• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

are we really?

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Wow, it's only been two weeks and people are already getting restless. I sound like a broken record but for Brawl we had to wait a whopping 15 months after the first trailer before we saw a new character in the form of Ike and it was 20 months before we even knew the whole starting roster. It should also be noted that between the first trailer and the second trailer, we went 6 months without a single scrap of new information and then had to wait an additional 6 before the Dojo started updating every weekday. Think about that. For Brawl, we had to wait an entire year for daily updates and this time around we got them right off the bat. Also, with Nintendo dedicating an entire Youtube channel to new Smash videos, the promise of reveal trailers for every newcomer, and Nintendo making Nintendo Directs a monthly thing, I can almost guarantee that the wait this time will be infinitely easier.
do you think we have to wait this long after the trailer to get the game this time?

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Brawl was delayed a few times during development.I think that is less likely to happen with SSB4 from what I've heard.
But yes it will be quite a while before it's released. Those hoping for a Jan-Feb release might be very disappointed.

iluvnintendo1983

Smash Journeyman
Brawl was delayed a few times during development.I think that is less likely to happen with SSB4 from what I've heard.
But yes it will be quite a while before it's released. Those hoping for a Jan-Feb release might be very disappointed.
It will be November or December 2014 for sure...although it might end up getting pushed to spring of 2015, just like how Brawl was pushed from a December 2007 release, to March 2008.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
It will be November or December 2014 for sure...although it might end up getting pushed to spring of 2015, just like how Brawl was pushed from a December 2007 release, to March 2008.
I'm quietly holding out hope that it'll be mid 2014.
I've heard SSB4 was much further in development when they showed it's trailer compared to Brawl. One reason to get your hopes up.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Istill dont get why it would take as long as holiday of next year seems a bit extreme esp with how complete the game looked at e3

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Istill dont get why it would take as long as holiday of next year seems a bit extreme esp with how complete the game looked at e3
I concur, I estimated a release date mid Q2 2014. The game looks far in development. However, judging from the delays that occurred with Brawl, people are highly expecting 2-3 months of delays (which is a whole Quarter).

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman
I sincerely doubt that it'll be more than 3 or 4 months, if that.
If we're lucky, they'll do all of the most important bits of character and mechanics balancing, release the game early, then add the little touches to spit-shine it to a gleaming finish via patches a mere few weeks after release.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I'm guessing the release will be August through December next year.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I sincerely doubt that it'll be more than 3 or 4 months, if that.
If we're lucky, they'll do all of the most important bits of character and mechanics balancing, release the game early, then add the little touches to spit-shine it to a gleaming finish via patches a mere few weeks after release.
I'd call that unlucky, personally. I will wait as long as necessary to ensure that I have a fully polished product at launch.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
do you think we have to wait this long after the trailer to get the game this time?
I doubt it. SSB4 is already close to a year and a half in development and we've already seen a lot more than what we saw with Brawl when it was first revealed. For Brawl, we really didn't get to see any real gameplay footage until the game was about a year in development and even then it was limited compared to what we saw just three weeks ago. Also, Brawl's development was roughly 2 years and that includes the two month delay that happened to deal with complications with the online features. These complications along with the SSE took up the bulk of the development process and with the WiiU having a significantly better online infrastructure than the Wii and multiplayer being more of the focus this time around, I doubt development will go far beyond 2 1/2 years.

With Brawl, Sakurai's original plan seemed to be to reveal characters in the starting roster in the last half year before the game came out. On the Dojo, May saw the reveal of Mario, Link, and Pit, June saw Kirby, Pikachu, Samus, Fox, Wario, and Zelda, July saw Bowser, ZSS, and DK, August saw Yoshi, Ike, Peach, Diddy, and Pokemon Trainer, September saw Metaknight, Ice Climbers, and Snake, October saw Sonic, Lucas, and King Dedede and, because of the delay, Olimar and, finally, Sheik were not revealed until January 2008, about two weeks before the Japanese release. This whole reveal process lasted roughly 7 months although the original course of action appeared to be roughly 5 since the Dojo opened up in late May 2007. Putting this into consideration, I feel that character profiles will start popping up in January at the earliest and March at the latest. Something to consider though is that Nintendo didn't do monthly Nintendo Directs back then and it's clear that this is how Nintendo intends to advertise this game.

Luigi player

Smash Master
the promise of reveal trailers for every newcomer, and Nintendo making Nintendo Directs a monthly thing, I can almost guarantee that the wait this time will be infinitely easier.
Was that really a promise from Nintendo? Or is he just assuming that it could be?

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
People actually think the game looked complete at E3???? o_o

The visuals are lackluster compared to other wii u games, judging by the lack of 3ds screenshots of some of the characters, they obviously have a lot of characters yet to create.

Really, the only thing that seemed complete at e3 was the fundamental stuff. The fact that they only showed characters and nothing else, when sakurai is constantly talking about how simply adding characters won't be enough, goes to show that they have a lot of work ahead of them.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
If those stages they showed are "complete", then it's a huge disappointment...
Seriously the Wily Castle looked fanmade, straight out of Project M.

Komenja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Komenja
I'm quietly holding out hope that it'll be mid 2014.
I've heard SSB4 was much further in development when they showed it's trailer compared to Brawl. One reason to get your hopes up.
Meh, gives me more time to save up for a Wii U.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
the stages seem pretty good to me
The stages are passable for a game that has to put focus on more important things, but they can surely look better. But the character models could look a lot nicer. DK's hands are hideous, Link's legs are constantly popping out of the front of his tunic (which didn't happen nearly that much in Brawl, so there's no excuse other than it not being done yet). The way they treat left/right facing idle animations is inconsistent among the various characters, etc.

But honestly, sometimes I don't know if its an issue of incompletion or an issue of them settling for less than what they can accomplish. DK's model, for instance, doesn't look nearly as polished as the model in DKC:TF. And the lighting in general leaves much to be desired.

Oric Windstar

Smash Rookie
But honestly, sometimes I don't know if its an issue of incompletion or an issue of them settling for less than what they can accomplish. DK's model, for instance, doesn't look nearly as polished as the model in DKC:TF. And the lighting in general leaves much to be desired.
I'm not too worried, as Sakurai kept saying during demonstrations and interviews that this was a rough version of the game. He even was specific in mentioning the graphics weren't complete

How much better they'll get remains to be seen.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I'm not too worried, as Sakurai kept saying during demonstrations and interviews that this was a rough version of the game. He even was specific in mentioning the graphics weren't complete

How much better they'll get remains to be seen.
I certainly hope it gets noticeably better. Smash is a superior franchise to Mario Kart, and it would be a travesty if Mario Kart 8 looked so much better than Smash 4. =P

One thing's for sure... I REALLY hope they give characters a "buried" animation so that it doesn't look like you've been freeze-framed into the ground.

Oric Windstar

Smash Rookie
I certainly hope it gets noticeably better. Smash is a superior franchise to Mario Kart, and it would be a travesty if Mario Kart 8 looked so much better than Smash 4. =P

One thing's for sure... I REALLY hope they give characters a "buried" animation so that it doesn't look like you've been freeze-framed into the ground.
Haha, well, it is weird how much better Mario Kart 8 looks than previous iterations. It's gorgeous!

And, yeah, the freeze-framed bury is a pet peeve of mine as well.

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
Was that really a promise from Nintendo? Or is he just assuming that it could be?
I vaguely remember something that said each character will have their own cinematic. I wouldn't be surprised if all the new comers had that as their cinematic. all of which have been awesome thus far IMO.... the megaman one gave me goose bumps when the music picked up and he shot the metal blades.

Anyways, I predict June 2014. Thats when Brawl was released, it might even be on the same day. People will be returning from college, and whats a better way to kick off the summer with old friends than a smash bros get together? I feel it would be a good time frame. Besides, the sooner it comes out the sooner wiiU sales pick up. As for gameplay announcements, each Nintendo Direct from now until launch will discuss one specific one, could be a character, or a gameplay method ect. And we will have a Smash Direct Feb-Mar next year. Full roster will be released closer to launch. By my guesses, May. (Just in case someone thought these statements were true, they are not. These are just my guesses.) I don't think the game will get delayed.... on WiiU, the console is in DESPERATE need of new games and a delay would be a brutal hit. 3ds is doing phenomenally so the holding up of smash 3ds to push forwards smash U can easily be done.... I mean seriously with the gold mine on 3DS who's even going to notice?

Oric Windstar

Smash Rookie
I vaguely remember something that said each character will have their own cinematic. I wouldn't be surprised if all the new comers had that as their cinematic. all of which have been awesome thus far IMO.... the megaman one gave me goose bumps when the music picked up and he shot the metal blades.
I believe it was in the French interview where he said that. He stated that he's going to try and make cinematics for each newcomer, but that their CG department (I'm sure that's not the actual term for it) could only do so much. Hopefully that means that, even if we don't get an intro for each character, we'll get an awesome game intro like Melee had. Brawl's opening always felt kind of lame for me.

Top Bottom