• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask Razer Anything

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
I know this forum is a little slow around here but why not. I think most of you know who I am and just wanted to say that I've retired from Brawl (quite some time ago) and will be waiting till Smash 4 to get back into the scene. But if there's anything you want to ask me Snake related or something else, go ahead and I'll try to give some knowledge :)

PEACE7

Smash Champion
The DDK mu how should i be handling bananas and how should i be using grenades against him? Any good traps or setups?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I heard that if you want to know pain, you need to know Diddy.

Please explain in a 200-word essay.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
The DDK mu how should i be handling bananas and how should i be using grenades against him? Any good traps or setups?
Well first I'd say you should handle the bananas best suited for your strengths. For example, I personally like and tried to use rushing down/offensive game despite Brawl being heavily defensive. After playing against Diddy so long, I got really got at item play and using bananas, so most of the times I'm not afraid to use bananas against Diddy. Note that using this method opens up an entire new style and thinking vs Diddy. You have to keep track if they have a banana in their hand or the relative position of the other banana (assuming you have one in yours). Whenever you throw a banana at their shield, know that it usually pops up in the air which allows Diddy to just jump and z catch it, giving them a set up to use against you. Use baits with the bananas/grenades. Pressure them so they can't just counter, because Diddy has the best shield in the game imo. Work on your spacing and developing a close range game with tilts and jabs. None are ever safe on Diddy unless you frame trap him with some setup. Look to uptilt against side B and work with your grab game. If you feel uncomfortable using bananas, THROW THEM UP. This takes them away from Diddy & doesn't allow him to spawn more bananas. Throw them up -> grenade pressure -> try to convert something. Try to read if they really want them and read their movement towards bananas and punish. Always try to pressure Diddy without putting yourself in a situation to get combo'd. This doesn't mean just lobbing grenades, because that strategy is pointless. Anyone can easily jump over them or avoid them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KNxlvFKQMQ

Here's a match from Apex 2012. Look at that or any vs me and Gnes. Note that I love item play which makes me comfortable against them. Always ban FD. I like trying to win on BF/PS1. SV is a bit tougher to win on. Let me know if you need more specifics or something else.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
I heard that if you want to know pain, you need to know Diddy.

Please explain in a 200-word essay.
Diddy Kong is what’s wrong with everything in the world. He resembles that of a dark king or some sort of evil entity that disguises himself with the innocence of a lamb. Snake is often persecuted because he’s “broken.” But this is just because he’s too manly. If you really want to know pain, all you have to do is know Diddy. He literally has the potential to destroy Snake in every way possible. Jab him and you lose a stock. Pull a grenade and Snake self destructs. This can only be explained by the voodoo magic of Diddy Kong. Each banana contains a dense molecular structure containing strains of Solid Snake’s DNA (he is a clone after all). The binding it puts on Snake is catastrophic. Up tilts begin to automatically stale. Hit boxes decrease slightly by a forty degree angle for moves such as forward tilt. Snake loses weight instantly from a solid rock to a mere crumbling brick. Diddy is not as innocent as Sakurai as portrayed him. His monkey hands burn like a thousand stoves and touching him will prove to be deadly 99% of the time. So just know the code: Know Pain. Know Diddy.

Mr3ballRyRyDaddy

Smash Cadet
Hey razer I have two questions. I hear mixed things from people better than me about whether or not playing against CPU is good or not and what level is best to train against. I definitely think using them to practice techs for dgrab is helpful but not sure about other stuff. Other thing is that I no longer have any friends that are better than me. Anyway what is your ideal regimen for getting better? Watching vids, playing money matches, tourneys, etc.
Thanks
-Clown

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
I would recommend playing CPUs just to enhance and develop your tech skill. CPUs can be predictable on down throws (sometimes they only roll forward or only do get up attacks). It shouldn't be used as a high level training. You'd really just be theory crafting against CPUs. The best practice is to play with people offline. Tourneys are great growing events in terms of skills. Play as much friendlies as you can and learn from every match. I don't really do MMs but lots of people find it beneficial. Watching videos is good to study as well. It's alright if you're better than your friends. Sometimes they can even get better and push you further. I recommend tournaments though.

Lol, I actually use the C button. I don't use GC controller. I use the wiimote/nunchuck combo. One of the few who has found success with it. But when I've used GC or can use GC, I just turn off tap jump on that and use x/y to jump.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Any idea who you're gonna play in smash 4 yet?

:059:
Currently Rosalina is looking cool. She actually reminds me of Snake and looks like she could have deep styles. I want to try Megaman but everyone is going to be using him lol. I'll just wait until the lower skilled Megaman's are weeded out and take it from there. When the game comes out, I'm going to try every character and see which one feels the most comfortable/fun. That's how I got to Snake in Brawl.

Mr3ballRyRyDaddy

Smash Cadet
What do you think is an ideal day for practicing and how many hours did you play a day before retiring? I actually just went to my first tournament ever a couple of weeks ago and I placed 17 out of about 45 which actually felt pretty good haha. Just started playing brawl about 10 months ago and never played any of the others besides 64 when I was like 8. How long did it take until you felt you were at a higher skill level?

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Well back when I first found out about the tourney scene and started going, I played daily for hours. Against CPUs and wifi (I do not recommend this at all). I then got lots of practice at tournaments and smashfests playing for hours with other people. I wasn't too active before I retired actually. Once I got that top skill level, I was able to be less intense in terms of practice, because I had such a handle on the game. So practice as much as you want/feel like you should and test the results in a tournament. If you feel like you need more work, step up the practice.

I actually got 17th at my first tournament out of 80+ back in June of 08. I left after I lost in winners (didn't comprehend double elimination since I was a noob lol). I got 17th like 2 more times, then 9th twice and then in November of 08, I got 4th beating some top players in TX. Before that, I got close so I knew I was getting close up there. Once I hit that 4th, I knew I was good but not good enough. During 09, I took over TX and knew I was the best for a while. So late 08/early 09 is when I felt like I was at a higher skill level.

Mr3ballRyRyDaddy

Smash Cadet
Thanks a bunch. The problem for me is that I need to find more people that are ok with playing for multiple hours straight because most of the people I know have been playing for like 6 years and are pretty smashed out until 4. However, I work in IT dept in college and have plenty of time to watch videos. I've already jacked a few of your moves haha. One I like is that little c4 trick on the moving platform on smashville. People always forget about it. You ever play in free tourneys or were most of them for money? I'm thinking about making a tournament in baton rouge but I don't know if people will want to play if it's free.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Thanks a bunch. The problem for me is that I need to find more people that are ok with playing for multiple hours straight because most of the people I know have been playing for like 6 years and are pretty smashed out until 4. However, I work in IT dept in college and have plenty of time to watch videos. I've already jacked a few of your moves haha. One I like is that little c4 trick on the moving platform on smashville. People always forget about it. You ever play in free tourneys or were most of them for money? I'm thinking about making a tournament in baton rouge but I don't know if people will want to play if it's free.
Yeah, Brawl is a dying breed right now man. It's still up and running in SoCal and EC but pretty down in the South. I know it's completely dead in TX. PM has taken over here. Yeah I love using explosives in my game play. Maybe a couple of times but most were for money. I'd recommend throwing a smashfest instead. A free tournament kind of holds no worth in some degree. I think more people would rather play friendlies/MMs and try to get better instead of waiting to be called to play a tourney match.
Did you ever write stuff down that you didn't want to forget and which players did you watch the most? (ally, bizkit, fatal, etc)
I did a couple of times, but just like "remember to counterpick this or ban that". Nothing too extreme. Lol, never really watched those at all. I saw Ally more out of them because he was always in top 8 in most tourneys. I watched a lot of TX videos and generally the videos of top players or high level tournament matches.

Oh really? Didn't know that lol. Which interview was this? Must of been long ago.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
I don't understand your question. I'm assuming you mean who's harder between Ness and Lucas? I'd put them about even. Good ones can be really annoying. Lucas PK fire > Ness PK fire just because Ness' shoots at a downward angle so they have to be in certain positions.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
As someone who has had his fair share of G&W-encounters, what is your opinion of the matchup?

To follow that up: Any advice for both sides?

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Whoa it's been years since I've played against a good GW lol. I think it's 60-40 Snake. You can honestly camp him big time with grenade usage. Just learn how he attacks. Bair is GW's greatest approaches. Bait it and pull a grenade while turned around and make him blow up. Don't let him just eat your shield. If he's on the floor, space with ftilt and try to build damage. Capitalize on down throws. He's light so try to uptilt him to kill to prevent bucket braking.

As GW, try to be in the air a lot. They want to sneak in and hit Snake without blowing up. Get him in the air and super punish him with frame traps. The good thing is that GW has kill power. Use up b a lot to get out of stuff. It's tough but just try to weave you way in.

| Big D |

Smash Master
Thoughts on Olimar and ICs?

Also Asa told me that once you and Gnes retired, he became the best player in Texas.

Confirm/deny?

Last edited:

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
How do you play against campy pits and an agressive fox?
Campy pits is a bit tricky. Requires great grenade work and optimal punish game. Always throw them and strip them so they must shield. Most of the time they'll go on the edge and try to shoot arrows. When they do this, time your grenade throws so it hits their bodies and is going to blow up by them. It stops them from planking. Then when they land on stage, OPTIMAL punishes. Get that ftilt if you can. Get those dthrows. It's usually gonna be a long match. And for the most part, don't get juggled by them.

Aggressive foxes are actually easier than campy foxes. Most of their approaches are through the air with dair. Use proper grenades and pivot grabs to grab them out. Read them on the dthrow and get big damage. If they start lasering, duck. Just practice against them because their up close game and shield is pretty good. Watch their uptilt and don't get read in the air. Lots of time they'll wait for the air dodge and capitalize big. Just takes practice.

Thoughts on Olimar and ICs?

Also Asa told me that once you and Gnes retired, he became the best player in Texas.

Confirm/deny?
I think it's in Snake's favor tbh. I'm like the only one lol. I've always had a handle on the MU. The goal is for you to try and force your way in. Once you get up close to Olimar, you can destroy him. Use nades and get him in the air. The tough part is breaking through the camp. Jab takes pikmin off of you 80% of the time. Try to lob grenades over his pikmin throws or under. You want to get to him where he stops throwing them. Watch many of my videos vs Olimar to try and see. Here's one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L01FuY1DNiQ

I think ICs is also in Snake's favor slightly. Always have grenades out and use your disjointed hitboxes for safe attacks. Separate Nana and end her. Easier said than done but always be safe. You also need your offense game. No point in being safe if you can't fight and punish ICs. Ally is usually good against them until recently. Mix up pivot grabs as well.

Hard deny.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Favorite MU's would be aggressive MKs since it's fast paced. Least favorite would be characters like D3 (CGs), Marth (annoying juggler) and campy MKs( 99%) of them.

RE-DAZ

Smash Cadet
Has any Lucas beat you? I'm scared of Lucas when i'm playing snake, since i main Lucas. How could Lucas beat Snake? I'm just little new at Snake

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
I miss you. </3
Smash 4 :)

Has any Lucas beat you? I'm scared of Lucas when i'm playing snake, since i main Lucas. How could Lucas beat Snake? I'm just little new at Snake
Nope, never have lost to a Lucas. Mekos is the only one to give me a little trouble in pools before, Lucas relies A LOT on spacing and auto cancelling his nair in your shield. He uses PK fire a lot and just tries to be really slippery. Watch auto cancels dairs, fairs and nairs. They like to try and put pressure when they can. Just use proper grenades (they can't attack your shield if you have one) and proper ftilts which out prioritizes a lot of his moves. Try to read their landings since they jump a lot and do a good dash attack. Use grenades to pressure and try to convert up close with them. Also, check on grab release. I think you can ground grab release to ftilt or maybe uptilt.

-Ran

Smash Master
I don't think I'll play Smash 4 in a competitive capacity. I feel I'll be too old with the newest surge of players to really get involved with them. =/ I'll be twenty-nine probably when the new Smash comes out; so I'll be over ten years older than the next wave of players. D:

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
I'm sure there'll be older players as well. Plus smash is really growing. The scene might start to see more and more older players. Melee-Smash 4 generations.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Do you review your matches after a tournament and if you do what do you look for?
I haven't played in a while, but yes I did. Always watched them over and over. I looked for where I made mistakes or why I got beat. Looked for patterns that were making me read/exploitable or patterns that worked. Just study your videos and see while watching them if you could have made different moves in a situation.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
thoughts on the match ups of
TL vs Snake
Sonic vs Snake

and what snake has to do specifically in those Match ups?

Last edited:

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
thoughts on the match ups of
TL vs Snake
Sonic vs Snake

and what snake has to do specifically in those Match ups?
Both are definitely in Snake's favor like 60:40. Against TL, you have to learn how to weave under TL and his camping projectiles and punish correctly. Be good at using your shield and intercepting his bombs. Look at videos from me vs TL. I've never lost to one in tournament.

Sonic, rely on grenades and spacing ftilts. You can actually shut him down a lot if you get close to him. Just don't eat your shield too much so he gets you with his special moves.

Mr3ballRyRyDaddy

Smash Cadet
When you are trying to chain together downthrows do you just anticipate what the opponent will do or do you use reflexes do follow them? I feel several characters have a fwd roll that is way too far away for you to react to when they initiate the roll and the only way you would be able to catch them is by anticipating the roll.

Jackson

Smash Lord
UltimateRazer, you're awesome. I've seen you play and you are clearly on a higher level than most of us. This is kinda similar to the above question, but do you have any Dthrow tech chasing tips? Sometimes I'm good at it and sometimes I fall flat when it comes to tech chasing.

Mr3ballRyRyDaddy

Smash Cadet
Ive been having trouble with both the falco matchup and dedede matchup. I just keep getting chain grabbed the hell out of and with falco his reflector reflects a lot of my nades. Thoughts on good stages for the MUs as well?

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
When you are trying to chain together downthrows do you just anticipate what the opponent will do or do you use reflexes do follow them? I feel several characters have a fwd roll that is way too far away for you to react to when they initiate the roll and the only way you would be able to catch them is by anticipating the roll.
UltimateRazer, you're awesome. I've seen you play and you are clearly on a higher level than most of us. This is kinda similar to the above question, but do you have any Dthrow tech chasing tips? Sometimes I'm good at it and sometimes I fall flat when it comes to tech chasing.
Dthrow tech chasing is vital to using Snake. It involves a mixture of reaction and prediction. It seriously takes a lot of practice. When you're down throwing them, almost try to think what you would do in their situation (if you think you'd roll right, read it and go right). It's also very character dependent. Characters like olimar and toon link have small rolls. You can stay in shield and react off them. Characters like Marth and Lucario have far rolls. It's best to try and read them. If you fail, just reset your situation. Boost grabbing forward for those 2 characters is needed too. Mix it up by having c4 out on the stage to dictate where they will roll etc. Try to incorporate grenades if you can. Lastly, if you're still weak in this area, always try to get a ftilt or some extra damage. That's a good 21+ percent off one grab. If they don't get up, you could try to dair too. All it takes is much practice and reaction timing..

Ive been having trouble with both the falco matchup and dedede matchup. I just keep getting chain grabbed the hell out of and with falco his reflector reflects a lot of my nades. Thoughts on good stages for the MUs as well?
Those are tough match ups. For d3, you want to focus on not getting grabbed. Use MANY grenades and capitalize on down throws. Always have sort of a wall. Work on spacing attacks when you're behind them. It's a tough match up. I like battle field or PS1 because of the platforms and options they give you to set traps. Always have grenades out and watch your landings. Their uptilt has super armor. For Falco, use grenades as well to avoid the chain grab. Try to blow them up in the process. You need to set traps if they side B away from you. You can bait their reflector by picking up a grenade, running toward them, stop and throw it up and try to punish the lag if they use it. Watch their juggle on you and their jab (just SDI away from it). Many falcos roll a lot. Try to read it and ftilt or dash attack. Just keep pressure on them and don't let them eat your shield. Crawl under lasers and bait side B's and use grenade traps and mines and c4s to intercept them.

Jackson

Smash Lord
Dthrow tech chasing is vital to using Snake. It involves a mixture of reaction and prediction. It seriously takes a lot of practice. When you're down throwing them, almost try to think what you would do in their situation (if you think you'd roll right, read it and go right). It's also very character dependent. Characters like olimar and toon link have small rolls. You can stay in shield and react off them. Characters like Marth and Lucario have far rolls. It's best to try and read them. If you fail, just reset your situation. Boost grabbing forward for those 2 characters is needed too. Mix it up by having c4 out on the stage to dictate where they will roll etc. Try to incorporate grenades if you can. Lastly, if you're still weak in this area, always try to get a ftilt or some extra damage. That's a good 21+ percent off one grab. If they don't get up, you could try to dair too. All it takes is much practice and reaction timing..
Thanks, gave me good stuff to think about.

Top Bottom