• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone Near Mt. Vernon, OH?

Xykness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XYKman
I have been searching for a while and I cannot seem to find anyone who plays smash closer than Columbus. Is anyone out there? I have been playing Melee for years competitively back when I lived in Maryland and I really want to get into Project M, but I need people to practice with or that will never get achieved. Near the area? PLEASE contact! I miss smash.

Edit (2015): Still in Mt. Vernon area if people are still searching! We currently have a few players.

Last edited:

Xykness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XYKman
Yeah, I go to school at the Naz. I play primarily PM, but also Melee and Smash 4. Up for some friendlies sometime? I also can provide carpooling for Columbus events if you're ever interested.

Leon Rios

Smash Cadet
NNID
LeonRios
Absolutely, man. I'm always down to play some Smash and I actually have been interested in Project M for a few weeks. Since I joined the forums actually.

I have a vehicle too, if we decide to go to events we can switch off. I just drove to Toledo for the tournament there so that shows how dedicated I am to Smash. Lmao

Xykness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XYKman
Watcha mean, SoulPech? I'll be sure to let him know all about Columbus Smash, Packrat, and stuff.

Anyways Leon, if you're looking for friendlies, I'll be available on Sunday and there is another player who will play friendlies with us. How close are you to the Naz?

Leon Rios

Smash Cadet
NNID
LeonRios
I live out by Coshocton Avenue in Mount Vernon so not too far...

What is Columbus Smash, Packrat and stuff? It sounds magical. I'm off Sundays so I can join, and the more the merrier!

Xykness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XYKman
It's the Smash Bros. scene for Central Ohio!

Columbus PM & Brawl
https://www.facebook.com/groups/columbuspmbrawl/

Columbus Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U
https://www.facebook.com/groups/columbussmash4/

Our Melee scene isn't really active currently, but both of these groups are always up to something!

We have a Biweekly for Project M (now featuring Smash 4 as well!) on Tuesdays in Hilliard. They start at 8pm and usually end sometime between 11pm and midnight depending on the turnout. If you look at the FB pages, there will be tournament listings on the group descriptions! Some of us travel to Cleveland, Cincinnati, and we have even gone to tournaments in Michigan. The central OH smash community is super friendly and the T.O's are great.

We currently run a Power Ranking for Project M and we just started one for Smash 4! To be eligible for this ranking system, you must attend at least 3 tournaments and fight against others who are eligible. This last PR season, I ranked 7th in Central OH. How that was determined was through a points system. The system is called ELO and you get points by placing well and beating out other people with points (SoulPech and others in the FB group can explain it better). Anyways, if you make the top 10 by the end of the season, you get to be on a cool PR image and we will soon be doing PR videos! PR also helps T.O's with seeding; the higher up on the list you are, the better seeding you get in bracket.

We also have a YouTube channel!
Columbus Smash
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtEk5rMBWsnS8nFRY1dvS9A

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask me or anyone else in the groups!
We strive to help others grow and fall even more in love with the Smash series!
Looking forward to meeting you and we hope you can enjoy some involvement in our community!

Last edited:

Leon Rios

Smash Cadet
NNID
LeonRios
Oh wow. I had no idea Smash had this much of a scene in Columbus. I'm excited! Joined both FB groups.

I wouldn't mind going to the Bi-weekly Smash in Hilliard if you guys wanted to go. We could split gas. Though I think I'll need more experience with Project M considering my knowledge is non-existent.
I'm also cool with going to Cincinnati, Cleveland and beyond... would pitch in for gas if driven and would appreciate gas if I drove.

I'm really interested in the tournament scene so I'll try to attend as many as I can so I can get a Ranking.

Did you want to get together THIS Sunday for a couple of matches? I'm free. Just need to discuss a time/place.

Xykness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XYKman
Sounds great, man! I'll teach you what I know about PM and the guys at Packrat are always up for helping better your game! I'll shoot you a private message with info for Sunday, or even if you wanted to come chill today.

Drummaniac

Smash Rookie
Hey, I'm from Ashland if you guys wanted to get together sometime. I play mostly melee, but I play brawl when I'm at my girlfriend's house for fun. I really don't have anyone to play smash with around here, so it'd be nice to find people to play with and maybe can help me improve my skills and get into the competitive scene.

Xykness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XYKman
Here is what we've got going on currently

Mount Vernon Smashers:
Leon: Smash 4
Lupeie: Smash 4
SBTIX: Project M
R00 (when he's in town): Project M
The Oiler: Project M
Myself (XYK): Project M/Smash 4/Melee

A few of us drive down to Columbus for their biweeklies that host Project M and Smash 4 tournaments. Ohio doesn't have a very active Melee scene currently. I personally still love to play the game though.

Ashland is about an hour away from Mount Vernon, so we could always try and organize a big smashfest or something. I am hoping to run a tournament in the upcoming months that will have Project M, Smash 4, and Melee. Sadly there is not much love for Brawl.

Nice to meet you!

Drummaniac

Smash Rookie
okay, sweet! I'll have to try to start play Project M, since it'll be the easiest for me to transition to, and It'd be great to go check out the Bi-weeklies.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
That's not entirely true, XYK.

NEOH/PGH (Pittsburgh) is pretty active for Melee, Cincinnati/Dayton is pretty active as well and I also believe that Ohio University is still active.

Technically Columbus is moderately active for Melee as well, but they're too lazy to run their own events.

Gmarcott42

Smash Rookie
Hey does anyone still keep an eye on this thread? I go to the naz and would love to play smash competitively again!

Xykness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XYKman
Of course! I graduated from the Naz. Will be up there this Fri in the evening if you would like to meet up. Picking up another player from the Naz to go to a Project M major.

What game do you play?

Xykness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XYKman
Cool I play Melee as well. I'll shoot you a message and we will play some games Fri if you want

Leon Rios

Smash Cadet
NNID
LeonRios
Gmacott42, I live in Mount Vernon. I play all Smash games, but lately I've only been really active in Smash 4. I have a Gamecube with Melee but to be honest I've REALLY lost my edge with that game. I'm afraid I wouldn't be too much of a challenge for a while until I got my groove back, so to speak. That being said, if you'd like to meet up and play a few rounds, let me know!

Top Bottom