• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are f-smashes overpowered this patch?

Are f-smashes op?

• Yes.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • No.

Votes: 106 94.6%

• Total voters

Bakagabby

Smash Rookie
I have a friend who very frequently complains about how the game is not properly competitive. His most recent and persistent complaint is that the game has turned into spamming f smashes, in particular with Mario and Ryu. This, in his opinion is absolute and makes the game complete garbage, competitively at least. What are your opinions on f smashes in the current patch? How have they changed in regards to the shield changes? Do you think they're overpowered and/or need nerfing?

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
What.
We are talking about high level gameplay here, right? Because spam F-smashes with literally any character and you'll get read and punished hard.
(Yes, even Mario)

Brug4L

Smash Rookie
I voted no but it is a bias answer. I main Luigi. With the added shield stun and luigis traction, fmashes seems harder to punish in this patch.

Last edited:

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
It seems that after the Shieldstun changes a lot of character's forward smashes became more safe on shield.

This is evident in Little Mac's forward smash. But no, I don't think forward smashes are overpowered.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
No.

Name one (decent) competitive player that spams f-smashes and gets good, consistent results.

They're safer on shield for sure, but that doesn't make them overpowered or even a very good exploit. Not everybody is Little Mac.

This isn't directed at you, by the way. Just something you might want to say to your friend next him he tries giving you lip~ ;3

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
No.

Name one (decent) competitive player that spams f-smashes and gets good, consistent results.

They're safer on shield for sure, but that doesn't make them overpowered or even a very good exploit. Not everybody is Little Mac.

This isn't directed at you, by the way. Just something you might want to say to your friend next him he tries giving you lip~ ;3
Abadongo playing Meta Knight :yeahboi:

Raijinken

Smash Master
People beg for the game to get more aggro.

We make things safer with aggro play, and reduce the penalty gap between the Have and the Have Not.

And then people complain? Hah.

But really. You can now use an Fsmash, outside of a read, setup, etc, and your opponent can shield it without you dying for it. However, as mentioned, spamming it will still get you rekt.

Engine changes like this are a cool way to rebalance characters without direct contact, and I'm personally very excited to see how it plays out in the longer run.

Bakagabby

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the input guys. My friend has the tendency of becoming very salty while playing, but he's not at all a bad player. He's placed at tournies a couple of times so I'm not going to dismiss everything he says offhand. I specifically came to the forum because he had mentioned people on here complaining about f smashes too. I honestly haven't found a whole lot of that, though.

piikaa

Smash Rookie
NNID
pikajamz
lmao why would anyone complain about this? who says something as easily punishable as forward smash spam is OP??
whoever complains about smash attacks needs help lmao

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
No.

Abadango with Metaknight. But MK is a special case.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I cannot think of a single fsmash in the game that can be effectively spammed without consequence.

Meta Knight is close, as is Rosalina if she sends Luma out to do her dirty work. But neither are airtight, I'm pretty sure.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
All Fsmashes are countered by SH aerials (unless they can be angled or have a Ike sweeping motion) because of the horizontal hitboxes

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
Guys this is serious business! I always die early to :4myfriends::4feroy:F-smashes! I don't know what the L or R button does but I can assure you I'm a top competitive player in my area.

piikaa

Smash Rookie
NNID
pikajamz
to be fair ive died at 41% to an uncharged roy fsmash mid stage so idk what ur talking about (this literally isnt a joke)

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
to be fair ive died at 41% to an uncharged roy fsmash mid stage so idk what ur talking about (this literally isnt a joke)
DI is your best friend.
Roy's F-smash is stupid strong though so idk if that's even possible

Last edited:

piikaa

Smash Rookie
NNID
pikajamz
yep, i lost the game because my early lead was cut short

r.i.p. fox, he returned to base

sleepy_Nex

Smash Journeyman
Which fsmash is stronger? Marth with tipper or Sweetspot Roy fsmash?
Wintropy Wintropy Lil mac fsmash is not safe on shield.

I personally think that there are a bunch of smashes that could use some more frames but there aren't really op fsmashes.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Of course Smash attacks are too powerful. I die more to them than tilts and jabs.

Kind of funny that Sheik has uniformly terrible smash attacks and happens to be the best character in 1v1.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
I would say :4feroy:F-smash sweet-spotted. Roy in general has overall more kill power than :4marth:and the tipper hitlag gives the opponent more time to DI compared to Roy.
Marth's tipper Fsmash has a higher bkb/kbg than Roy's sweetspot Fsmash, for what it's worth (80/80 vs 70/70).

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Kind of funny that Sheik has uniformly terrible smash attacks and happens to be the best character in 1v1.
Quick attacks that are extremely safe, dynamic recovery, a multitude of combos, needles, Bouncing Fish... it all kind of makes up for it.

This is coming from a Sheik main, but I don't think I am being too biased.

Last edited:

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
Marth's tipper Fsmash has a higher bkb/kbg than Roy's sweetspot Fsmash, for what it's worth (80/80 vs 70/70).
Really? I feel like I've been able to DI and survive more tippered F-smashes than Roy F-smashes by far but thanks for the confirmation.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Roy's Fsmash sweetspot deals 20%, Marth's tipper Fsmash deals 18%. Damage factors into knockback growth. That difference in damage should make up for the knockback discrepancy - ultimately working out in Roy's favor as the opponent reaches higher damage percentages. Before then, KO potential is probably equal.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Roy's Fsmash sweetspot deals 20%, Marth's tipper Fsmash deals 18%. Damage factors into knockback growth. That difference in damage should make up for the knockback discrepancy - ultimately working out in Roy's favor as the opponent reaches higher damage percentages. Before then, KO potential is probably equal.
I've killed R.O.B at around 40% uncharched without rage near the edge of the stage.

That being said, no. Smashes are not overpowered. They are largely committal.

Truth35777

Smash Sap
So if I do play Little Mac, I can spam Forward Smash and win?
:nifty:

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
The f-smash thing was a joke. Probably could have made it clearer, but I was exaggerating for the sake of comic effect.

Truth35777

Smash Sap
The f-smash thing was a joke. Probably could have made it clearer, but I was exaggerating for the sake of comic effect.
To be fair to your case, Little Mac Forward Smash spam sometimes is a viable strategy in FG-
:applejack:

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
This is the most bizarre thread title I've read on Smash boards.
Because it's very rare anytime can get a f-smash ... any day of the week.

...unless I'm Zelda on FG, but that's another story....

Last edited:

Fluorescent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NeoRashi
3DS FC
2122-7596-1415
I just hope I don't whiff that second part of Toon Link's F-Smash next time!.

I said no, trying my best to not be bias but if you can punish a F-Smash doesn't that reduce some of the factor of it being OP?

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
One smash I would call OP is Little Mac's. Dat super armor...

MARTH_IS_BAE

Smash Cadet
Marty's fsmash is way way way too strong in this game. Totally horribly designed character and kind of unbalances the character if we are being honest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom