• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Armada vs M2K Epic Comeback at Evo Friendlies!

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
This makes me sad since you didn't record the first half =/ The best marth i ever played in my life, i had only 2 damage after my first two KOs (no gimps) and then in mind I am thinking "somehow I know I'm going to lose" and then I fall apart. It was because of this that I am considering retiring the marth, because I cannot keep my composure with this character. My sheik won 2-0 vs him this day in friendlies, both last stock mid %, and while it's less entertaining matches, my sheik never falls apart like my marth and fox will (excluding the one ledge wavedash SD).

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
This makes me sad since you didn't record the first half =/ The best marth i ever played in my life, i had only 2 damage after my first two KOs (no gimps) and then in mind I am thinking "somehow I know I'm going to lose" and then I fall apart. It was because of this that I am considering retiring the marth, because I cannot keep my composure with this character. My sheik won 2-0 vs him this day in friendlies, both last stock mid %, and while it's less entertaining matches, my sheik never falls apart like my marth and fox will (excluding the one ledge wavedash SD).
I am wondering, why didn't you go Puff against Armada at Evo? The Puff matchup for Peach is just awful. I know you had been practicing your Puff, whether for Hbox or Armada. Still, as much as people hate watching the Puff (generally), I was hoping to see it because I thought you would play to win. I am not sure if it was pride or lack in confidence in Jiggs to get the job done. I know you were one of my friend's favorite to win Evo and I thought it would be you and Mango in grand finals. The tournament was entertaining and I don't think it could have been more hype. Just wondered why you spent so much time working on Puff if you didn't even play her (and I wanted to see Puff dittos...just once man...just once)

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
If you "retire Marth" at least keep him for FD.
As much as I love seeing his Marth, at this point I feel it is a good time to retire him unless he plans to push the character further. Mew2King is doing so much more for the metagame of Sheik than Marth, and as long as Mew2King continues using Marth as he has, we may see him (unintentionally) hindering the advancement of Marth's metagame. His Sheik is far more consistent than his Marth and his Fox. It will be pretty interesting to see how he pushes the metagame of Sheik anyways (aside from ledge camping, which is incredibly consistent but I think it may be the cause of those missed wavelands) considering right now all it seems to be is dthrow -> tech chase (rinse, repeat) -> utilt -> regrab or ftilt -> any input ever because Sheik. Besides, he is the only Sheik that can survive long enough as Zelda to turn back to Sheik if he needs to, so it will be interesting to see if Zelda ends up pushing the Sheik metagame (even if it is only a little; let's face it, Zelda is still bad).

Don't get me wrong, I will be sad to see the Mew2King Marth go, but it might be a sacrifice that will help overall push Marth beyond 2007-2009 or somewhere around there (or earlier). That is something to look forward to. Seeing whether Marth should climb back up the list as new technology, or old technology re-utilized, is something that is viable in 2013 and forward.

Tags

Smash Cadet
I wasn't expecting the match to be so intense until you brought Armada down to 1 stock so I was like "Quick pull my phone out and start recording!"

Osennecho

Smash Ace
I think it was more of a Sheik had (and still has more room to improve as a character and how it is used. Marth is more but not yet fully tapped out. M2K is still advancing the meta for Marth despite playing him less and to be frank I don't really see anyone else doing that for Marth atm. I don't think he is hindering his progress at all. Especially with the "King combo" lol as opposed to the "Ken combo." No but seriously, I wasn't really ever seeing up-b used that way till M2K did just recently.

strawhats

Smash Master
Umm.m2k was practicing puff for Hbox and then said he might go sheik after some convincing from ice and others. Puff vs armada from m2k is just a bad idea man lol. Have u seen armada's yl vs Hbox. Armada's got YL for puff. Also m2k's shiek and marth are better options for him vs peach

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I'd like to see someone do a comparison on actual chances of getting a stitchface vs Armada's chances when he comes to America. That would be interesting.

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
@Osennecho: Are you going to completely ignore the small amount of time that Dr PP played Marth? Or how about the really good PPU? Not to mention Ether (who does not travel much). There are a few who push his metagame in a very different way than M2K, and probably in a more useful way (because it isn't only on FD and PS). I agree that M2K uses Up-B better than everyone else, and while that adds a thing to the arsenal, people already knew about CGs on FD and Utilt on PS.

@strawhats: I agree that Armada's YL is killer, but after learning that it was best of 3 I was convinced that opting for the double blind pick and taking game one would be the easiest plan of action. That MU is really bad for peach. So Armada goes YL game 2 and probably wins. But then what? If he stays YL then M2K wrecks him as Sheik or Marth (depending on the stage) and if Armada goes Peach then M2K stays Puff and gets a win. I don't see how (in a best of 3) that it would be such a bad idea.

Keep in mind, I don't think you are wrong in your line of thinking. I just feel as though other people push the metagame of Marth better than M2K (because let's face it, M2K wins because he is good at the game and not necessarily the character) and Puff would have been a better pick (in a best of 3) against Armada. In the end I still really loved watching EVO and enjoyed watching M2K play well.

Ether

Smash Ace
oh snap, I got mentioned.

I mean, if you like marth, play marth. They say I'm a creative marth, and I just need to play more solidly, but maybe I'll do something spectacular sometime soon, who knows.

also, I would love m2k to go fully sheik so I can play against super m2k sheik. It's the most fun thing.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I fully support M2K dropping Marth and focusing fully on his Shiek. His Shiek is more consistent and overall more solid than his Marth who suffer in the neutral game imo. I want to see him do as well as I know he is capable of and I think Shiek is the answer for him.

As a huge Marth fan it sucks to see one of us go but there is always PPU and maybe Dr.PP considering using Marth more often.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
It's not like picking puff vs Armada is an auto win for M2K. Armada has taken games from Mango's puff and my Peach was outplaying M2K's puff at Zenith pretty handily.

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
It's not like picking puff vs Armada is an auto win for M2K. Armada has taken games from Mango's puff and my Peach was outplaying M2K's puff at Zenith pretty handily.
I know it wasn't an auto win. It just felt much better than the choice to go Sheik or Marth. That said, he performed really well as Sheik. That surprised me. I think it would have been a better choice than going Marth at least.

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
M2K's Sheik would be best vs Armada IMO
Before EVO I would have called you wrong, but after that set at EVO I will agree. And yes, I would have called your opinion wrong. I guess I should choose words carefully. I would have disagreed is what I was going for there.

Top Bottom