• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Approach discussion

Karttibone

Smash Cadet
Generally I don't have much problems with approaching, because of his floatiness.

The sliding SD works best for me, so far. But I often also use the tornado, because the opponent underestimates the speed of it.

What do you use for approach? And am I overlooking something? Tips for approaching?

Knubs.

ナブ Paquito.
I at times tend to use his fireballs to get close to them.
I Short Jump and press NB and when I'm near the Ground I to it again.
It kinda makes a good wall while it lasts to get close and kinda paralyze the opponent to get more of an accurate hit.

Or I Just Jump wildly in the air and use B air lulz.
At times I use tornado as well.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
First off, luigi's approachs have to be creative. Why? Because his approach game high revolves around SHs >.> which means predictablity.

But anyways go for sh approachs, like SH Dair > Nair, and mix it up alot. Or go for fireball approach which i do alot.

Pompi

Smash Journeyman
yeah , nado a lot and do sh nairs , you cant go wrong with nair man , the ol fair + nair( it gets predicatable) , dair+nair , reverse uair+nair , and there is always bair to do a semi-safe approach since ppl dont expect it and allows lots of spacing room while still having good range.

WIGI

Smash Champion
no. not side b. i only use side b as an "aproach if im on fd , im ahead in stock and percent, and they don't hvae projectiles. it kills time. they have to be smart to get around it.

and revruse up air->nair? vids please i want to learn

Delvro

Smash Ace
For shield grab happy people, I've learned to condition them to SH approaches, spaced Bairs, and such... then I fake a fireball approach and simply running grab them. Sounds risky, but it works often, and really helps in those sticky situations where they just won't budge.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
^^^ Yeah, Luigi's running grab is better than it seems.
For general approaching I SH to aerials and b-down. Because they are fast and aggressive. For harder match-ups I approach with real/fake fireballs, play mind games

Karttibone

Smash Cadet
Side+B

/end topic
Yeah , WIGI is right you shouldn't use them for approach. I use side B mostly to space and to recover. I can't find any other uses for it.

So most people are saying sh fireballs or air attack. I gotta learn the uair+nair, seems pretty neat. And working on fireball walls is a good strategy too.

Eten

Smash Ace
Compare and contrast realz quick other chars
-camp guyz- they have **** for approach but the just camp forever and punish your approach- like D3(SHIELDGRAB) and Zelda
-Speed guyz- they just move in on your laggy attacks somewhere because they can move so fast they can get there
-Mario-like stuff- can approach/camp move with fireballs cause they're such an awesome projectile

Luigi doesn't have these. Luigi has instead priority(on everything but aerial disjointed hitboxes) and variety.
So on variety
Short hop double aerial:
MIX IT UP
Always doing Dair->Nair is very easy to counter as it becomes predictable. However you can do Fair to Fair, Dair to Dair, Fair to Dair or Fair to Nair and each one has a different timing on hitbox duration and spacing. And you can choose to fastfall the Nairs or not.

Try things like SHDA, Fair->Nair DI away on the nair and into a AAA jab

Then add on to this with
Any Aerial->Tornado
Any Aerial->Fastfall airdodge buffered attack(I was reluctant on the usefulness of this but going from Bair->FFAD sliding Dsmash is very effective)

Then we're back on the ground
walk to sliding Dsmash
walk to turn around sliding Upsmash(heh)
or dash to sliding upsmash
walk to sliding Fsmash
Or just simply tornado from the ground. Fireball->tornado can be unexpected and shouldn't be forgotten about.

Fireball in between everything else. Also Delvro's advice is very good. Keeping a high amount of variety is key!

Pompi

Smash Journeyman
well wigi its hard yo show vids since i rarely record my replays and I its even rarer for me to record my matches , but youre a smart guy i figured you can do it too. btw today i was thinking , well if jab+shoryuken is almost safe but slightly escapable, if we jab(canceled)+uangled fmash wouldnt it be better?

Eten

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure that Fsmash takes more frames to come out than the Shoryuken. Like 6 vs. 12.

I think if there were ways to combo into Fsmash's at KO %, luigi would be god tier.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
I think if there were ways to combo into Fsmash's at KO %, luigi would be god tier.
Dtilt (NO trip) -> Up angled Fsmash I almost want to say is a legitimate combo at ~65%

The Dtilt has pretty rockin hitstun when it doesn't trip but rather knocks them a small ways up in the air, about right above Luigi's head. If you immediately go for the Fsmash... well it *****. Very hard to do and horribly situational though.

Bobbery

Smash Apprentice
Dtilt (NO trip) -> Up angled Fsmash I almost want to say is a legitimate combo at ~65%
Sounds good, but Dtilt is hard to pull off for me anyway :(

One approach I like is shorthop fairs to scare them and either grab or ftilt. Along with what hippiedude said, always keep them guessing on your approach, you have a good amount of options.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
You should practice pulling off d-tilt because it is a very useful combo setup. It may take a little getting used to but definitely use it. If your get a trip with it, it is a KO because one UpB and he is dead.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
My general philosophy (which works ok) is get into fireball range, and then read them. Running usually works just fine here.

I'm basically on a sh->dair->ffad autopilot, so I'll be doing that instead of standing, it serves essentially the same purpose (not what you've seen of me in terrible videos, but the truth). I like to just hang out and spam dairs, and toss out fireballs while just inside fireball range, and see what they do about it. Once they've decided not to sit and wait for me, I generally either go in for an aerial assault or buffer something out of an airdodge. It works decently well on fairly good opponents.

Side note, very slightly related. I found out recently just how good (or not) my general competition is. Went to a tourny in state, OS showed up and beat us all somewhat convincingly, but the best of my crew (lol crew), took him to the third game in sets pretty reliably. Made me feel good anyway, at least I know beating them means something.

Delvro

Smash Ace
Are you talking about the Oneness tournament in Lexington crash? That was tons of fun... we're having another one in a week.

btw, OS was the ONLY metaknight player there... go back to ROB! -_-

On topic, I've started trying to fair projectiles to approach, but it's not working well. Is it a good tactic?

Top Bottom