• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

approaching with DK

crifer

Smash Lord
So since yesterday I have brawl (i know **** late, pal version)....
in melee i always approached with bair,
but now im asking myself is ftilt maybe better than bair?
Discuss!

The Director

Smash Lord
bair is pretty good but overall his tilts are beast. If I had to choose a common aerial approach, I'd choose his neutral. The only problem with that is that 40% of the time I try to approach with the neutral I end up doing fair.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I have a thought provoking question for you DK mains. How do you get past lasers and bacon without incurring 3rd degree burns?

For the record I do main G&W, and every DK I play against, I really screw them up every time once I start using Chef. It kills all aerial approaches, and any ground approaches risk getting hit by the burning pan itself, not to mention getting hit by each piece of bacon does like a total of over whut, 20% or something.

crifer

Smash Lord
bair is pretty good but overall his tilts are beast. If I had to choose a common aerial approach, I'd choose his neutral. The only problem with that is that 40% of the time I try to approach with the neutral I end up doing fair.
nair? when u have to do a qucik atack its ok, but bair has much more reach + priority, or?
yesterday i played against a really good luigi and when i tried to approach with bair he just rolled, if i ftilt him and he rolled, i could easily punish him with dsmash or a jab....

Samuelson

Smash Lord
I try to mix it up with Ftilt, Bair or even sometimes Dash Attack. It's always better to mix your approaches up so your opponent doesn't predict what you're going to do next. Sometimes just using a SHAD is the best approach IMO.

The Director

Smash Lord
nair? when u have to do a qucik atack its ok, but bair has much more reach + priority, or?
There's no question that his back air is beast, but its nowhere near as spammable as it was in Melee. I wouldn't use it as an approach every time, is what I'm saying.

Randicus

Smash Rookie
I have a thought provoking question for you DK mains. How do you get past lasers and bacon without incurring 3rd degree burns?

For the record I do main G&W, and every DK I play against, I really screw them up every time once I start using Chef. It kills all aerial approaches, and any ground approaches risk getting hit by the burning pan itself, not to mention getting hit by each piece of bacon does like a total of over whut, 20% or something.
Generally bair is great against laser spamming as its SO fast and powerful, but against the few G&Ws I've played, his downb ground pound can beat the chef if DK can get past the initial starup frames or is far enough away. His downb has ridiculous range and wrecks any ground based attack whatso ever. Actually its my favorite move in all of Smash!

bobson

Smash Lord
Well-spaced handslaps and maybe an ftilt here or there if there's a chance to punish the Chef lag seem like the best options to me.

ook

Smash Lord
Up-b on the ground is really good for approaching. It has super armor at the start so you can't get hit out of it, it lasts a long time (and hits all around you, so it hits people who roll/spotdodge, and it eats shields if they try to block), and it can do like 37% if you hit them with the whole thing.

It's pretty much DK's version of mach tornado, except it's ok to spam, because it's DK and nobody knows about it!

Cornwad

Smash Rookie

I'm pretty sure DK's down b can out range the bacon without taking too much damage...

I find tilts to be good for approaching, with some nairs or bairs mixed in.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
If I'm playing a G&W and they try to chef I just walk away and charge a punch. Same goes for Charizard and Bowsers flames. Remember you don't always have to approach, mixing it up is a good idea.

crifer

Smash Lord
yesterday i found some good ways to approach,
now I sometimes just run to the oppenent,
and use downB, it works the most of the time...
bair to approach a enemy in the air,
is sh double bair really that good? idk....
ftilt and dtilt ****!

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Short hop double bair *****. Just make sure you space so you don't get shield grabbed. And if you're approaching with downB don't run because then you have to stop to use it, just walk instead.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
If I'm playing a G&W and they try to chef I just walk away and charge a punch. Same goes for Charizard and Bowsers flames. Remember you don't always have to approach, mixing it up is a good idea.
Best idea yet. I was afraid the DK matchup was getting too easy. =P

I don't usually Chef when DK is on the ground, instead I usually B-air and hope to stab his shield. I usually get Ground Pounded for whiffing a different ground attack honestly.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Lol, I've been using DK lately, and I'm having the opposite problem. He's got soooo many good approaching options that I'm having trouble choosing. I'll name everything I can think of:

bair>bair>ftilt
bair>land behind>grab
bair>land behind>groundpound
bair>headbutt
running upb
grab
ftilt
groundpound

So many choices. I don't know where to use what!

The Director

Smash Lord
Spinning kong is a great approach, but remember it affects different characters in different ways. Most just get sucked in. All get punished.

Wrexsoul

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wrexsoul
And if you're approaching with downB don't run because then you have to stop to use it, just walk instead.
It's actually possible to perform a down-b straight from a run if you slide the control stick downwards and press b simultaneously. Got to be quick tho since if he enters stopping-animation you have to wait until it's over to do the move.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
It's actually possible to perform a down-b straight from a run if you slide the control stick downwards and press b simultaneously. Got to be quick tho since if he enters stopping-animation you have to wait until it's over to do the move.
Wow thanks I'll have to try this out. This should help my approaches with DK even more.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Wow Ragnar0k, we use the same characters.

Top Bottom