• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AriqueNuubs-esq effects

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me add some purely cosmetic effects to the characters in Project M; I'm looking to do effects like low-alpha screen flashes on-hit for certain moves, particularly high-hitlag, elemental, and heavy-impact moves, along with things like screen shakes on spikes, and a Super Flash when Lucario does his EX-moves, as in the famous Melee combo video, AriqueNuubs.These effects are intended to, again, be purely cosmetic ones, and should be things that do not cause any desynchs in the event I have to play on lag-fi.

I've had no luck asking on #projectm, and the #KCMM is flooded with a constant ****fest of Sonic character and DBZ skins, so I figured this'd be the best place to start.

Thanks in advance,

~バン2 (Bunni)

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I wish I remembered more about PSA but it's been so long. However, this should be very doable once you get the hang of the proper color overlay subactions and understand where the on-hit part of the commands take place. If someone can't fill you in with more details on this, I may just personally look into this myself.

EDIT: Ok, decided to at least look at Dantarion's OpenSA wiki for some things. The main part you're looking for is editing the GFX part of the subaction you want to add the effect to (ie. Falcon's ForwardAir).
http://opensa.dantarion.com/wiki/Events_(Brawl)/Group_II
http://opensa.dantarion.com/wiki/Requirements

My theory is to use a Screen Tint event (probably 11170600) with a Hitbox Connects requirement in it. I'd test this but my Wii is broken and won't be fixed any time soon.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
If I understood how to use those hex values I'd do so, but thanks for looking into it.

Like, knowing just what the hex value for the event is doesn't let me know how I can incorporate it into the game. I know nothing about how hex coding works.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I'll take it a step further then. I'll do a Falcon edit with the theory in mind and send it your way. You test it in game and tell me what happens. If all things go well, I'll show you the step-by-step how to do it. If it's as easy as I think it is, I don't think you'd have too much trouble picking it up and applying it to wherever you want. Mind you, this is done in PSA itself and not necessarily raw hex editing, the latter of which I'm about on the same level as you: not a damn clue as to how it works at all.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Is the current BrawlBox capable of the same edits as PSA at this point or should I try to actually get the Project?

Hope it goes well; I was thinking:

Knee sweetspot: Blue flash
Dair any hit: Green Flash
Dair spike hitbox: Screen Shake
U-tilt, Bair sweetspot, Gentleman: Green Flash
Falcon Punch, Falcon Dive, and Raptor Boost hit: Red Flash
Maybe a red flash on Falcon Kick as well

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Is the current BrawlBox capable of the same edits as PSA at this point or should I try to actually get the Project?

Hope it goes well; I was thinking:

Knee sweetspot: Blue flash
Dair any hit: Green Flash
Dair spike hitbox: Screen Shake
U-tilt, Bair sweetspot, Gentleman: Green Flash
Falcon Punch, Falcon Dive, and Raptor Boost hit: Red Flash
Maybe a red flash on Falcon Kick as well
I love the idea of an over-the-top aesthetic makeup but a full screen flashes are probably something I wouldn't go nuts on on anything that's not a really flashy move.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Dair, Fair, and u-tilt are pretty flashy high-impact moves, and the idea is to have a low alpha on the flashes so they aren't super bright.

The examples I gave are pretty reserved for only the sweet spots of moves to drive the impact of them in harder, as well as on the specials that he is known for.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
BrawlBox should be capable as far as I know. I actually haven't messed with the new one at all.

Looping fire effects on the dash attack should be super easy. It's the question of where, ie. the center of the body or both of his hands and feet.

I'll get to messing with this stuff later tomorrow though. I have to sleep so I can get up and finish the rest of my work then get to learning C++.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Computer was dumb and didn't turn on so I had to send it in over the weekend. Worse yet is I have two major projects due this Sunday so I don't know if I can get to this yet. I do still want to look into the template needed to do this because once I have that figured out, you should easily be able to do it to any move you want.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Don't forget about the fire monkey wheel, or you could even also have a tron version: where instead of fire it's that blue aura trail that Lucario has when he's got'a super. It'd go well with my tron monkey, or Diddytron

What brand was your computer?

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
If I could figure out how they imported and referenced trail textures for Lucario (which was a 2.5 addition, he did not have textured trails in 2.0), I'd so the same for Diddy. I remember having a lot of trouble with trails working on Lloyd. You can make anyone have a trail through one of the events, but it remains textureless until you reference one. Could never get it to work, but I might wing it for this.

And Apple (inb4gross), it was a logic board failure but I was still under warranty. I use Windows dual boot for this of course.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
So it was a gift? That's how apparently all my friends got their Apples (I don't have one).

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Yeah, I was in desperate shape for a new laptop and the digital media program uses primarily Mac-oriented software.

Except I'm a programmer so that makes it kind of weird.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Couldn't you just run Snow Leopard or whatever under a Virtual Box and save yourself a lot of money buying a PC instead?

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Yeah, but that would have been a rational thing to do. Apple products have a way of hooking your eyes on the way they're designed and it made me illogically dislike the way most other laptops are aesthetically built. I'm really comfortable with their stuff I guess.

But in the future where I'm settled in by myself/with a woman that I cherish dearly, I can easily see myself picking up a high-end desktop PC because ideally I'll be working the nitty-gritty and would want the power from it.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Welp, with that crappy week out of the way and not too much left in the way of the remaining two weeks of classes, I'll finally dive into this and get to testing hopefully tomorrow or Friday.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I'm surprised you get any free time with that crazy C++. I just had a day of college where I misjudged my classes and put priority of the little free time off work I had into something I got an extended due date on: and lost a decent bunch of points on easy homework I completely forgot was due for a different class. And I was slightly pissed off/dismayed about that (as well as plain sleep deprived from staying up for the other homework) so I didn't pay attention to give any sympathy to this person who I found out had a pet die: which I actually related to a lot since I had the same experience they described with my 1st cat.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Thanks for reminding me. I got access to a Wii now so there's really nothing holding me back at this point. I'll get at it.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Had lost interest in the idea of it because I've been sidetracked with PSO2 but seeing how my internet refuses to let me play for more than 5 minutes consecutively (****in' Brighthouse), I've really got nothing else to do besides play Oracle of Seasons. I'm not kidding, just hammer me with PMs/Alerts and it's usually enough to motivate me if I didn't already decide to try working on it.

I mean, I posted the theory (and even proper subactions) here so the execution shouldn't be difficult to begin with. I'm just reminded of constantly turning my Wii on and off when testing things so I just need to punch through it until I get the desired effects.

As a note, if I do actually get a test out I'll probably just put it up for download as I'm looking to get to sleep and I'll be doing things tomorrow. Plus, the feedback helps.

EDIT: Ohhhh ****. The opensa page is messed up. Fortunately I at least have the link names so I know what I'm looking for.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
EDIT: Ohhhh ****. The opensa page is messed up. Fortunately I at least have the link names so I know what I'm looking for.
U mean the dantarion wiki? Yeah I need that site back up someone message him he hasn't been on the IRC a while

Don't forget about Fire/Lucario trail Diddy Dash attack =( [One for fire, one for lucario trails: looping effect over his hitboxes]

Top Bottom