• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Approaching Marth/Lucas

iggyboy456

Smash Rookie
So, to be frank here, I'm having a lot of trouble approaching opponents during the neutral game. Especially against Marth and Lucas. Marth just keeps me at bay with his range, and I just in general am not good against Lucas at all. Any tips for approaching these two, or approaches in general?

Cloudburst

Smash Cadet
The matchup against Marth is in his favor; approaching is made difficult because swords. IIRC bubble's range is just a tiny bit longer than Marth's sword, so if you play incredibly patient then you can get in that way. Once you have successfully approached, just try to improve your punish game to the piont where if you get in once you can take his stock.

I don't have a ton of experience against Lucas, but avoid his side-b because I think it can lead into his DACUS.

Common approaches as Squirtle:
SS shorthop bubble/dair/nair
SJ nair

Make sure that you SHFFL all of these, the tiniest bit of speed helps.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
marth has nothing to outrange watergun
please use watergun
watergun
is
best
move

against Lucas
use
water
gun
it will clash with pk freeze and stop his aerial approaches

you may be thinking "this d00d thinks watergun is the answer to everything"
yes, it is.
except for Fox's Nair. I don't really know why but he just kick the water in the air and then hits squirtle. sad times

iggyboy456

Smash Rookie
marth has nothing to outrange watergun
please use watergun
watergun
is
best
move

against Lucas
use
water
gun
it will clash with pk freeze and stop his aerial approaches

you may be thinking "this d00d thinks watergun is the answer to everything"
yes, it is.
except for Fox's Nair. I don't really know why but he just kick the water in the air and then hits squirtle. sad times
I'll be sure to utilize the move more, now that I think about it, I don't use water gun much at all. Thanks for the tip!

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
A surprisingly fantastic approach I've found is to slingjump over an opponent, then withdraw into their backs. Works against players good and bad, and when they start trying to counter it there are a number of options you can use to exploit their strategy, such as b-reversal watergun, just short hop slingjump b-turnaround bubble them instead of going behind them, DCing back and wavelanding in front of them into a grab.

~Dad~

part time gay dad
A surprisingly fantastic approach I've found is to slingjump over an opponent, then withdraw into their backs. Works against players good and bad, and when they start trying to counter it there are a number of options you can use to exploit their strategy, such as b-reversal watergun, just short hop slingjump b-turnaround bubble them instead of going behind them, DCing back and wavelanding in front of them into a grab.

A decent Marth can and will swat your turtle butt out of the air. Don't overuse this approach.

Last edited:

~Dad~

part time gay dad
I've definitely tried it, it does work as a mixup, but you have to be very careful flinging yourself at Marth because he's basically got a flyswatter.

It tends to work though simply because a lot of people are bad at this game.

Top Bottom