• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are lasers useless?

Eurova

Smash Rookie
So much ending lag on them, i can barely see any use for them other than getting 2-4% on opponents when match begins. Anyone else feels this way?

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Laser camping doesn't work but if they're far away I still shoot at them.

Extra percent doesn't hurt.. Unless you're facing lucario..

Eurova

Smash Rookie
Laser camping doesn't work but if they're far away I still shoot at them.

Extra percent doesn't hurt.. Unless you're facing lucario..
Its not even about camping, you could always find time to squeeze lasers in a fight. As it is its a risk for a minimal reward.

RPK

Smash Lord
Free percent is free percent. If theyre too far away to do anything else but shoot them, then do it. If you cant get punished for it, and its free percent then why not.

G-Sword

Smash Journeyman
come on now. lasers useless? they are never useless even if you cant double jump with them. if you are at a safe distance fire away until they approach. even if you are just a little bit away from them fire a shot or two just for the hell of it. 90% of the time they wont react fast enough to either dodge/block it or attack you from doing a shot or two. helps just to tack on some damage and reset damage on your attacks.

Element_Demon

Smash Cadet
Lasers are good again for forcing your opponent to approach fox. Other then that...ehh...rip short hop double lazors.

jr22

Smash Apprentice
It's only useful if you use from a far distance and your opponet is too far to punish it, they no choice to approach you try to punish. So its a free percentage. But I suggest you shouldn't do this to Lil' Mac and Sonic.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
playing against fox means you're % is always going up or you're in the fray with him. It's like a "no breather" debuff for opponents who can't handle it.

The only issue I have, which I found with myself, is when I first picked him up I used them for safe mid/long range punishes too much. It felt nice, and seemed like it was favorable, but if you have a better option like a dash grab/attack or aerial, those should be the priority (usually) Just make sure you're not wasting time pewpew'n when you could be boot slammin.

I think they're far better than Falco's new ones, so let's just be happy we have the more stable option.

The custom laser options seem really good though. I love the charge one... holy hell it kills at high % and even if it takes a bit of time, it's such a safer gimp option than what we currently have going for us depending on the MU and situation. Time will lessen its effectiveness as people will be used to it and the telegraphed "I'MMA FIRIN MA LASER" but there are times when this shot will just trump the situation, and makes a much more dangerous mid range punish on read. It's kind of like Gordos in that it's great if you are smart with it, but it's going to be trash if spammed. This could just fit my play style personally though, so feel free to disagree.

Last edited:

Mettie7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mettie7
3DS FC
2191-8121-7929
If you have enough time to recover from the lag, why would you say no to free damage?

JmacAttack

Wielder of the Triforce
BRoomer
NNID
DudeMcPersonMan
3DS FC
1865-1222-7961
Lasers fire so quickly that they can potentially be used to keep Fox's other moves from going stale, since the game only keeps track of the last 10 moves that hit. Suppose that's something.

Last edited:

Flynch

Smash Cadet
I honestly think the answer to this is simple.

In my opinion the only real benefit of lasers is preventing stale moves. Fox is a monster, if you aren't approaching the opponent you're giving them too much time to think. With fox's amazing variety of moves and approaches you need to focus on constant aggression and pressure. A good player would most likely ignore lasers to execute an approach against you.

Any percent is good percent but if someone starts reading lasers they're barely taking damage and not being punished. If you don't give them time to breathe they never know what's coming next. Fox's uair, fsmash, usmash, and bair are all reliable kill moves. These moves are threats that come out fast and from nearly any direction. Not to mention his seemingly infinite options for relentlessly building up damage: dair, utilt, fair, grabs, ftilt, illusion, etc.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Custom 3 Laser is pretty amazing if you need a KO option, albeit a bit predictable.

On the other had, default lasers are pretty good for forcing approaches and piling on damage on offstage opponents. Use them if your opponent starts running away: Fox is special in the way that he can go in and rush down, but he can also sit back and force the opponent to approach him.

Last edited:

Karaoke Man

Smash Apprentice
If I'm not mistaken, repeated use of the lasers, refreshes his moves. Naturally, after using a move so many times, it starts to go stale, but after using any different move about....10 times or so, that move gets rebooted to full power. Since Fox fires lasers so rapidly, stale moves practically never seem to be a problem for him. This was the case in Brawl, I'm not terribly sure if this still applies in Smash 4, but if it does...

Here ya go :)

G-Sword

Smash Journeyman
to be a great fox player use the freakin laser. been playing ton of matches offline and any chance you get where u got enough space to freely shoot DO IT.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
If you are at kill percent and your opponent is at low/no percent, and they are a slower character then you, then why take unnecessary risks by going in close? just run away and laser.
This MIGHT take some pressure off them by giving them a breather, but its much more likely that it will add more pressure to them as they have to chase you while they slowly get further and further behind and they'll start getting frustrated, rushing, and making mistakes that you can quickly go punish and then go back to laser camping again. The fact that fox can quickly swap between rush down and keep away is one of his greatest strengths and should not be ignored. Lasers got a decent nerf but they are still good.

G-Sword

Smash Journeyman
The fact that fox can quickly swap between rush down and keep away is one of his greatest strengths and should not be ignored.
that's pretty much how you play fox correctly... You gotta know when and who you are facing to either play aggressive all game, play keep away, or mix it up and do both. Yeah fox is a monster but you don't wanna get carried away with it too much. You gotta know when to turn the monster on and off during a match. Since fox is light. Lasers help out a lot with engaging and disengaging. I changed up my play stylestyle just this week and been getting much better results. Lasers are one of his best tools in the game

Last edited:

Omega_Knight

Smash Cadet
Lasers are not only great for racking up damage and refreshing moves. It messes with people's heads if used at the right times. Proper spacing with lasers forces your opponent to rush in to avoid their percentage going up. After getting a hit sometimes I mix up chasing a combo with just lasers for safe percents and it messes their game up. They start thinking they HAVE to approach and you can really snowball a match just from mind games alone. Almost any throw off-stage can be chained with safe lasers.

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
Uses:

1. Very quick short bursts of two or three when opponent is max distance.
2. Pressure approaches.
3. Mess with Link spammers in For Glory since they outrange his boomerang and are quick enough to end to get into a shine for a full charge arrow.

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
Think everyone has touched on this well. They aren't completely useless purely because there are times in SSB4 where you will get chances to just fire off a burst, use them against a camper, or just use them against approaches etc..

Its not a go to move, but its there to be used and has its place.

Top Bottom