• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Approaching R.O.B.?

_gold_

Smash Master
I was demolished by this one guy I was playing earlier. He was playing as R.O.B., and I couldn't even come close to him with his laser and spinning top thing. It was embarrassing really. Any tips on approaching R.O.B. characters?

version15

Smash Rookie
I've had trouble with good ROBs too. I usually try to lame them out, but his zoning beats me out.

David Viran

Smash Lord
Remember robs projectiles aren't too spammable because he can't throw a second gyro if the first one is still out. After he uses his laser he has to wait before using it again.

LordFluffy

Smash Apprentice
Work around the lame game. do some fake aerial approaches to try and bait out his lame stuff. jump, as you approach the ground jump again trying to bait a move. if he doesn't, try down B afterwords. baiting out rob's lazor and spin top is essential and since his air projectile game isn't the strongest, using the air to get around it is opitmal.
never however try and come from above directly at him unless punishing, like most characters Zero suit is better suited (lol) to a more grounded approach style, so if you can bait out both his zoning tools, approaching him becomes much easier. if the ROB is entirely focused on lame game, once those two are down, chances are a roll is comming once you approach. read it and punish with a grab or side B/Smash. etc

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
His laser and gyro are pretty easy to react to and shield. So just walk forward and sheild his projectiles to cover the ground. At mid-range throwing out short hop Zairs is a great zoning option. Short hop fast fall Nair is great shield pressure and zoning at closer range. It could be used to punish his rolls towards you if timed right, and it can be used to block his gyro. At this point he will probably play defensively, pivot grabs or dsmash to punish his spot dodge, dash attack/dash grab if he rolls away. if he rolls towards you then fake approach, run back and pivot grab/pivot ftilt. At least thats what I do, alot of other mixups are good, you just want to get close to him because ZSS is way better than ROB at CQC.

Top Bottom