• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Anyone else gone Forget about Brawl since Wii U Release?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Well, there's one thing this game did in my brawl perception, before ssb4, I didn't like the global repping of brawl (several inconsistencies...hated SSE because of that, too much of long rant so, going to skip it, but I did told that rant months ago).

Now, I HATE EVEN MORE BRAWL!!!

Really, this game did what I judge that comparing to brawl, it's crushing it. Please note that my reasons has absolutely nothing to do with gameplay but mostly with the visuals, audio and the global repping. I liked the artstyle a lot more, the music are even better repped, there's so much more contents, the repping is way broader and finally, the game overall feels good (brawl had some...annoyance like long classic and the loading times....).

My complain on ssb4 is so low that it emphased my negative opinion on brawl a lot more.

So, I basically went from mixed review to I hate brawl.

I do remember but now, I don't want to :)
Not enough Paper Mario.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Not enough Paper Mario.
That's one reason (yeah, this one repping is so much better, but that's only specific, it is better globally).

But there's other stuff. For example, why the stickers even exist?

Or, why earthbound trophies amount are so low?

Among several concern that not only ssb4 fixed, but made it even better (smash run...so much useful repping potential).

D

Deleted member

Hey man, different strokes for different folks.

Someone will enjoy it and brawl too probably.

This games still an amazing party game, if your playing it for online or competitive than good luck.
But playing this with friends and family is still crazy fun like its always been.
I definitely agree that some people may like it and I'm not saying they're wrong. I just meant the competitive community at large generally looked down on Brawl but it took them a while, and despite their hope for Smash 4 I think it will end up the same.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I definitely agree that some people may like it and I'm not saying they're wrong. I just meant the competitive community at large generally looked down on Brawl but it took them a while, and despite their hope for Smash 4 I think it will end up the same.
SSB4 at least got rid of tripping and improved the gameplay big time compared to Brawl. I think the competitive scene for 4 has a stronger chance than Brawl ever did.

That's one reason (yeah, this one repping is so much better, but that's only specific, it is better globally).

But there's other stuff. For example, why the stickers even exist?

Or, why earthbound trophies amount are so low?

Among several concern that not only ssb4 fixed, but made it even better (smash run...so much useful repping potential).
Stickers were the dumbest things. Why is this sticker bs everywhere in multiplayer when its only use is for a single player mode that everyone's gonna ignore once they're done with it? It's moreso annoying that they replace items in containers. Just... I don't think they thought well when they designed the stickers for that game. It's so baffling.

And ugh, the trophies were so lazy, yeah. A good chunk of franchises either just stuck reused crappy models from past games (Pokemon Battle Revolution, which is based on reused N64 models, and that gamecube Donkey Kong game taking up the majority of the trophies for no reason) or are just plain stuck with trophies that exists in Brawl's gameplay. (ATs, Bosses, Items and the players). The trophies felt so insanely rushed there.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

SSB4 at least got rid of tripping and improved the gameplay big time compared to Brawl. I think the competitive scene for 4 has a stronger chance than Brawl ever did.
No tripping is great, but even without tripping I don't think Brawl was very competitively viable. What else is better about Smash 4 than Brawl? Not a lot in my opinion, they still both share the same core issues. Lack of true combos, strings hard to pull off due to overpowered dodging/air dodging/shielding, insane recoveries from most of the cast, no ledge hogging, and the list goes on and on.

If you ask me it's just as lackluster as Brawl, and possibly even worse.

Last edited by a moderator:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
No tripping is great, but even without tripping I don't think Brawl was very competitively viable. What else is better about Smash 4 than Brawl? Not a lot in my opinion, they still both share the same core issues. Lack of true combos, strings hard to pull off due to overpowered dodging/air dodging/shielding, insane recoveries from most of the cast, no ledge hogging, and the list goes on and on.

If you ask me it's just as lackluster as Brawl, and possibly even worse.
Oh, I thought this game had combos though?

But yeah the defense gameplay is pretty overpowering. I hope they fix that through a patch.

D

Deleted member

Oh, I thought this game had combos though?

But yeah the defense gameplay is pretty overpowering. I hope they fix that through a patch.
I could go into detail, but it basically has no true combos. There are a few, but they're extremely tiny, and odd. Likely just overlooked by Sakurai, he obviously does not want combos in Smash considering Brawl and Smash 4 are both lacking them in any significant capacity.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
If Project M didn't exist, I would have sold off my copy a long time ago. The last time I played it was when the final roster was confirmed, to say Goodbye to the cut characters.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I still love Brawl and in some way thinks it's better than Smash 4. The game just had so much. More music, characters, characters, the Subspace, everything. It was really something. I feel Smash 4 didn't have the same magic.

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
I've gone back to Brawl a number of times with friends when I head to their house. Its still just as much fun as I remember it.

Wolfen McGunz

Smash Cadet
Brawl was a lot of fun, despite what you hear from M2K groupies.

I haven't forgotten about it anymore or less than Melee and 64.

Every Smash was great for their own reason, and I do believe the 4th installment is the best.

Last edited:

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Poor Brawl, it was incredibly epic and jaw-dropping in its time, but it just didn't hold much water after beating SSE and finishing the epic cut-scenes, and will probably be the forgotten middle child to the vast majority of the community. I haven't looked at Brawl in quite some time personally, only a handful of times with friends who came around. Now that Smash 4 is here though, I can't say I'll boot Brawl up again. Smash 4 just has everything Brawl had (R.I.P to the cut characters though, especially :snake:, who I'll miss) but more refined.

From a competitive standpoint - That being said, I believe that it's too early to say for sure if Smash 4 will surpass Brawl and age well. Smash 4 does still have a few glaring issues that Brawl had, such as being a bit too sympathetic to roll / dodge spammers. Whether this ruins the competitive scene is yet to be known. I do believe that rolls should be patched a bit personally. Yeah, they're punishable, but it's quite a bit harder than even Brawl. When there are players who literally move to one side of the stage to the other by only rolling, I think we've potentially got a problem. This isn't a big deal though, and we know already that Nintendo will be patching things, adding a few more potential vulnerability frames to rolling could yet be one of them.

Personal opinion - Personally though, I think Smash 4 is a fantastic game that shows off our favourite Nintendo characters in glorious HD, and offers hours upon hours of gameplay, there is also a bit more freedom (more modes, For Glory 1v1 / Team / 1v1v1v1, For Fun and its variants, Tourneys, etc) and stability online, which is a huge plus that'll keep me around for years.

Last edited:

Wolfen McGunz

Smash Cadet
I actually played Brawl at a Gamestop tournament during the launch of Smash Wii U Thursday night. I came in 2nd, only to lose to a kirbycide. My last opponent wasn't bad, but he kirbycided the entire way through the bracket. I had him at high damage while I sat at low damage, but when vacuumed me in, it was over.

Cobli Samus

Smash Rookie
NNID
SamusAran1979
Man, I forgot about Brawl the moment it came out...or I should say, the moment I chose Samus within Brawl, finding that they completely rewrote Samus' play ability from Melee. Unfortunately, there are only a couple good changes going into 4, but none of them bring back her fighting style from Melee.

Drybones08

Smash Rookie
NNID
Drybones08
I call Smash 4 a direct upgrade. I haven't forgotten Brawl's existence, but what if you bought a new car that was better in every way?
I think of Brawl the same way as I think of the old car: It works, but... when am I ever gonna use it again?

DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying the new one eclipses the old one UNDEBATABLY, but I personally like it better.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Yeah in many ways the new game gives off a "what brawl should have been" vibe, mostly because they seemed to reuse a lot of the resources especially in the sound department.

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
I call Smash 4 a direct upgrade. I haven't forgotten Brawl's existence, but what if you bought a new car that was better in every way?
I think of Brawl the same way as I think of the old car: It works, but... when am I ever gonna use it again?

DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying the new one eclipses the old one UNDEBATABLY, but I personally like it better.
I know what you do with that old car... You give to your Kids.

Koggy

Yoshi Adept
I loved brawl for the challenges and the solo adventure things. I never played it for the competitiveness, but I thoroughly enjoyed the entirety of the Subspace Emissary, and the Insane events/Boss battles. Let us never forget the sheer awesomeness that was the Subspace Emissary.

Azew

Smash Lord
I won't be missing Brawl much. Everything about that game is better with Smash-U. Before you say nostalgia, even that's better here, with Super Mario Galaxy, Wuhu Island ect. Until I know if the Gamecube adapter works with Brawl I'm not touching PM either, just because I refuse to use the Wii remote for smash.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom