• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are overlooked (but unique) Nintendo characters really important?

parrothead

Smash Lord
Shame on you parrothead, you claim to be for the oscure Nitendo characters, but Kensuke Kimachi and Ryota Hayami are nowhere on your lists!

Chack them out from my sig, and see how well they can fight!

BTW Uniracer FTW!
Kensuke Kimachi and Ryota Hayami are obscure, but I'm adding the ones that are suitable enough to fight. Kensuke and Ryota don't fight at all, they just play Nintendo Sports. Sakurai is searching for the most unique characters that are suitable enough to fight, not every character from every single franchise. I'm not going to add side-characters either, I'm only adding the protagonists/most major characters that are suitable enough to fight.

Falco-Z

Smash Apprentice
The characters on Parrothead's list are exactly which obscure characters should be considered. Major characters from unrecognized franchises are the most useable for Smash Bros since they represent their franchises just by being included.

*Added later* By this I meant that these are the most useable for Smash Bros. of the obscure characters. Not like people's favorite minor characters from obscure games.

D

Deleted member

Marshigio, what happened to your sig?

It depends, really. Obviously if a character is so obscure then they probably have little or no chance, then again if they were unique enough in a game then they have a higher chance.

I agree with Chaos_Dude. We don't need huge amounts of generic characters from single games (no Zoras, Gorons etc.), but rather unique individuals. Sadly, generics are much better known and popular in general...

Black/Light

Smash Master
I don't really agree too much. Yes, there are good and unique characters on lesser known series who would be fun characters. But NO, I don't think they should just go hunting for these characters in the Nintendo history books or anything.

The way I see it any unique and fun character should be put in based on how fun and unique they are. . . not just because their from a lesser game or a unpopulare one at that. Look at Starfy(If it's spelled wrong than don't B^^^ about it), he is a VERY unique character that would work great in brawl and he's fun. . . but he is not overlooked. He's populare as H@ll in Japan and has 4 games and lil Japanese girls from a famose Japanese girl band singing in a music vid about him. The only reason I could see that he wasn't in Melee was because the div (Surkie(sp) I know I spelled that wrong) wanted to focus less on adding his own characters so he stands a good chance of getting into brawl.

Even while known series like Zelda has unique characters that would be fun to have in brawl. Look at Wolf Link (With Midna), he would be the first ever completely 4-legged character to make it into brawl and his team work with Midna would make him completely unique and have a large range of attacks. Should they choose a lesser known character over him because there's already a Link in the game or because he's populare? No, unique characters should get in peroid. And plus, the most populare games and series have brong in WAY more money to Nintendo than lesser/ unknowns so they should have the most characters(Mario/ Pokemon/ Zelda) than the lesser knowns. . .just get unique characters from those series and pick from the lesser knowns second.

icymatt

Smash Lord
To me, I don't care what series the character is from, as long as they look like they would be fun to play as. Of course, I still want some of Nintendo's lesser-known or older series to get some representation just because they deserve it(this includes the Wars series, Golden Sun, and Punch-Out!!). Of course the more popular stuff will make up most of the roster, but you still need balance. I don't want them adding tons of Mario and Zelda characters just because they are known in the mainstream. I'd take Jill, Takamaru, or Stafy over Waluigi, Daisy, or Fierce Deity Link any day.

parrothead

Smash Lord
I'm not saying Stafy is overlooked overall, I'm saying that Stafy is quite overlooked in America and most other countries outside of Japan. Same goes to other overlooked characters on the list. The reason why I am discussing about overlooked characters being in SSBB is because of Mr. Game & Watch, the Ice Climbers, Marth, Roy, and some overlooked characters as Trophies. That rumor about Ridley, Bowser JR., and the cel-shaded Young Link replacing Mr. Game & Watch and the Ice Climbers was freakin' fake, because it was made by a SSB fan who wants more overrated characters and wants every overlooked character removed.

D

Deleted member

Even while known series like Zelda has unique characters that would be fun to have in brawl. Look at Wolf Link (With Midna), he would be the first ever completely 4-legged character to make it into brawl and his team work with Midna would make him completely unique and have a large range of attacks. Should they choose a lesser known character over him because there's already a Link in the game or because he's populare? No, unique characters should get in peroid.
Amen. I agree with that top sentence in particular. But if you go hunting for old chacracters it defeats the entire purpose of adding them, simply because you need a degree of populairty (how ever low) to be included. Sure, I wouldn't mind Zora or Gorn Link (I might even use them), but I'd take Vaati, Skull Kid or Ralph over them any day.

Half of Brawl is about personality and utter wierdness (a game that includes a 2-D fighter and a fox?), and generic characters don't have that at all.

Off topic slightly, has Gideon changed the allowed size of sigs? Cause I can't get mine to show properly now :(.

parrothead

Smash Lord
*BUMP*

I kept supporting obscure (but unique) Nintendo characters, but many of you people in this forum almost alway ignore them and continue supporting side characters from overrated titles. Remember the Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, Pit, Marth, Roy, and other lesser-known (but unique) characters before the Super Smash Bros. franchise was born?

Stafy counts as an obscure (but unique) character. Even though he is not obscure in Japan, he is obscure outside of Japan. TOSE might not even let him enter SSBB as a trophy, because they want to be "behind the scenes" from the audience outside of Japan.

Characters from GBA titles have a pretty low chance at entering SSBB, because most of them are from outdated GBA titles. However, because the GBA is still a system that sees active development, the possibility does remain.

How do I support these obscure (but unique) characters besides creating threads about them? I write and update articles about the titles they appear in for Wikipedia, I upload gameplay videos of them, I search for information and data about them using both English and Japanese text in a few search engines, and I sometimes create some other kinds of interesting stuff about them.

Some obscure (but unique) characters from some NES/Famicom, SNES/Super Famicom, and N64 titles ported to the Virtual Console have a pretty good chance at entering SSBB. That way, Nintendo can use the characters to advertise their appearances.

I can almost tell how much the obscure (but unique) characters are worth adding to the SSBB roster. I strongly hope that Sakurai will add some of the characters I'm supporting.

D

Deleted member

Good to see you again bud.

Anyhow, who says that a character has to be new, or revolutionary, to be selected? Some of the the most memorable are those that only did have one shot-at-fame.

SupaSmashBrotha

Smash Ace
Yeah but how would you feel if you went to a concert and they started playing some Joseph Haydn instead of *insert famous artist(s) here*.

P.S. Joseph Haydn was a classical music composer from Austria in the mid 1700's. He was known as the "Father of Symphony".

parrothead

Smash Lord
*BUMP*

I have a feeling that some lesser-known Nintendo characters are obsolete and now are in the video game graveyard. A very large number of people as fans of an obscure Nintendo title or series will not guarantee to make Nintendo revive it. This has happened to MOTHER 3, even though there was a powerful petition with extraordinary fan creations, it made Shigesato Itoi (creator of the MOTHER series) develop and release MOTHER 3 only in Japan, but it was announced for release in Europe, but not in America nor Australia. This has happened to many other video game manufacturers.

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
I think that A) We should avoid obscure characters that AREN'T gonna be Virtual Console'd anytime soon. It makes more sense to promote an obscure game if you profit from it, and B) We should also avoid third-party characters who won't appear on the Virtual Console or the Wii Proper.

Other than that all bets are off! =P

Personally, I would say that each of the MAJOR sections of United Nintendo should have at least one representative... Seeing as Nintendo RD1, Nintendo EAD, Intelligent Systems, HAL Labs, Creatures Inc (formerly known as Ape Inc, so Earthbound is to their credit), and Game Freak all are representive and Nintendo EAD Tokyo, Genius Sonority and Retro Studios are represented by default of not having an original franchise...

What we NEED is representives for Nintendo IRD (Mac is the obvious choice), Camelot (I would hope for Isaac from Golden Sun, but they also created Waluigi. In the words of Fawful, "It is the sadness. ;_;"), AlphaDream (Demille if Square Enix is forking in Geno, Fawful if not), and if Square Enix is in then Brownie Brown (With someone from the Mana series)

And lastly, the hero of Project HAMMER merely as an ad like Roy, and the fact it could represent NST in this.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Mike can also rep RD1, and the more I think about it, the more I really CAN see him appearing (realistically, too).

Brownie Brown would add a Magical Vacation character, not Mana.

icymatt

Smash Lord
I think that A) We should avoid obscure characters that AREN'T gonna be Virtual Console'd anytime soon. It makes more sense to promote an obscure game if you profit from it, and B) We should also avoid third-party characters who won't appear on the Virtual Console or the Wii Proper.
I don't agree with this. Most obscure characters would be chosen because they'd be fun mechanically, not to promote anything. Also, what about obscure characters who appear on Nintendo consoles that aren't on the VC (i.e. handhelds)?

marthsword

Smash Ace
Yes, paras is.

On a serious note, the characters that will be fun to play, and have a moveset that will work will probably be in there. There will be some crazy unexpected characters in brawl like game & watch and marth I am pretty sure.

parrothead

Smash Lord
There hasn't been a single original Game Boy representative ever used, like Alice (Balloon Kid and Balloon Fight GB), Muddy the Mole (Mole Mania), and Sablé & Richard (For the Frog the Bell Tolls).

And there hasn't been a Game Boy Color representative, like Kevin (Monster Tactics) and Hiro (Card Hero).

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
I think they are important. Although I haven't heard of alot of the ones you posted...lol
Anyways it would be boring if only popular characters made it in the game. The more unique the better. Seriously who would have ever expected to see G & W or IC again? I love the idea of seeing characters make it back into the spot light even if its just a fighting game and not a sequal although some characters need a good sequal. *CoughcoughKidIcarus* Uniquness=fun.

Are you kidding no GB rep? Pikachu is the character that reps GB in my opioin.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Not only that, but Pokemon (known as Pocket Monsters in Japan) is also one of Nintendo's best selling franchises. It's just like Mario and Zelda, which are NES representatives and two of Nintendo's best selling franchises.

I really mean other representatives besides the ones that are more than just representatives.

I know I'm missing a lot of other overlooked characters, but I believe the ones in the first post are the best choices in my opinion. The Stunt Race FX vehicles, Kururin (Kururin series), and the Solar Striker (Solar Striker) are good examples of overlooked characters that don't look like they'll fit into SSBB as playable characters, but perhaps as trophies.

parrothead

Smash Lord
*BUMP*

Look at Namco x Capcom, Jump Super/Ultimate Stars, NeoGeo Battle Coliseum, and other simliar titles. How many characters from those titles have you never even heard of before?

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
*BUMP*

Look at Namco x Capcom, Jump Super/Ultimate Stars, NeoGeo Battle Coliseum, and other simliar titles. How many characters from those titles have you never even heard of before?
Actually, I read ALOT of Jump, and knew every series in Jump Ultimate Stars :p

But yes, we need some characters makes new gamers know there are other Nintendo games than Mario, Zelda and Pokemon

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
*BUMP*

Jump Super Stars vs. Super Smash Bros= Best.....game.....ever! Of course, this game is only a pipe dream.....

parrothead

Smash Lord
*bump*

Right now, there is a thread at NSider talking about many Nintendo characters. Some of them are well-known, while some of them are lesser-known.

Algus, the starter of the thread called "Know Your Newcomers", needs to update it, because some of the YouTube links are no longer available. Here is his thread:

http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo...ssage.id=694548&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

He also created some videos related to his thread. The first one was made by Algus, while the second one was made by me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2ebW7SFuR0

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-250356102966140144&hl=en

Devastlian

Smash Lord
I always wanted to play Giftpia. It had, like, the best intro theme ever. :/ Also, about the question posed in the topic title, I just wouldn't want all these awesome characters left out for such shallow reasons as not being released out of Japan etc. They're just too awesome.

parrothead

Smash Lord
If some Nintendo characters are obsolete, then Nintendo might have sent them to the video game graveyard. Just like two ice cream flavors invented by the Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream company: Peanut Butter & Jelly, and Sugar Plum.

It seems that when most people see an original title, they sometimes enjoy it, then go back to overplaying the overrated franchises and titles.

GreenMamba

Smash Journeyman
Unneeded shots at fans of popular series aside, I do believe it is time for Skapon's moment to shine.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Unneeded shots at fans of popular series aside, I do believe it is time for Skapon's moment to shine.
True, because he and Joy Mech Fight should tell Nintendo/SSB fans that Super Smash Bros. isn't Nintendo's very first 2D fighter.

parrothead

Smash Lord
*bump*

It seems that no matter how hard I try to support lesser-known (but unique) Nintendo characters and titles, it just won't make Nintendo bring them back. One consumer/customer/fan isn't enough. Starmen.Net supports the MOTHER/EarthBound series the same way, but by using more people and more things.

They used snail-mail petitioning instead of online petitioning to try and make Shigesato Itoi, HAL Laboratory, and Nintendo finish and release MOTHER 3. Fans sent a bunch of stuff, including fan art. The petition ALMOST didn't do anything, but it made Itoi, HAL, and Nintendo release MOTHER 1+2 and MOTHER 3, but they weren't released in America or Europe for unknown reasons.

Right now, I am trying to fight against my laziness and college work, so I can spend more time doing some fun stuff with Nintendo's lesser-known and underrated titles. I hope I don't lose my interest in gaming, because I have several dreams that make me want them to come to life.

And by the way, how many Japan-Only characters do you believe will enter SSBB as playables? It looks like the rosters in the SSB series are doubled (or nearly tripled). There were no Japan-Only characters in SSB64, while there were two in SSBM. Perhaps there would be four, five, or six in SSBB.

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
Out of your list that I saw, I think only Stafy(because hes INSANELY popular over sea and even though Sakurai said he wouldn't have many Jpan only characters,that doesn't automatically at least one Japan only char.) Mach Rider(because of the thousands times mentioned Melee Beta test rumor) and ROB(because he made it into Mario Kart DS, and he was well-recieved, so why not SSBB?)

Kazuya

Smash Journeyman
I appreciate you trying to get the classic characters back - but saying "over rated characters" is kinda insulting to some of the characters you listed.... (Crono for example).

If anything, he's the most under rated character to ever be suggested in Brawl, Crono originating from the Best RPG ever made should be a instant/automatic implication for Brawl, yet his chances are very low.

The characters you mention, they are classic characters but the games they produced weren't exactly AAA Titles. From the characters you listed, I can see 2 that actually deserve a decent chance of being in Brawl.

It's like saying Muddy the Mole/Michael deserves to be in Brawl rather than Captain Olimar...

I like that you have Mach Rider and Sherriff in the poll. They two would fit into Brawl nicely, the other... Just slightly bit too kiddy this time round.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Out of your list that I saw, I think only Stafy(because hes INSANELY popular over sea and even though Sakurai said he wouldn't have many Jpan only characters,that doesn't automatically at least one Japan only char.) Mach Rider(because of the thousands times mentioned Melee Beta test rumor) and ROB(because he made it into Mario Kart DS, and he was well-recieved, so why not SSBB?)
that reminds me, I was at an anime convention, and I saw a Stafy plushy, and I REALLY wanted to buy it, but my dad said no.

Ahh, well, I can always buy it at the store later on...

Plus, I REALLY hope Stafy gets in! He's my second most-wanted character!

GenG

Smash Lord
It seems that no matter how hard I try to support lesser-known (but unique) Nintendo characters and titles, it just won't make Nintendo bring them back.
Some of these are better dead.

Tera253

Smash Ace
onlless than 1% (Tera can only think of one right off the bat) of overlooked Nintendo characters are really that important. they should contunue that way.

Now, with Pit...

Tera was one of the select few that had ever played a Kid Icarus game (as any question about the GB game 'of myths and monsters', and you'll get the answer) not too overlooked. he was a huge wantee in Melee

as for Game & Watch...

it just so happened that Tera had also played G&W gallery (the GB/GBC games) about a year before she played Melee, and only about 2 months before she heard that he was in the game.

as for Ness, Marth, and Roy...

they WERE overlooked, but, with their inclusion is Smash Bros and/or Smash Bros Melee, they've heightened their fanchise, particualrly Marth and Roy. (not too concerned about Ness)

as for Doctor Mario...

he was referenced many times whenever descriptions of Mario appeared. and yes, Tera actually played the game. it's a lot like TETRIS. actually, if Tera recalls correctly, there were about 3 or 4 Dr. Mario games in all.

as for Captain Falcon...

he's not overlooked. what are you playing at? this forums has a forum dedicated to F-ZERO world.

as for Ice Climbers...

Tera really didn't know who they were. nonetheless, they are like Ness, Marth and Roy now. once inferior, now, with SSBM, they're hugely popular. (infite grabs anyone?)
Basically, most overlooked Nintendo characters are not too important, and don't need to be in the game.
~Tera253~

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Tera's post gave me the idea of saying my opinion on each one of the characters parrothead posted.

Stafy

Definitely! He's not oply popular in Japan, but overseas as well (imporated games, of course). I'd love to see him in!

DeMille/Demiru

I've seen what kind of game Tomato Adventure is like, and it looks like fun! It's from the same company that did Mario & Luigi: Superstar Sage, so it should be! I wonder if there'll be a sequel... Well, since he's on Sakurai's poll, I should probably expect him. I would like to see him, but not as much as Stafy.

Mike Jones

I've heard a lot about StarTropics, and I think that a game like THAT deserves to have it's star in Brawl! The only thing people have a beef with him is that StarTropics has only been in America and Europe, but not Japan. But the way I see it, it's like Marth and Roy. Just like how they're a big surpise for us, he'll be a big surprise for them!

Michael Anderson

I think I once saw a commerical for Battle Clash, but that's about it. I don't have an opinion about him, but if it's Nintendo, I'll support it! :p

Takamaru

Once I learned more about Murasame Castle of Mystery, and saw the gameplay, I became an all-out supporter for Takamaru! Plus he's on Sakuria's poll, so I can definitely expect him! Takamaru's cool, samurai power! :laugh:

Hakkun

He's that snowman-like guy with the beak, right? I've seen him around, but I'm not really a supporter of him. He'd be interesting, though!

Tin Star

I've seen screenshots of Tin Star. Even if he is Nintendo, he looks... goffy. A little too goofy for me. As far as cowboy characters go, I'm going with the Sheriff.

Sablé and Richard

I remember back when I first played The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (my first LoZ game), and seeing Richard there with all the frogs. I never realized who he was at that time, though. I think they'd be a neat turn-out.

Leaf

I remember holding a poll on another forum, and along with Ike, Leaf made it to one of the most wanted characters on the list (although he was in last place). That's enough proof for me to be convinced that Leaf has a good chance as a Fire Emblem character!

Lolo & Lala

Heh, you know, it's funny. I see these guys more as Kirby characters then as stars of their own game! If they're Kirby characters, though, I'm behind them all the way (though I'm supporting King Dedede, Rick, Gooey, etc. more, I'm afraid.

Rick Wheeler/Ryu Suzaku

Not interested in this guy. He looks too much like Mike Jones, plus I'd definitely prefer Samurai Goroh over ANY F-Zero character any day! Plus he reminds me too much of the anime, which I thought sucked IMO (and it's NOT just because 4Kids did the dubbing!)

Jill

I've seeing good things about Drill Dozer from Nintendo Power. And if she's on Sakurai's poll, then I think she's got a good shot!

Skapon

Not only is he mentioned on Sakurai's Poll, but he was also one of the top 15 in 1999's Melee poll as well! Plus, he was from Nintendo's first only original fighting game. Even though it might be too late, I am SO supporting him!!!

Ninten

...He looks too much like Ness, if you ask me, which would make things hard... I'm going to give my support of other Earthbound/Mother characters.

Muddy Mole

From the moment I found out Muddy was from a Shigeru Miyamoto original, I instantly became a supporter! Muddy all the way!

Lip

Word's going around that she could replace Dr. Mario as a representitive of a Nintendo Puzzle game. I'd like to see her, along with the previous Panel de Pon references from Melee.

Harry

****, that's a cool looking character! And from the Virtual Boy! You don't get anymore overlooked then THAT! :p

Fighter Hayabusa

...Meh. If we're going to fighters, I'd much rather see Lil' Mac.

Alice

Like the guy before, I'd much rather see the original Balloon Fighter.

Mach Rider

Hmm, well, he does have a cool them! Although, people are talking about how he'd fight. He's usually seen riding his bike, sin't he? Anyway, I don't care if he makes it or not.

Any Wild Gunman

Wild Gunman... OH, WAIT! I remember now, from WarioWare In.: Mega Microgame$! Yeah, they'd be funny! :laugh:

Sheriff

Ahh, now this guy's a cowboy! I'd support Sherif all the way, if I could! He'd keep Mr. Game & Watch company! :p

Mr. Stevenson

If I had to choose 1 gunman for Brawl, however, I'd have to go with Mr. Stevenson! Just thinking about him is cool! he's a former detective, and he shoots bad guys, plus he looks total bad@$$, IMO! Mr. Stevenson all the way!

BTW, you mentioned Tin Star twice.

Kururin

Eh, not too trilled by this guy. I don't care much for him.

Anyone from Stunt Race FX

Never heard of this game, Stunt Race FX. *looks up on Wikipedia* ...Car characters... yeah... I'd rather see someone else.

Any of the Ray's from the Custom Robo series, other than Ray 01 from Custom Robo: Battle Revolution

I don't care which Ray makes it in, I'd still think it'd be awesome! I mean, Custom Robo is a fighting game already, right? It only makes sense for him to be in it!

Mark

I didn't even realize that kid had a name. I'd much rather see that other card game kid, though...

Hiro

Yeah, this guy! Maybe if he makes it into Brawl, maybe the card game series will come to the US as well!

Masaru Kado

Wasn't he a trophy in Melee? I don't know... Maybe just main character, and that'd be fine with me.

Anyone from Magical Vacation 1 and 2

Magical Vacation looks too girly for me... But it's mentioned in Sakurai's poll... *sigh*

Anyone from Monster Tactics

No Wikipedia article... So I can't properly say my opinion about this.

R.O.B.

TOTALLY! If not a playable character, then at least a boss, trophy, or something! R.O.B. has definitely earned some respect over the years to deserve a place in Brawl!

Blonde-haired Little Mac

Blonde hair, black hair, it makes no different to me. Either one would be cool.

Top Bottom