• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are ps2 controllers allowed in tournaments?

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Link to original post: [drupal=5344]Are ps2 controllers allowed in tournaments?[/drupal]

I played some Ps2 today and I was curious to know what is the sensation to play smash with a Ps2 controller.

Is possible to connect the ps2 controller to your wii with these things:

or

And now the question:
Are ps2 controllers allowed in tournaments?

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Didn't even know these existed, but there's not a universal answer to this question. You may not have noticed, but Brawl doesn't really have a standardized ruleset and rulesets vary from region to region, and from TO to TO. Some tournies may allow them, some may not.

Some might say no for absolutely no reason. Some might say no because it becomes much easier to mash. Some might say yes, as long as you don't do anything like button mapping (ie 'hack' the controller so that pressing 1 button would input multiple commands...eg if you mapped your controller so that when you pressed Square, the result would be a DACUS)

Some might say "Lol yeah w/e go ahead idgaf" and with TOs like them you could probably get away with button mapping.

And some might say yes/no for various reasons.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I asked it in the brazilian foruns,and they said it's ok to use it,but they added: "A GC controller is much better than a ps2 controller for smash."
Curious to see what other rulesets would think of a ps2 controler for smash.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Come to think of it, I take back what I said about mashing.

PS2 controller has
2 analog sticks
1 D-pad
4 shoulder buttons
4 regular buttons (5 if you count Select, but idk if you can use it)

GCC has
2 analog sticks
1 D-pad
3 shoulder buttons
4 regular buttons

Wiimote (you can't use Wiichuck with this, or at least it doesn't seem like it from the photo) has
0 analog sticks
1 D-pad
1 shoulder button
4 regular buttons (+ and - can't be used)

This means that when you connect the PS2 controller to either of these, not all the buttons on the PS2 controller will register inputs.

Assuming you can't assign multiple PS2 buttons to 1 Wiimote/GCC button (eg assigning L1 + L2 to L on the GCC) anyway. If you can, then it'd be better for mashing.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Come to think of it, I take back what I said about mashing.

PS2 controller has
2 analog sticks
1 D-pad
4 shoulder buttons
4 regular buttons (5 if you count Select, but idk if you can use it)

GCC has
2 analog sticks
1 D-pad
3 shoulder buttons
4 regular buttons

Wiimote (you can't use Wiichuck with this, or at least it doesn't seem like it from the photo) has
0 analog sticks
1 D-pad
1 shoulder button
4 regular buttons (+ and - can't be used)

This means that when you connect the PS2 controller to either of these, not all the buttons on the PS2 controller will register inputs.

Assuming you can't assign multiple PS2 buttons to 1 Wiimote/GCC button (eg assigning L1 + L2 to L on the GCC) anyway. If you can, then it'd be better for mashing.
There's a error here,if you put the ps2 controller in the Wii Remote,the game will think you connected a Classic,not only the wii remote.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
OH okay I didn't know, that makes sense.

What about if you plug it in the first way (ie as a GCC)? There's still 1 more shoulder button...though I guess that won't make a huge difference when it comes to mashing.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
where can you get one of these? and configure it
Google it "ps2 controller adapter for nintendo wii"

Also,look at this:

I can see L(Classic) being L1(ps2);
Zl being L2;
R(classic) being R1(ps2);
Zr being R2;
+ being start;
- being select;
Home I really don't know,maybe the analog button? lol.

About x,b,y,a, I think it's possible to configure by the preference of the player.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
UP

I want to see the opinion of more people about it.

TL?

Smash Ace
I think most places would allow it. I would reccomend PS2 to GC instead of to wii and avoid the whole wireless part. I don't see any reason to disallow this unless your controller has macros or something.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Should be allowed, though from playing Gitaroo man alot, I feel like Ps2 analog sticks aren't as precise as you would want for for competitive smash. They get pretty slippery.

That sounds awesome anyway, I'll definitely get myself one instead of a classic controller now.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Well, as long as it isn't possible to do insane button-mapping as infinite pointed out, I don't see why it wouldn't be allowed, considering the sheer amount of controller styles one can use for Brawl in particular. Not sure about Melee though. I imagine the controls being similar, if not, downright the same as playing on a Classic Controller.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Smash is 100% grassroot tourneys, meaning nintendo ain't gonna be there to say no.

Does the ps2 right analog stick function as the cstick?

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Looking at it, I guess you could say it can function like the c-stick.

Take a look at the reviews on this page:
http://www.amazon.com/PS2-Controlle...iewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

The controller functions would be similar to this:

Start .......................................... +
Select ......................................... -
Gamepad ........................ Gamepad
Analog Sticks .............. Analog Sticks
X .............................................. b
O .............................................. a
SQUARE ..................................... y
TRiANGLE ................................... x
R1 ........................................... ZR
R2 ............................................. R
L1 ............................................ ZL
L2 .............................................. L
R3/L3 .................................. Home
Now looking at this, it could be a problem.

R3/L3 .................................. Home
And it could mean the possibility that a person, who uses a ps2 controller, could accidentally press on the analog sticks (R3/L3) while playing a set of a tournament match, causing to disrupt the playthrough.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Oh wow, thats horrible. You cannot turn the home feature off like you can for pause. So you would be 100% screwed if you accidentally pressed home while moving the control sticks.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Also, If someone says there's still hope because of the analog button, I'm going to say that he, or she, is sadly incorrect.

It doesn't turn off the R3/L3 function; The analog button actually turns the anolog sticks on and off, alongside R3/L3.
You can use the directional pads instead when off, but the directional pads are only functional as taunt buttons for brawl/melee.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I have played on PS2 and PS3 controllers. While yes, it's possible to accidently hit R3/L3, you usually have to make an effort in clicking on the analog sticks, and they become easier to click when the sticks are stationary as opposed to being in motion. Still, I can see the concern.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
True, but it's still best to use infinite's opinion and just use the GC port.
Still, I wonder if it functions properly when used.

Top Bottom