• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are You Wired?

Ehternet or Wi-Fi?

• Total voters

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
So, who is going to be using a wired connection on the Wii U instead of Wi-Fi? I know I am. How about you?

Edit: Son of a- ! I misspelled Ethernet in the poll question! How embarrassing.

Last edited:

Chompjil

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chompjil
3DS FC
0387-8858-0021
My weefee is good enough, and always stable, and I dont feel the need for moar cords

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
If I could I would, yet sadly I cannot so Wi-Fi it is then, although my Wi-Fi is pretty stable for the most part and it's made online matches on the 3DS version enjoyable enough.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Yes, I am wired. There is a wire coming out of my body connected to a modem.

In all serious, most of my matches on Smash 3DS are lag free, so I don't see the need for a wired connection.

Khao

Smash Lord
Lan adapters are hard as **** to find where I live. Nintendo really should have included an Ethernet port in this console...

Buuuuuuut I know one place. It's kinda far, though, and I just don't feel the need to go there yet.

The 3DS already lags like crazy, and my Wii U is worse at wi-fi than my 3DS for some nonsensical reason, so I'll make sure to get one by the time Smash's released.

So wired connection it is for me.

Last edited:

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Lan adapters are hard as **** to find where I live. Nintendo really should have included an Ethernet port in this console...

Buuuuuuut I know one place. It's kinda far, though, and I just don't feel the need to go there yet. I'll totally be getting one for Smash either way, dunno if before or after release.
Yeah, they are a pain to find, which is why I just went online to find one.

many37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
many37
3DS FC
2423-4448-6030
I wish I had an Ethernet cable long enough to reach my room

*sigh* Looks like I'm sticking with WiFi.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
No because my internet modem is in the far corner of the house far away from anything to reach. Thanks mom.... My 360 is Elite so it doesnt have WiFi. You can imagine the loops I had to go through to get connected.
Back to topic, I'll be WiFi here too. 3DS has good connection so I hope the Wii U will too.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
No because my internet modem is in the far corner of the house far away from anything to reach. Thanks mom.... My 360 is Elite so it doesnt have WiFi. You can imagine the loops I had to go through to get connected.
Back to topic, I'll be WiFi here too. 3DS has good connection so I hope the Wii U will too.
Well, I had a 360 arcade, so u had to go out and get the wi-fi adapter for it.

Last edited:

HiPNoTyQ

Smash Cadet
NNID
HiPNoTyQ
3DS FC
1521-2688-6157
Wired, cost me $10. Amazing difference. I don't even want to look at a wifi anymore.

Ethernet master race!!!

Banhfunbags

Smash Rookie
I'm having trouble finding an lan adapter for the wii u. Why doesn't nintendo sell any more when the wii u could use it?

Also since I plan to use two gc adapters, I'm going to need a usb hub to use wired.

Last edited:

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I'm having trouble finding an lan adapter for the wii u. Why doesn't nintendo sell any more when the wii u could use it?

Also since I plan to use two gc adapters, I'm going to need a usb hub to use wired.
Yeah, I had to use a 3rd party device. I don't think Nintendo even makes their own brand Ethernet adapters.

And two GC adapters? I'm impressed. Although, I don't see much reason to keep both of them plugged in all the time. But I guess it would save you the trouble of having to remove the GC adapter, plug in the Ethernet adapter, and then set your Wii u settings to use said adapter, and vice versa.

Banhfunbags

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I had to use a 3rd party device. I don't think Nintendo even makes their own brand Ethernet adapters.

And two GC adapters? I'm impressed. Although, I don't see much reason to keep both of them plugged in all the time. But I guess it would save you the trouble of having to remove the GC adapter, plug in the Ethernet adapter, and then set your Wii u settings to use said adapter, and vice versa.
I have a question though. If you plug in the GC adapter to a USB hub, will there be input lag?

the8thark

Smash Lord
I have a question though. If you plug in the GC adapter to a USB hub, will there be input lag?
I use the classic controller to a USB adapter (mayflash one) then to my iMac. Almost the same setup as the GC controller to USB adapter to WiiU. I don't notice any input lag. I'm no pro but I would assume there would be a lot less input lag because it's all wired. Still would be a little because of the adapter and cable, but would it be noticeable? Probably not.(This is my non pro opinion, feel to prove me wrong if I am wrong).

HiPNoTyQ

Smash Cadet
NNID
HiPNoTyQ
3DS FC
1521-2688-6157

Yeah but how often will you be playing with 8 people? If that's all the time, then internet play isn't as important imo. If you're more likely to be playing 4 player, I'd invest in one for sure. Amazon sells them for $10. The official Nintendo ones are hard to find and overpriced.

HiPNoTyQ

Smash Cadet
NNID
HiPNoTyQ
3DS FC
1521-2688-6157

There are Nintendo branded ethernet adapters, but they discontinued them. You may be lucky enough to find one on ebay or playasia, but the third party $10 ones work just as well, I use one and have had no problems whatsoever. The really stupid thing is that Sakurai specifically shows the Nintendo branded ethernet adapter and suggests buying one in one of the Smash-related directs (I think it was the April direct) and then Nintendo doesn't offer it for sale.

HiPNoTyQ

Smash Cadet
NNID
HiPNoTyQ
3DS FC
1521-2688-6157
If there is, it can't be any worse than the input lag from using a wireless controller solution like the gamepad/controller pro/or wiimote + classic controller. It seems everyone I've heard who has played Smash U prefers the GC option.

Edit: Nevermind, I thought you were talking about the adapter for the Wii U.

Last edited:

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I will test this out, since I have a usb hub. But I'll have to wait until next week to test it out.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Wel, I had a 360 arcade, so had to go out and get the wi-fi adapter for it.
Nope. That thing's like $80. I have it tethered to my laptop which gets WiFi. Problem is my laptop is pretty much broken cuz it would take 20 minutes to boot up properly.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Nope. That thing's like $80. I have it tethered to my laptop which gets WiFi. Problem is my laptop is pretty much broken cuz it would take 20 minutes to boot up properly.
Ah. Well that sucks. When I bought one, they were much cheaper.

HiPNoTyQ

Smash Cadet
NNID
HiPNoTyQ
3DS FC
1521-2688-6157
Friends don't let friends go wireless. Give the gift of the wii ethernet adapter for Christmas. It's a great stocking stuffer.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Wifi sucks, but I left my LAN adapter at home, so I'll have to grab it over Thanksgiving break.

Fortunately I have enough people here to play with that it won't be a big deal.

Shataraterevar

Smash Rookie
I will try wi-fi, it's consistent here. If it sucks then I'll switch.

Last edited:

S2

Smash Lord
I have a question, does anyone know what speed the USB drives are on the Wii U (USB 2? 3? I don't have the system yet, soon)?

I'm asking because as I remember, on the Wii the USB plugs were older and actually throttled the speed of the LAN adapter to the USB transfer speed, which was slower than a perfect Wifi connection. Then again, on the original Wii getting a perfect wifi connection meant having the Wii next to the wireless source and having your router based around it, ugh.

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
I got wired solely for this game.

I'm using a regular ol' ethernet adapter though, and not the official one, since they're pretty expensive. If only Nintendo would actually put an ethernet port on their console.

Cactusblah

Smash Apprentice
Going with a wired connection with open ports to avoid any possible lag from my end. I expect others to do the same.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I have a Wii ethernet adapter but I'm not able to use it without a 25ft cable. Wireless for me unless there's an issue with latency.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I have a question, does anyone know what speed the USB drives are on the Wii U (USB 2? 3? I don't have the system yet, soon)?

I'm asking because as I remember, on the Wii the USB plugs were older and actually throttled the speed of the LAN adapter to the USB transfer speed, which was slower than a perfect Wifi connection. Then again, on the original Wii getting a perfect wifi connection meant having the Wii next to the wireless source and having your router based around it, ugh.
2.0. Nintendo ain't going to put 3.0 in the Wii U because Nintendo is dumb. Then again, most Ethernet adapters tend to also use USB 2.0 from some of the more common ones you will find, so it is not like having a 3.0 port would matter. It would help if they did have at least one though for external hard drives.

S2

Smash Lord
2.0. Nintendo ain't going to put 3.0 in the Wii U because Nintendo is dumb. Then again, most Ethernet adapters tend to also use USB 2.0 from some of the more common ones you will find, so it is not like having a 3.0 port would matter. It would help if they did have at least one though for external hard drives.
Bummer, I was hoping maybe they would do 3.0, but with Nintendo I wasn't expecting it. Thanks for the quick reply.

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
I would use Ethernet. But the modem is too far away from my room. So I'll stick with WI-FI. If I do lag a lot then I will change my Wii U's place. But WI-FI is good so far.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Unfortunately, no. My router is here on the guest room while my Wii U is at my bedroom, which is like 20 ft. away. Besides, my wi-fi isn't very stable enough for me to play games like this online. :/

otter

Smash Ace
this thread is scary, especially considering the general populaous is going to be worse than smashboards.

im thinking about making a friends list of only wired players

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
this thread is scary, especially considering the general populaous is going to be worse than smashboards.

im thinking about making a friends list of only wired players
It's understandable though, considering the fact that Wi-Fi is much more convenient.

otter

Smash Ace
It's understandable though, considering the fact that Wi-Fi is much more convenient.
I would say being able to have playable matches is worth plugging in a cable though, especially on smashboards.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I would say being able to have playable matches is worth plugging in a cable though, especially on smashboards.
Yeah, but like many have stated here, not many people have their wii u's and their modem/router in a convenient spot to use a wired connection.

Top Bottom