• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are there any characters you used to hate, but now you love? (And vice versa)

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
As the title says. This was my first smash game, so naturally when I played it, I was terrible. I didn't know about aeiral attacking, and tilts, and almost all attacks, as well as what a lot of other attacks did. So I used to hate Jigglypuff. Then, I learned more about the game, and now I secondary Jigglypuff.

udime123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3497-1825-3744
I saw Jigglypuff was a character in Smash 1 and instantly hated her. Why waste one of the few moveslots on such a weak Pokemon, right? Anyways, I basically ignored her in Melee, assured that all 12 characters are finite by this point and therefore no use in complaining. But, as Brawl came around, with the Puff being all crappy and stuff, I decided to look back at her in Smash 1. I played as her orignially as a joke, but I grew to like her, and now she's my Smash1 main, and my secondary in Sm4sh. Guess she's a common pick, because I've met about three other people with a similar story.

recme

Smash Cadet
NNID
recolorme
3DS FC
4871-4881-3739
i always thought falcon was super gay or something back in the melee/brawl days. i always played as pink falcon with him and never took him seriously.

after randomly playing with falcon with my friend online in sm4sh, he asked me if i mained falcon, since i beat him that match. i never realize that i was actually good, so i just took him and mained him in PM and sm4sh.

nowadays, i think falcon is pretty cool, with the whole knee and falcon punch thing.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Any character I used to hate, I either still hate or now tolerate. I'm okay with Wii Fit Trainer now.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I used to hate :4bowserjr:, :4jigglypuff:, :4palutena:, :4peach: and :4sonic: but now...I still hate them even more.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
When Brawl first came out, I hated Ike because I saw him as a grossly overrated character who it seemed like every terrible player in the world picked up (much like Little Mac now). About a year after Brawl came out though, I played through Path of Radiance and came to discover that he's one of the most developed protagonists that Nintendo has ever made. Now he's one of my favorite video game characters of all time.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
At first I really hated Ganondorf mainly in Melee. When Brawl came out I didn't like his over play style but I appreciated the changes in his move set. But then I realized his forward tilt was the funniest way to kill people so I started playing him.

In vice versa Lucario, I loved his aura mechanic from Brawl but I found it hard to play 4 player matches with him. But I hate that they buffed his aura in Smash 4 cause now all people do is camp and spam Aura spheres when they're at 100%.

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I was originally strongly opposed to Snake and Villagers inclusion before their Smash Bros games were released. Now I can't see the series without them.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I've been mostly pretty consistant in my love and hate opinions on certain characters; Yoshi is always loved, Falco is always disliked, etc.

A few that changed: Rosalina, Palutena and Marth went from personal dislikes to middle of the road characters for me.

Wii Fit Trainer went from despised as a choice to fairly liked.

Greninja went from horrid indifference to become my favourite playable Pokemon.

Mii Fighters went from dreaded, to genuinely exciting and finally mediocre picks for me.

Bowser Jr. was dreaded, but the way he was implemented made me fall in love with it. Koopalings helped.

Dr. Mario is still a waste of space IMO.

Wario's gone from the hypest thing revealed in Brawl for me to just kind of liked.

Peach with every passing Smash game goes from being liked by me to being the reoccurring reason I can't have the one newcomer I have genuinely wanted in the game since Smash 64 with her out of character neutral B move. Seriously, cut that out. I LIKED Peach, quit making me hate her.

candyissweet

Smash Apprentice
Back when I first unlocked Ganondorf in Brawl, I thought he was ugly so I avoided his block on the roster and for like two months there was the "NEW!" thing on his spot.

When I found out Ganondorf was from Zelda, I was finally like, "oh wait he's pretty cool." Now I use him all the time.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I was indifferent about Kid Icarus characters until KI:U came out, now I really dislike them.
Does that count?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Disliked Pit in Brawl.

He's now my favourite Nintendo character.

I used to be indifferent to outright vitriolic to the concept of Shulk as a playable character.

Then I saw his trailer and now he's among my favourite newcomers.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Smash soured my opinion on :4palutena:. I don't hate her, but I'm kinda "eh" on her. She's still alright in Uprising I suppose (gotta love Ali Hillis).

I went from shallow interest in :4fox: and :4falco:, to them being some of my favourite characters, since I have started getting hooked on the Star Fox franchise since Smash 4 came out.

The Smash community kinda ruins :4falcon: at times for me, as he is basically the mascot for tryhard players. But I still love the character in the F-Zero anime. Smash fans just turn him into some macho man, but in the F-Zero anime, he was an exceptional mentor and was actually quite wise and reserved, while still having some badassery about him, which I really like.

Those are just character portrayals though, and nothing to do with gameplay.

As far as playing as characters go, I used to hate playing as :4falco: and :4greninja: in Smash 4, but I actually greatly enjoy them now. They are part of my "rising interests" group of characters. :4feroy:, :4mewtwo:, and :4lucas: also feel good to me in this game compared to past iterations, especially :4feroy:. And while I still prefer :4marth:, I like using :4lucina: now whenever I want some mindless sword-slashing fun.

I also used to hate playing as :4robinm:, but now I quite enjoy him, and I think I might be pretty good with him.

:4charizard: is also great after the most recent buffs he got.

:4yoshi: was a character I rarely touched in past games, but now he's one of my top 5.

I used to love playing as :4duckhunt:, but now he's just kinda there. My skill has kinda dropped with him. I still really want that Amiibo, though.

Last edited:

udime123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3497-1825-3744
Come to think of it, I also didn't like Ness. I use dto think "Wow, some kid in a hat can apparaently beat the crap out of a massive Gorilla and a lihtning fast Fox with lasers?!" But now that I look back on it, that's exactly the same reason I like him now. Weird, huh?

Furret24

Smash Master
Back when I first played Brawl, I didn't know who half of the cast was, this included :kirby2:, who I thought was ugly and stupid (ironic, considering I loved :jigglypuff:, even back when I was 9, when anything outside of Jab, Tilts, and Specials were alien to me). Now Kirby is one of my favorite videogame characters of all time.

I used to think that :popo: and:4lucas: were grossly overrated back when people first found out that they were cut (seriously, nobody cared about the Ice Climbers before August 2014), and :4feroy: to an extent. Now I-

Oh, wait, I still don't like them and still find them to be grossy overrated (no offense to the Icies support thread).

kingofconeyisland

Smash Rookie
NNID
coneyislandking
in brawl i used to hate:olimar: for some reason maybe it was bc i thought he was weird, but now i actually kinda like olimar lol
i didnt hate :pit:but he really annoyed me bc of his side b but after i played uprising i really like:4pit: now
:popo: another character i thought that was really annoying i grew to like them overtime , but now after they've been cut i really want them back as dlc

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I really hated G&W for a long time. For whatever reason, I could never respect his obscene obscurity. But recently, I've started playing him and he's become one of the more fun characters to play imo.

I also used to hate WFT. Especially as one of the 3 newcomers announced. I was hyping out of my mind over Mega Man, as he's my favorite video game character of all time. Then we had Villager, and I had just recently gotten really into Animal Crossing. The hype was uncontainable, that is, until the white-silhouette container revealed her disgusting blank face. I hated seeing her in the game, and honestly she took away a bit of my hype. It made me scared as to what I should expect from the rest of the newcomers. As time passed, I coped with her appearance in the game, as I understood the significance of Wii Fit. And now, I find her very fun to play as. She's extremely unconventional, and kinda tough to use against certain opponents, but stretching those legs after a glorious victory never gets old.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Jigglypuff and Dr. Mario, who ended up being my main and secondary, respectively.
Jigglypuff I initially hated because she seemed like such a weak, useless Pokémon, I mean, who the **** SINGS people to death? I couldn't imagine for the life of me why she was in Smash. Then, to mock her some more, I played as her for one match, and I found myself hopelessly in love with a wide-eyed, pink balloon. I loved the way she could bob and weave around attacks in the air. She ended up becoming a secondary in Brawl and a main in 4.
Dr. Mario I didn't like because I found it an insult to Mario that he was literally just another Mario dressed as a doctor and somehow better. Then I actually found the real backstory behind him and turns out, he's not just Mario dressed up, but an entirely different Mario. To top it all off, he was fun as **** to play as, although I didn't get to fully appreciate him because I found myself sick and tired of Melee after but a year.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Had no idea who :4rob: was for obvious reasons, but he became one of my favorite characters after I went into competitive.
I also wasn't too interested in :ivysaur: until I tried PM.

edit: lol at all the posts saying "hate, still hate", though

Last edited:
Top Bottom