• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Application of Dancing Blade

Gutei

Smash Cadet
Hi all, new guy posting, old lurker, longtime Smasher (of all games).

Getting back into Melee after probably a one year hiatus and not too much probably since going to college three years ago. Marth was always my favorite (other than the obligatory Link since I'm a Zelda guy), so I decided to stick with him as my main. I've played him in Brawl and Sm4sh, but he's easily at his most volatile in Melee... But I feel like when I play him in Brawl/Sm4sh, due to the floatiness, I have more approach options with mixing up his aerials and dancing blade.

That doesn't seems to work as well in this one. What do you think? Just leave it out; it's only good for styling? Try using it in the air for approaches and mind games?

If you could let me know your thoughts; I'd greatly appreciate it.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Marth's side-B has a few uses, though aside from aiding his recovery (which is what you'll use it for 90% of the time) it's pretty situational.

The first and probably best use is PPMD's first hit of side-B to up tilt combo on floaties; it's not a true combo but it will hit if they miss the DI.

If you're trying to juggle someone, miss your spacing, and they're right behind Marth, I would argue that the first hit of side-B to fair is probably better than a non-tippered bair, although I don't think it'll lead into anything further if they have decent DI.

Sometimes first hit of side-B into dair or up-B can work situationally, but again, it relies on bad DI.

The first three hits of side-B can get a surprise kill at around 80% on fastfallers. The third hit of the down variation can spike, but that's purely for styling.

I think you can use it in place of jab to try edgeguarding a high illusion, but I haven't tried it and I'm uncertain if there's any benefit to doing so.

Finally, if you side-B a spacie in the middle of his up-B, I think you can just continue using the first hit to drag him down towards the bottom blastzone and then recover. I've only actually seen it once or twice and I'm unsure of whether it's legitimate or if they can get out of it, but I think it could be something to try if the only other thing you could hit is tipper Fair.

AirFair

Marth tho
The PP punish is pretty good lol. If you are trying to ken combo a spacie but they are a just above you, you can side b, jump and dair.

I believe side b to dair works better on floaties ( the only one I've seen it on is peach )

Gutei

Smash Cadet
If you are trying to ken combo a spacie but they are a just above you, you can side b, jump and dair
Never thought of the first one, since it has the ability to transition like that. Looks like something else to practice.

Steelo Rivers

Smash Cadet
I love playing vs floaties with Marth. Holy ****. I know people think puff and peach are lame, but when you come with that extra lame spacing with marth, it can't really be dealt with by their gimmicks.

I use side b as a grab reset. like FThrow at a low percent to side b. if they don't tech, they get popped up for a grab with no way to react. they can't jump out of it and if they manage to, you can just uptilt and uair juggle fa days. it works on everyone of every weight class. Really good at damn near all %s vs floaties though. Oh and falcons that only approach by dashing and grabbing or throwing nairs.

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
Side-B has transcendent priority, and instantly stops your movement. This makes it easy to space it pretty much perfectly, and it means it can beat moves that actually have higher priority by outranging them (this would not work with a normal priority move with more range if the hitboxes collided).
First 3 hits (neutral) can KO, first hit is fast and can interrupt movement, or lead to combos others have mentioned, and continuing to the third hit downward can force a tech-chase, and lead to uptilt into shenanigans on missed tech (or tech in place), or even reverse dolphin. If they're too high to be hit by the second neutral hit, the second air hit will likely connect and send them airborne.
Because it stops you instantly even out of full run, it's relatively easy to combo into/set up for it out of another move (like fair).

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
A lot of really good suggestions have already be made, but I have a few more for you.

1) Third hit down. If you're going up against somebody and you're pretty sure you know how to time what they're doing, the third hit downwards can WRECK combos. I've used it against countless Fox's and Falco's and been able to follow it up with whatever I feel like because it puts such a perfect stop to all momentum. Helps a lot for working on taking back stage control, too.
2) Fourth hit up. If your opponent is above you (works especially well if they're right about to land on one of the lower platforms in Dreamland 64), space your 4th hit up properly. Marth jumps a little bit when he uses that, and it makes it super dangerous to unsuspecting opponents. Follow it up with a full hop onto the platform and a double jump fair or uair (if you wanna use Stairway to Heaven or a dair to kill, it's your choice), and you're pretty good.
3) Fourth hit down. The way it works is really odd, so a lot of people won't be able to predict how you're using it, but it can stop people from approaching you on the ground, and forces them behind you if you hit them properly. Sounds disadvantageous, but you can quickly turn around and grab or wavedash away. If they're really thrown off, use the c-stick to fsmash them real quick, or just short hop bair them. Just know your options, and you'll go far (or they will :joyful:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom