• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone Miss The Pokemon Trainer?

Jotari

Smash Journeyman
Do you care that Red's gone or is Charizard enough for you by itself?

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Not the trainer himself, but I do miss Ivysaur. It was my secondary in Brawl.
:ivysaur:

Burruni

Smash Hero
I admit, I miss :squirtle: but not because I really enjoyed playing them, but because of them being my favorite starter line.

I'm glad that the transformation characters were separated because it really helps the game in balancing.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I liked what they were going with the character. He was designed to represent many things for the Pokemon series: The main playable character, the three starter elemental types and their weaknesses, the three evolution phases, the tag team gameplay of Pokemon, etc.

But unfortunately it was ultimately just too obtuse and complicated for SSB. I think, when it comes to Smash, people like to play as certain characters and not particularly care for others. For example, maybe I'd like playing as Squirtle, but not Ivysaur, and PT basically forces you to play as all three of the Pokemon with the stamina mechanic. The Type effectiveness thing was also really stupidly implemented. Again, I understand what its referencing but it just doesn't work in a game like Smash. Tons of characters have fire based attacks, so Ivysaur is a bit screwed here, while almost no one has water or plant based attacks, so it's incredibly pointless for Charizard and Squirtle.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
It was an interesting idea and I don't regret that they did it, but I can't help but feel the time taken to develop three new Pokemon fighters could have been used on more worthwhile characters.

They should've scrapped the stamina idea entirely though, you can stay as Zelda or Sheik for a whole match without punishment, why not Pokemon Trainer?

Dinoman96

Smash Master
They should've scrapped the stamina idea entirely though, you can stay as Zelda or Sheik for a whole match without punishment, why not Pokemon Trainer?
The thing is, the character was supposed to be "Pokemon Trainer", not "Charizard, Ivysaur, and Squirtle". The stamina mechanic was implemented to encourage players to make use of all three Pokemon and work as a team rather than clinging onto say, Charizard the entire round.

Last edited:

Amiiboshiibo

Smash Journeyman
I want him back, but as a fighter instead of some guy who stood in the background. All of his specials and smash attacks would be Pokemon.

Also, I want Squirtle back.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't really miss Pokemon Trainer. His playstyle was a unfortunate failure back in Brawl, although the idea of such a character was cool they're just better off fighting without him ( Project M cough cough )

ErenJager

Smash Champion
The concept is cool, but execution kind of demands that each pokemon should just be its own character.

Its a matter of practicality vs. Novelty.

It would be nice to see some trainers tho even if it was an assist trophy...
Mainly for west.

Last edited:

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
I think the Wii U version should have an update where every poke'mon has a trainer in the background as a purely asthetic detail.

Pikachu-Ash
Jigglypuff-Leaf
Mewtwo-Giovanni
Charizard-Red
Greninja-Serena
Lucario-Cynthia

Pichu-Ethan
Ivysaur-Gary/Rival
Squirtle-Misty

Sakuraichu

Smash Journeyman
Yes. It's sad that horrible characters like Roy have more support than an actual unique character that brought something new to the table.

I miss the other two Pokémon more than the trainer himself. I suppose it was neat seeing all the spots in the background where they would put him, though.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I do miss both :ivysaur: and :squirtle: but not the trainer himself since all he did was stand in the background watching his Pokemon kick everyone's asses.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
To be honest, yes. Before Brawl, I have always wanted to see the Pokemon Trainer be playable, which is why I was happy to see that he made it in Brawl (despite not being playable directly, and having to control his Pokemon instead). I really do miss him, and I wish that they had brought him back. Oh well, there is always next game.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Completely.

I seem to be one of the only people who actually liked transformations, and the trainer was nobody without that gimmick. Now without him, Squirtle and Ivysaur don't have much chance alone.

I love the three of them, and I was decently good with Squirtle and Ivy. Of course, everyone loves Charizard - he was my first ever Pokémon from Pokémon Red so many years ago, but I really got to like the other two. I've loved Squirtle since I saw him in the anime, and Ivysaur really was just from Brawl.

I know both are long shots to get in, since they don't have the pull other veterans do, but I hope that Sakurai actually meant it when he said he hated cutting characters and that hew wants to try to please everyone with DLC. I feel like that's my only chance to get Squirtle back.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Having some trainers in the back ground for aesthetics would be cool for certain pokemon, obviously not all of them require it.

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
I miss the Trainer himself, though I understand why he was cut.
In a perfect world where he wasn't, I wouldn've Loved to see him change models into Every trainer from Gen 1 to Gen 6

But much more than the trainer I miss Squirtle and Ivysaur.

It upsets me that while Shiek and Zero Suit Samus get to come back as their own characters, Squirtle and Ivysaur have yet to come back independently,
But it INFURATES me that Nobody Else Notices this and no one else is mad about this! :mad:
Come on, they were both very original Smash fighters with unique move sets, many moves from which are Not cloned onto any other fighter!
I don't blame anyone for wanting Mewtwo, Lucas and Roy back, and for expecting Wolf back,
And I also want Ice Climbers to come back somehow
Why aren't more people picketing for Ivysaur and Squirtle to come back? Even Pichu has more support!

If by some miracle you support Pokemon Trainers Other Two, please, I want to meet you!

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I don't particularly care for the Trainer himself. I find it odd that Pikachu, Pichu, Jigglypuff, Lucario, and Greninja can run around without trainers but Squirtle, Ivy, and Zard were bound to one. I guess all three of those Pokemon relied on each other to get into Smash. I'm glad about Pokemon Trainer because that was Charizard's "in" into Smash, and was my most wanted character in 64 and Melee. Charizard managed to get in solo but Squirtle and Ivy got left by the wayside, and I really miss Ivysaur.

While I'm glad Charizard's here, I'd love to see the other two return, but mostly Ivysaur.

Pokemon Trainer was neat in theory but was poorly executed. The stamina mechanic (forcing you to constantly switch) and elemental damage (having each pokemon weaker to a different element, without making them more resistant to a weaker or same element, meaning the Pokemon got the worst part of the deal without getting the best part, and Ivysaur being disproportionately damaged by the plethora of fire attacks vs. the non existent water and plant attacks.) just has no place in Smash.

Perfectly content with :4charizard: though, my most wanted Smash character ever, even though he gets rage from :squirtle: and :ivysaur: fans as if it was his fault they are gone.

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
I don't particularly care for the Trainer himself. I find it odd that Pikachu, Pichu, Jigglypuff, Lucario, and Greninja can run around without trainers but Squirtle, Ivy, and Zard were bound to one. I guess all three of those Pokemon relied on each other to get into Smash. I'm glad about Pokemon Trainer because that was Charizard's "in" into Smash, and was my most wanted character in 64 and Melee. Charizard managed to get in solo but Squirtle and Ivy got left by the wayside, and I really miss Ivysaur.

Perfectly content with :4charizard: though, my most wanted Smash character ever, even though he gets rage from :squirtle: and :ivysaur: fans as if it was his fault they are gone.
:4pikachu:, :4jigglypuff: and :4greninja: all enter via Pokeball, so there is a Pokemon Trainer off screen releasing them. Lucario's the independent one.

I think it's unfair to blame :4charizard: for :ivysaur: and :squirtle: being cut. The only thing that upsets Me is that the two haven't been brought back yet. There is nothing stopping both of them from being buffed enough into becoming viable fighters in their own right.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Purely hypothetically, what would peoples reaction be if :squirtle: & :ivysaur: returned as DLC characters in a future patch (independent from the ballot)?

This is probably not the best place to ask, since if people see the title of this thread, they probably want to talk about how they miss those two.
Maybe I should as in the general DLC thread.

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
Purely hypothetically, what would peoples reaction be if :squirtle: & :ivysaur: returned as DLC characters in a future patch (independent from the ballot)?

This is probably not the best place to ask, since if people see the title of this thread, they probably want to talk about how they miss those two.
I know mine would be boundless joy and jubilation! Endless celebration! Satisfaction with the action is my answer to the question.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master

I'd be glad to see them return. Sure you have people who bemoan "muh reps" but it's Pokemon, the second best selling Nintendo IP behind Mario.

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
I do miss Pokemon Trainer greatly. I am not a huge Pokemon fan, but I played the hell out of Blue Version back in the day and short of my personal favorite Sandshrew, Pokemon Trainer was just about the best Pokemon related character I could ask for.

In Brawl, the hardest challenge for me was clearing Boss Battles on Intense. For the longest time, I couldn't complete it. I tried choosing a quick character and playing hit and run tactics to avoid damage, but no dice. I tried playing powerful characters and brute force my way through, and again no luck. I went through every character. I got close by using Ice Climbers and capitalizing on the double hits, as well as exploiting Toon Link's down-aerial to pogo, but I would still die with a couple bosses left to go. I felt pretty defeated and sure I would never complete it.

Then, I started to get better at Pokemon Trainer and realized their unique "jack of all trades" ability might be what I needed. So I practiced and practiced. Learned the ins and outs of each boss and which Pokemon would do best on each one. And finally, I did it. I beat Intense Boss Battles with Pokemon Trainer. Not by brute force or exploiting a move or tactic, but by studying my opponents and learning their strength and weaknesses, then sending out the right Pokemon for the job. Exactly like how the character (in both the home game and Brawl) was designed to be played.

That's why Pokemon Trainer (the full character, not split into 3 individual characters) will always be one of my favorites in the series. Even if I never see him again in future installments, we will always have Boss Battles mode.

Rest easy, kid. You done good.

Jetmann

Smash Apprentice
The whole "fight with this Pokémon for too long and they'll lose stamina" was okay in concept but terrible in execution. Though I do believe that Red should've appeared in the background when Charizard was fighting. I thought it was really cool to implement the protagonist of Pokémon in Smash and I was kind of bummed when he didn't even return as a background element.

Top Bottom