• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Approaching with Yoshi

Ind15

Smash Rookie
Hey, everybody.

So I've recruited Yoshi as one of my mains and am performing pretty decent with him so far. Although I have one big problem: approaching. I can deal with opponents when they come charging at me, but when they sit back and launch projectile or charge an attack (I'm looking at you, Robin), I can never seem to approach them right. I always end up doing some half-baked aerials to try to get some damage off with really no strategy. But, as you can probably tell, it usually doesn't worked and more than often I get grabbed. Can I get some tips from some Yoshi pros?

Thanks in advanced!

Icebound

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1650-2557-8575
I'm not a pro by any means but egg toss and aerials are good approach options. Dash attack can work too.

-short hop egg toss can stop opponents from charging up moves.
-Nair has excellent priority. Short hop rising Nair is always a reliable way to approach with pressure
-If the opponent is roll spamming, short hop backwards diaganol Dair reading their roll can punish them with up to 32% in one attack
-Short hop Fair into them works but is most prone to shield grab
-Short hop Dair is difficult to shield grab in general because most players don't hold shield long enough for all the flutter kicks.
-jumping and then egg lay is a nice option against people shielding often

Egg toss forces them to think twice about throwing out projectiles with end lag because they will have to shield the eggs or jump. By the time they've already committed to one of those actions you can be hustling over for new pressure.

Last edited:

555mars

Smash Rookie
If your opponent is airborne a lot, try and catch them with eggs. This can lead to either an Uair or an Nair depending on position.
Short hopped Dairs are difficult to grab and get in a lot of percentage on exposed opponents.
If your opponent is playing defensively, throw a bunch of eggs. You should be able to follow up on these.
If you can read your opponent with Dash Attack -> Nair or Egg Toss then you should go with that, as it's a good combo.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
We have a question thread so you don't have to put up new threads like this. Since its here already though:

• Walk/Run up shield is universal
  • SH fair isn't all that safe in general but is pretty safe on shield when spaced perfectly, you can usually bait them trying to shield grabbing you and getting a free dashattack
  • SH eggtoss against slower characters are our best approach in general usually
  • B reversed egglays beat people who like to shield a lot
  • Dash attack for people who roll
  • SH dair should be saved for mixups when you know that they will either shield or spot dodge. It'll always beat the spot dodge and sometimes it will beat shields.
  • ETS is kinda safe depending on who you're playing against
thats all i got.

Chacrecon

Smash Rookie
NNID
Maxdonalds
3DS FC
0216-1312-1187
I had this same problem against many a toon link and robin. I usually go with short hop over the opponent with air dodge to avoid an up tilt/smash and then a Bair, But there's alot more safer options than that.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Play gay, do fake approachs, power shield his projectiles and punish his tries to punish your fake approaches

Last edited:

Ind15

Smash Rookie
So I've taken your guys' advice and egg lay seems to be working out for me. Combined with nair and dair (and sometimes fair), I've racked up a good amount of approach options. However, and this may be a silly question, but what should I do after I trap them in an egg and what's the ideal percentage for the egg lay? I can move this to the questions thread if you wish

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
It really depends on the %. If they're high enough, egg=>dair is the highest damage combo I know of, but I haven't spent a great deal of time figuring out how to maximize damage.

At low %s, upsmash is a good, reliable bet. If you find that you can't challenge your opponent out of egg-lay, it's safest to just throw eggs at him.

Just make sure you don't stale your kill-moves at high %s.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Egg lay to aerial down B works too. You can try to time it for the Ko if they always mash out immediately. If they didnt mash out youll still hit them while they are in egg for damage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom