• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arizona Brawl Rankings and Discussion (7/14/08)

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Lol, don't listen to Vat-Zero.

AtomicMatt:

The NFL doesn't do best of X sets because it would take too long, not because it's a better format. Football games can only be played once per week just because of how physical it is. You have to give a week for recovery. The NFL playoffs are long enough already. Making them best of 3 would make it run 2.5x longer.

Baseball, Basketball, and pretty much every other sport DO best of X sets, however. Imagine the NBA doing single game, single elimination tournaments. The results would be wildly random. Any random team could win by just getting lucky, as opposed to actually being reliably and repeatably better.

That is the reason behind doing sets as opposed to single games. It reduces the amount of luck inherently involved in any performance based competition.

Also, there are Smash-specific reasons such as counterpicking (which Slick mentioned, I believe). "Advanced slob picks" have been a staple of smash for many years. It is a system which alleviates the effect of luck through character matchups.

In2D

Smash Apprentice
Vat, why don't you just shut the **** up and man up? Quit hidding behind a **** computer screen and say some of these things to my face. There is a reason why I don't play melee, because I dont like it. And I'll **** your (notice the correct usage of your) **** in brawl any day of the week.

Now quit being such a little ***** and trying to flame everything I say/do.

-Ka-

Smash Journeyman
Vat, why don't you just shut the **** up and man up? Quit hidding behind a **** computer screen and say some of these things to my face. There is a reason why I don't play melee, because I dont like it. And I'll **** your (notice the correct usage of your) **** in brawl any day of the week.

Now quit being such a little ***** and trying to flame everything I say/do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXldafIl5DQ

btw, anyone who actually watches all 8 minutes of that clip gets a thumbs up next time i see them.

In2D

Smash Apprentice
I can't see the clip since I'm at school right now,

and I decided to play lucario, more pokemon in tucson ftw!

Vat- Zero

Smash Journeyman
2D's comeback: " You can't type you're because you typed your instead of you're!! HAHAHAHA!! This makes me less gayyy, right? No? Well, lets act intimidating through a forum... then Vat- Zero will back away. Maybe if I close my eyes hell ( Wait, He'll) Ahhh....you thought you had me :) disappear. Listen to Alt, 2D. Just lay back and relax and play some brawl. "There's" no sense in making your brain work too hard.

You Tucson guys are cute. Forward is awesome, though. The rest of you are...well, some are cool...2D is getting in my last nerve, though.

Chill out 2D!!!! Its only a GAME!!!!! :) :) :) JEEZZZ!!! So you in New Mexico AZ thread.

P.S.

2D will **** me in Brawl? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHa....He said Brawl!!

In2D

Smash Apprentice
I'm getting on your last nerve? I haven't done anything to you, yet you always try and bash me.

You don't even know me, so why not meet me before you draw your stupid conclusions.

I can't even understand half of your horrible grammar, so I guess I'll just have to try and guess at what you are trying to say.

Demised

Smash Ace
Calm down kids before you need a time out. Most stupid bantering that I personally see always starts out this way then when you meet, everything is completely different. Reading text as compared to real life conversation are completely different. So any comments said, both of you man up and drop it. Were all smashers in the end whether it is Melee or Brawl.

Matt- Best of 3 would honestly be best for brackets in the end since a lot of strategy is put into the decisions made between each round along with all the previous reasons. But do however you see fit. They are your tournaments. I am just happy that there are no items and its stocks :)

fark

Smash Apprentice
does anyone else notice that there gamer is on the list for no reason?or is it just me?
ive been to goops,random,az1 2,the first of witmb, and an atomic comics tourney
i have yet to see him at a tourney
i think northbound stats sao woof and glide are way more deserving of the position considering the fact that they at least show up to tourneys
that may not seem like a good enough excuse for them to be on there but its gotta be better then the reason he is

Northbound

Smash Rookie
^
I was just about to say something like that. It took over 2 weeks to make nearly an identical list with a random name listed as the 15th position? The top eight seems fairly solid but the rest of the list (with the exception of Demised and a couple of others) seems inaccurate. What are the rankings even based off of? Seems kinda bull**** to me.

In2D

Smash Apprentice
Thats what I was worried about and that is why I disputed his placing. However, he is worth of being on the list, whether it be now, or when the next list comes out. But between the panelists in the end it was decided to keep him where he was.

fark

Smash Apprentice
why is he deserving
i can hold up against everyone in tcb
am i deserving
toro from stb can hold up against alot of people even beat them,is he deserving?
no cuz we dont place in tourneys
he doesn't go to tourneys,he doesnt place,he shouldnt be on there

In2D

Smash Apprentice
It was already brought up during the discussion yesterday night and was decided on.

sLicK.tdf

Smash Apprentice
he's been to 1 tournament so far, which was sean's. he placed 3rd. there, he placed in a tournament. placing above eow/yamer/justin.

AtomicMatt

Smash Rookie
Tim, I am planning on doing best of 3 sets for all future tournaments in the Top 16, but only for the reason of counter picks. That's a logical and worthy reason to best of 3 sets that I can and will get behind.

I still disagree with any other reason!

Goop

Smash Journeyman
Tim, I am planning on doing best of 3 sets for all future tournaments in the Top 16, but only for the reason of counter picks. That's a logical and worthy reason to best of 3 sets that I can and will get behind.

I still disagree with any other reason!
When it boils down to it its your tourney, go with the rules you see fit.

Just keep in mind that feedback is both good and helpful.

I think 2 out of 3 in the brackets is great.

AtomicMatt

Smash Rookie
Well, I can run the rules I want and have no one show up as a result of that as well which leaves me all alone! :(

Or, I can amend my rules to please you guys as long as your suggestions are hand in hand with logic and reason as opposed to "it's better!" "everyone else does it that way!" "um cuz ur a n00b if u dont" reasons. :p

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
the reason i haven't gone to a lot of tournies is because they've all been in phoenix. sean's was the ONLY tournament we've had here in tucson and therefore the only one i've been able to go to.

it's hard to just make trips to phoenix between gas prices, school a few months ago, trying to find a job, my gf, and strict parents who i still live with because i can't find a ****ing job.

once I move out (when again, i find a job) then you'll see me in phoenix with sean ****** all you kids.

edit/ and thanks Slick for having my back.

In2D

Smash Apprentice
Oh sure, no thanks Bryan for having my back... I'll keep that in mind.... ***!

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
i thanked slick since he's from Phx and its Phx who is *****ing.

tucson people don't need to thank eachother since we should always have eachothers **** covered.

sLicK.tdf

Smash Apprentice
ooooohhhh..big words james woods..big words...we're having a tourny on aug 9th ran by AzC possibly, hope to see you there ****** us. :D.

In2D

Smash Apprentice
Is the tourney a possibility or is being run by AzC a possibility?

And I'm pretty sure I'll be there for that, sounds like fun.

Goop

Smash Journeyman
why is he deserving
am i deserving
toro from stb can hold up against alot of people even beat them,is he deserving?
The reason why he is on the list is because he was placed very high on one of the panelists list. Since the rankings is sheerly on points he was given a lot of points and therefore given a spot on the list.

sLicK.tdf

Smash Apprentice
hey goop, will each panelists list ever be public in the future? so we can see who put us where.

edit : **** : he doesn't go to tourneys,he doesnt place,he shouldnt be on there

you should read the results before making claims like that.

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
GamerGuitarist as everyone else has said went to Sean and I's Tri-weekly and got 3rd. He nearly beat Slick and I think he is capable of doing so.

If he went to any Phoenix Tournies I have no doubt in my mind that he would place well there. Hell he can even beat Sean sometimes.

Vat- Zero

Smash Journeyman
whatever, goop. You tried putting yourself 15th so. ..your opinion really doesn't move me anymore .

To 2D. I'm very curious why you keep focusing on my typing skills. I'm not going to lie, I suck at typing. Yet, you act confused why you irritate certain people...at least I know why some people dislike my posts, but you seem oblivious, Scoop noob! HAhahahaha

naw, your cool 2D. You remind of that nick night guy.

In2D

Smash Apprentice
Oh god, don't compare me to nicknoob O.o. Thats like the ultimate insult. I really don't have a problem with you, you for some reason just seem to want to flame me any and all the time I post.

Like I said, if you still feel the same way you do after you meet me, then flame away.

Northbound

Smash Rookie
why is he deserving
am i deserving
Good point. The only reason he's ranked is because he's friends with some people on the panelist. Apparently you don't even have to attend a major tournament to be ranked. The rankings are obviously biased and rigged.

In2D

Smash Apprentice
Why do you think Gmo, Ka, Forward and Bstick are all ranked so high? Because they are friends with panelists... Duh!

Yoko the wolf

Smash Cadet
I would disagree. G-Mo is my father yet I am nowhere near that list. I know I suck, but he is my FATHER. So are we implying here that the panelist can never be ranked? if so that means that they can't play smash at all. I see the future and all i can say is ...

Goop

Smash Journeyman
whatever, goop. You tried putting yourself 15th so. ..your opinion really doesn't move me anymore .

To 2D. I'm very curious why you keep focusing on my typing skills. I'm not going to lie, I suck at typing. Yet, you act confused why you irritate certain people...at least I know why some people dislike my posts, but you seem oblivious, Scoop noob! HAhahahaha

naw, your cool 2D. You remind of that nick night guy.
Wtf why are you attacking me? I haven't said **** to you. Why the **** do you think its funny or cool to be an internet troll? Dude you need grow up and act mature you're making yourself look stupid.

To everyone else who thinks the rankings are rigged we all got equal votes on the panel and pretty much every panelist on the rankings was chosen by a group of their peers. Don't like the rankings? Then you should have been more involved before when we were trying to put the panel together and not ***** after the panel voted and all was said and done.

Now as far as it being biased, of course its biased. Thats why there was no Tucson people outside of Sean on any of the Phoenix peoples list. This rankings wasn't based strictly on results it also had to do with the opinions of the panelists, otherwise what would be the point of the panel in the first place.

Anyone who has a problem with this or the panelists or me can call me or message me. My phone number is all over the boards. You wanna talk in person tell me where and when or come over my address is also all over the boards. I don't need to hide behind a screen to defend my point and I don't need flame people to seem cool on a message board.

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
Wow nice post Goop. Anyways I think once some of the Phoenix people play GamerGuitarist more they'll understand ;)

Top Bottom