• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Archetypes you want to see in Smash

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
In this thread, I'd like to discuss which new archetypes, gimmicks, or simply new ideas you'd like to see in Smash. Keep in mind that this doesn't have to be liked to a specific character, in fact, the ones I'll choose would just be for me to better explain my quick concepts, rather a more general idea. Let me show a few examples of archetypes I'd love to see added.

1) Lance/pole weapon user
Lances have been the most used weapons in human history: it's unacceptable that we haven't had a lance user in Smash already. Seeing Byleth using Areadbhar in some moves in Smash made me want to see a lance user even more. A polearm would allow for distant pokes that can be lackluster in frame data and damage but amazing in the range department, as well as a bunch of unique animations and moves for normals and aerials. Obvious choices would be Dimitri, Impa, Ephraim, or Bandana Dee, although I fear the latter would be just too "bouncy" to be a faithful lance user.

2) Knight/Rider
This archetype can go arm in arm with the previous one, as there are plentiful of knights that can use a lance too. We kinda have Bowser Jr. as a rider, but I want them to ride an actual vehicle or even a horse. They could be a fast, heavyweight character with a massive hurt-box. The horse/vehicle could be even used in some of the attacks too. Some choices could be Mach Rider, Eliwood (he'd use a sword instead of a lance, but he'd be great too), or Queen (on Johanna) from Persona 5.

3) Pseudo-wavedash user
Hear me out for this one: wavedash in Melee was so great because it allowed EVERY character to perform their normals even while moving. I think that a character than can manipulate the stage or its movement options, say, by creating an ice trail or by using, I don't know, rollerblades could use their normals while sliding a bit. In return, they'd be weaker than most characters, struggling with damage dealing or KOs. They would retain the ability to turn around easily even on ice, but after releasing the control stick they'd slide forward just a bit. Some characters I could see belonging to this archetype are Piplup and Lucìo from Overwatch.

4) Ice (traps) user
Rounding up my first concepts, I've always wanted to see an ice bender in Smash. I think that would fit them to use ice to slow down opponents and even freeze them when they have reached high enough damage. I think that it would be neat to have them using ice traps: step on them and BANG: you're slowed down, or even frozen solid! They'd be a less direct Snake, where they trade direct damage for temporary debuffs to the opponents. I honestly have no idea on who would fit a concept like this, take a generic Ice-type Pokémon as an example (I think of Abomasnow because it looks cool [pun intended]).

What about you? I'd love to see your ideas and how would you expand (or limit) my concepts. Which characters would you think would fit my concepts? Would they fun to play, in your opinion?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
In this thread, I'd like to discuss which new archetypes, gimmicks, or simply new ideas you'd like to see in Smash. Keep in mind that this doesn't have to be liked to a specific character, in fact, the ones I'll choose would just be for me to better explain my quick concepts, rather a more general idea. Let me show a few examples of archetypes I'd love to see added.

1) Lance/pole weapon user
Lances have been the most used weapons in human history: it's unacceptable that we haven't had a lance user in Smash already. Seeing Byleth using Areadbhar in some moves in Smash made me want to see a lance user even more. A polearm would allow for distant pokes that can be lackluster in frame data and damage but amazing in the range department, as well as a bunch of unique animations and moves for normals and aerials. Obvious choices would be Dimitri, Impa, Ephraim, or Bandana Dee, although I fear the latter would be just too "bouncy" to be a faithful lance user.

2) Knight/Rider
This archetype can go arm in arm with the previous one, as there are plentiful of knights that can use a lance too. We kinda have Bowser Jr. as a rider, but I want them to ride an actual vehicle or even a horse. They could be a fast, heavyweight character with a massive hurt-box. The horse/vehicle could be even used in some of the attacks too. Some choices could be Mach Rider, Eliwood (he'd use a sword instead of a lance, but he'd be great too), or Queen (on Johanna) from Persona 5.
Two characters I was thinking of for these two archetypes are :azura: from Fire Emblem Fates and Caeda from Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon.

Top Bottom