player?
Um if the Lucario is Trela, it's 55-45 snake. If not, it's probably 60-40 snake. You have to more or so camp and use safe pokes and aerials and just masterful movement. If you want tips on it, I say just watch Trela videos vs snake lol.

Top Bottom