• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone else gone Back to Brawl since 3DS Release?

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Confession time...

Brawl was my go-to Smash game during the pre-announcement to the post-speculation period. Might as well lynch me for having a casual mindset about this, but I just enjoyed Brawl as the most recent iteration of a Smash Bros. game. I saw it as a catalog of Nintendo from the 7th generation. Otherwise, it still feels very solid and smooth to play. Even if it isn't the fastest or most technical game in the series. I suppose I just stuck onto it as long as I did to prepare for SSB4, brushing up my fundamentals and mains, and because I never got a copy of Project M (but I can say I tried.) Hell, I stuck on so hard that I exclusively attended Brawl tourneys (with some Project M on the side)!

Seeing the same depressing opinions come up after the new games have released just goes to show that Brawl just can't uphold its legacy any longer besides nostalgia. Hell, it hurts that a major Nintendo game can't hold up! This community has starved any worth remaining from an obsolete game and its finally time and moved on and versed myself in more Smash games as well.

Otherwise, whilst I've been to embroiled in SSB3DS to go back to Brawl or Melee, I certainly haven't played my last session of Brawl yet.

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Oh, about Brawl & Project M on the Wii U. Didn't Nintendo say that the Gamecube Controller Adapter is only compatible with Smash Bros. for Wii U? Because if that isn't the case, it would be really convenient to sell off some old consoles.

On a lesser note, GC Controller is my modus operandi for Mario Kart Wii and a couple other games. That **** ain't gonna fly with me, Ninty!

Tsukihi Araragi

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3609-1966-0579
Doesn't Project M already work on Wii U? I mean it can play Wii games, so why not modified wii games?
I meant a "Project M" for Smash 4. But yea, Nintendo should encourage modding. Could you imagine if they let us change the skins of characters? Or if they let us make our own stages (not stage builder stages)?

mashedsmash

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3282-4446-5550
Gameplay differences aside, I'm still burned out on Brawl. I played the **** out of that game...it's too bad Lucas isn't in Smash 4, but I'm only saying that because he was my main.

tm730

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4227-1256-0282
i would if my friend's wii aint install that project m patch

honestly i like SSb4 and Brawl more than Project M/Melee

i never learned them shuffles and shmoney dances people were pulling off back when melee was poppin so i guess i never formed that attachment

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Now that I think about it, Smash 64 is fun as well, but for some reasons I and my friends don't play it by a lot of time now. Maybe we should try it sometimes... the fact is that Melee and Smash 4 are in some way different, while Smash 64 feels like Melee with less things and more rough, that's why we never returned.

Brawl and Smash 4 are similar, they have a similar feel, but Smash 4 is superior in everything, kinda like Melee and 64; so I think returning back to Brawl would be useless (I won't do it anyway).
I'm so happy that Smash 4 finally made Smash fun again, anyway.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Here comes the hate....ugh....

I love brawl to death. It was my first smash game. It's the reason I'm playing today, and the reason I play nintendo in general.
This is probably because I haven't played too much Melee. But I love brawl to death, and since i've played it more, would probably rate it higher. Can't make a fair analysis of melee bc i haven't played enough of it.

Elixir Soup

Smash Cadet
NNID
Stickkid12
3DS FC
5069-4931-8546
Haven't touched Brawl in a while, probably won't for quite sometime..

D

Deleted member

I'll probably go back to Brawl for nostalgic reasons. Other than that, it would be hard for me to pick it up when 3DS and Wii U make some improvements to my liking.

I love Brawl, but I don't feel the need to go back to it.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Mostly Smash4, with some recent dabbling in PM3.5. Then again, it'd been a long time since I'd played vanilla Brawl even before Smash4 was out.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
As someone who focuses on the newest game, nope.

I barely touched melee when brawl was released, don't see it being much different now.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
So guys just curious has anyone else gone back to Brawl since release of the 3DS version I don't now why but I find myself going back quite often either for events or just playing as my mains:popo::lucas::wolf: (hoping for their valiant return in Wii U) Maybe it's also the controls I don't really know but I can't be the only one.. Right ?
Oh man... Those were your mains? That's rough. Lucas was one of my mains. I can't imagine all of them being cut.

kancon1

Smash Cadet
Oh, about Brawl & Project M on the Wii U. Didn't Nintendo say that the Gamecube Controller Adapter is only compatible with Smash Bros. for Wii U? Because if that isn't the case, it would be really convenient to sell off some old consoles.

On a lesser note, GC Controller is my modus operandi for Mario Kart Wii and a couple other games. That **** ain't gonna fly with me, Ninty!
I don't think it will be compatible, but these HORI Battle Pads look nice and since they work the same way as a classic controller, they'll work on Project M and Mario Kart. Its not available till the 21st though.
http://www.amazon.com/HORI-Battle-Mario-Version-Turbo-u/dp/B00ND0E5ZU

Also these are out already, but they don't look as high quality.
http://www.amazon.com/PDP-Wired-Fig..._sim_vg_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0RRQ85NBYS60FZQX4DKV

Last edited:

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Maybe to occasionally play around with mods and to have an easy 4-way multiplayer free for all experience. I don't have a Wii U yet, so Brawl is and will still be my primary console Smash until then.

Otherwise, no. I'm very happy with Smash 4.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
I don't find myself going back to it and probably won't unless it's that's all there is. I'm loving the new Smash.

With that said, I love Brawl. What I do think about still are the characters, their moves/buffs that aren't present with the current smash and how much fun the game actually is. All the characters are great, even if some seem broken (cuz hey, if Brawl got a quick re-balance like Smash 4 did, it'd be less broken). The only problem with Brawl I see now is the floatiness (tripping was immediate hatred). Aside from that, it's a pretty near perfect game.

Smash Wii U wins, though.

Chocobo Link

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4253-3960-6377
Going back alone: no
With friends: I have, but we prefer Melee

I like it and all, but I feel Brawl is that summer romance you have behind Melee's back and then you return home into Melee's open arms. Until you realize it's now Christmas vacation and you say farewell to Melee for now and you find twins Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U and have an affair with them as little brother Smash 64 promises to not tell anyone

Shmoopy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jordanious24
3DS FC
3995-6588-3249
Nothing particularly wrong with brawl in my eyes. I mean yeah tripping and all but.....
ANYWAY....often times, NO, all the time, beside Project M, its the most recent console smash alternative so a lot of times I'm forced to play it with friends if they don't play Smash3DS(THOSE POOR SOULS)

Minuy600

Smash Apprentice
I still play it often. My friend gets Brawl and maybe Project M soon, so we can duke it out. (He doesn't have a 3DS/Wii U)

Qnez

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gunzelino
3DS FC
4511-0457-1518
I would if I could play with a GC controller on my wii U. I was forced to transfer my save to it because my lens couldn't read the disc on my old wii anymore. Classic controller is okay but its actually kinda breaking due to smash. I already have to push some buttons harder. Don't have this issue with my 10 year old GC controller. This is also the same reason I haven't touched smash 64 in a while (only able to play the VC version).
I did turn it on a few weeks ago but I ended up just listening to the music and reading some trophies.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Only for Project M 3.5. I don't do any of the exploits and advanced techniques in Melee but I just don't care for how Brawl plays. Brawl had really bad (and very slow) pacing with its combat IMO, the fights rarely ever feels exciting so I get bored of the game rather quick. I tried but I cannot feel the excitement I had with the other Smash Bros games for Brawl. I can easily go back to any other Smash Bros game though, they've all been pretty fun and timeless!

I went back to replaying Melee before Smash 3DS came out (started a new save and unlocked many stuff). But as for playing Smash Bros post-3DS launch. I'm sticking with the 3DS game since it's fresh and new and it's actually a lot of fun and exciting. But I'll ditch it once I get the Wii U game, that is the main event for me. Can't wait!

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I prefer Brawl over Smash 3DS if only because I've come to absolutely despise the 3DS controls. I've just put both on hold until the Wii U version's release though, once that's out there'll never be a reason to pick either of those two up again (maybe except if I miss Snake too much.)

thelakitulad

Smash Rookie
NNID
tehelmoman
No love for Brawl :'( R.I.P dudes :lucas::popo::wolf::squirtle::ivysaur::pt::snake:
The worst part is, Ice Climbers definitely won't come back as DLC since they don't work on Smash 3DS... I haven't went back and probably won't, but if Lucas and Wolf (And maybe Snake) don't retur as DLC, I might just go back to see them in action again...
Also, your avatar is funny.

PingPongCop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bottlecapn
3DS FC
2938-8474-3044
On top of that, I miss the swimming mechanic from Brawl. So yeah, I'm going back to it eventually.
Okay so this either means

a.) You haven't been following Smash 4 at all

or b.) You're not getting Smash Wii U

Both of these are a sin, so shame on you.

JK, but seriously, swimming is in Smash 4.

adamlon1

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3583-0365-0217
NOPE Smash 4 has me pre occupied at the moment and I do not see myself coming back since I wasn't really all that good or liked brawl Melee and 64 I will come back to however

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
Unless you mean Project M, then...actually, I still did once. Brawl has it's own fun quirks like Pivot Smashes and the Cape Glide I miss. But it's just too damn boring and slow to really enjoy anymore in comparison to other smashes.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'll keep playing Balanced Brawl. Sometimes I like a more easygoing kind of game, and Balanced Brawl makes it so that there's no tripping and that no character is horrible (like every character except :metaknight:).

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
I don't even want to touch that game with a hundred foot pole!

Seriously however, NO!

(And no Project M for me either. I was honestly bored to tears the last time I touched that (by legal definition mind you) illegal modification of Brawl and this is coming from the guy who loved Melee to death up until 4's release on the 3DS!)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I play Brawl for the same reasons I play Melee and SSB64.... to play as the cut characters and to play on the non-returning stages.

MeleeMario64

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-1005-9633
Nope.At least,not for a while anyway.
I'd probably be extremely rusty with it's sluggish,slow gameplay.However,I haven't rusted on my baby,Melee,at all.
It's funny,Brawl was my first game,yet Melee was(and actually still is)my favorite.
Long live Melee!:mariomelee:

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
I meant a "Project M" for Smash 4. But yea, Nintendo should encourage modding. Could you imagine if they let us change the skins of characters? Or if they let us make our own stages (not stage builder stages)?
Please...NO. If this happens, I'm done with competitive Smash as a whole.

There doesn't need to be Melee, Smash ____, and a Melee version of EVERY FREAKING GAME THAT ISN'T MELEE. Can't we just respect the devs' work and let each game be each game? It's gone from a fan project to a near obsession to revert everything that is now to what once was.

On topic: Why on Earth would I play any of the older versions of this game when I'm trying to master this one? Melee's fall speed is ridiculous and its bugs are abundant. Brawl just loves to make me trip and its hit-boxes are straight stupid on some characters. Both are horribly imbalanced. In all honesty, the only Smash I'd truly revisit with that said is this one, assuming we got a sequel to this one.

Last edited:

NefariousShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NefariousShyGuy
3DS FC
3609-1047-1128
So guys just curious has anyone else gone back to Brawl since release of the 3DS version I don't now why but I find myself going back quite often either for events or just playing as my mains:popo::lucas::wolf: (hoping for their valiant return in Wii U) Maybe it's also the controls I don't really know but I can't be the only one.. Right ?
I still play Brawl, Smash 64, and Melee to this day even while Smash 4 is still out. I love all the Smash games equally. I love how each game is completely unique from each other and has its own strengths:

Smash 64: For newcomers learning how to play
-The most simplest Smash and by far the best introduction to Smash Bros for newcomers wanting to get in the series. Not all mechanics from Melee and onward are implemented, making it easier to learn. This game is for the complete newcomer who finds Smash confusing and doesn't know how to start. Once they mastered 64 and learned the rules of Smash, they can move on with confidence to other installments and master those games.
-A game all about the combos. With the massive hitstun and the extremely satisfying sound you hear whenever you land a hit, combo-enthusiasts are sure to have a blast.
-The most chaotic 4-player free-for-all experience next to Smash 4. Especially with items on.
-Has the best items in the entire series. It's actually really fun to turn items on in this game and they always improve the experience rather than hinder it.

Melee: For pure competitive players wanting all the glory
-Very fast paced and adrenaline-inducing. Smash has never been this badass.
-The gem of competitive Smash.
-Very hard to master, but if you're up to the challenge the reward is amazing.
-No items, Fox only, Final Destination.

Brawl: For people who just want to have a good time
-The Smash with the most original content to date (most newcomers and most new stages compared to other installments).
-The best single player experience.
-Best 4-player free-for-all Smash for those who want a little less chaos and more strategy.
-Has a ton of unlockables and challenges, making this game perfect for completionists. You have to earn each unlockable individually with pure skill unlike in Smash 4 where there are multiple and easier ways to horde unlockables.
-The game is slow enough for newcomers and casuals to join in the fun. Also slow enough for you to sit back and relax with a drink while still kicking some major butt.
-It's safe to say that Brawl has the most exclusive content out of any installment in Smash. If you want to play as Lucas or Wolf, there's only one game to play...

Smash 4: Jack of all trades
-If you're torn between playing competitively (Melee) or casually (Brawl), Smash 4 creates a solid balance of both.
-8 player Smash.
-The most balanced Smash to date. A tier list is almost nonexistent or at least very subjective. Nintendo also has the ability to patch this game and make it even more balanced.
-Customization.
-Smash 3DS is portable.
-Smash Wii U has the best visual.
-Has best Online mode
-DLC

Sure each game also has its own weaknesses, but I won't mention them since I just want to show each game positively.

But I will say that Melee's 4-player is BOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRIIIIIIIIIING. ;)

Last edited:

Drig786

Smash Journeyman
NNID
i-DRIG-i
i have gone back to brawl to look back at my old replays since the wiiU version is not too far off now :p

Ninpalk

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ninpalk
3DS FC
2148-8192-8931
I play all smash games at least once in a while, I only play Project M at friend's houses, but I'm talking official games, here. Those are the ones I play all around.

YELLO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyuuketsukou
3DS FC
2509-3654-5979
the new smash compared to brawl is just HORRID
the responsiveness of the controls is so bad it makes me want to punch a baby in the face
i really hope they come out with an update because if not im going back to brawl

Top Bottom