• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone else getting irritated with these photo updates?

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Real talk a good bit of these daily photo "updates" are about as anti-hype as you can get. The thing that irritates me the most about them is the fact that a lot of these photos show absolutely nothing new. In fact, a lot of these pics are the same ones we've already seen... they're just shown at a different angle or at a different point in a character's attack animation.

For example:

One of the many day 1 photos of the Villager:

Today's photo of the day:

...get hyped?

Maybe I'm just being a whiner but I'd rather have a consistent stream of QUALITY updates over the span of 2-3 weeks as opposed to these meaningless photos taken every day.

But nevertheless I'll keep checking back to the site daily like the mindless sheep I am... I mean lets be real here if Sakurai told all of us to "jump for Smash updates" we'd be doing back flips and cartwheels we didn't even know we could do.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai's probably saving all the big stuff for Nintendo Directs (Characters, stages, etc.) Just have patience, we'll be getting more info soon enough.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
Yeah, it isn't very hype. I'd rather want a new character or stage shown.

Also, what Tom said, which also brings up the question... I wonder when another ND will happen. :I

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Realistically, what else could they show us? We're probably a year out from release, and it seems like they want to save character and stage reveals as batch items in big, flashy trailers, which I am perfectly OK with. Seeing newcomers and veterans battling it out in a minute or two-minute trailer is a lot more exciting than looking at a few screenshots and a text blurb.

It sounds like Sakurai is just too busy between the game and his condition to do Dojo updates this time, which is quite understandable. The man is in a great deal of pain. Sure, Dojo updates would be nicer, but if not taking the time to do that enables Sakurai to give us a more polished final product, that's fine by me.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Real talk a good bit of these daily photo "updates" are about as anti-hype as you can get. The thing that irritates me the most about them is the fact that a lot of these photos show absolutely nothing new. In fact, a lot of these pics are the same ones we've already seen... they're just shown at a different angle or at a different point in a character's attack animation.

For example:

One of the many day 1 photos of the Villager:

Today's photo of the day:

...get hyped?

Maybe I'm just being a whiner but I'd rather have a consistent stream of QUALITY updates over the span of 2-3 weeks as opposed to these meaningless photos taken every day.

But nevertheless I'll keep checking back to the site daily like the mindless sheep I am... I mean lets be real here if Sakurai told all of us to "jump for Smash updates" we'd be doing back flips and cartwheels we didn't even know we could do.
You won't be saying that when years from now after the game has already come out you discover that every single one of these photos is a clue, to a giant puzzle that allows the first person to solve it to unlock one additional secret character... Roy. I'm telling ya man, write off these updates if you want, but keep a mental note of them.

EDIT: It is a test of endurance and cunning from the great Sakurai. Sakurai giveth and Sakurai taketh away.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
The one where Fox body slams Mario in the wrestling ring hyped the f#@$ out of me. Photos of actual fighting are what I like to see, or y'know funny ones. By the way, the image in the first post will change tomorrow when Sakurai changes the photo on the smash website, so here's the miiverse link that won't disappear any time soon.

https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/zlCfzRBuiSA3RPV44F

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
In all seriousness, I'm grateful he is giving us anything at all this early on. At least this way I have a vague glimmer of hope every morning that I will learn something new about this game. Also as has already been pointed out, some of them are pretty funny.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Realistically, what else could they show us? We're probably a year out from release, and it seems like they want to save character and stage reveals as batch items in big, flashy trailers, which I am perfectly OK with. Seeing newcomers and veterans battling it out in a minute or two-minute trailer is a lot more exciting than looking at a few screenshots and a text blurb.

It sounds like Sakurai is just too busy between the game and his condition to do Dojo updates this time, which is quite understandable. The man is in a great deal of pain. Sure, Dojo updates would be nicer, but if not taking the time to do that enables Sakurai to give us a more polished final product, that's fine by me.

Where did I ever say Sakurai should update it like the Dojo? I understand more than most would think in terms of how hard he's working to get this game done, but all I'm saying is that a lot of these pics are seriously half assed.

I just don't see the point in them at all tbh. We don't NEED daily updates... A consistent stream of quality (aka some actual... you know... NEW information) updates every 2-3 weeks sounds much more appealing to me.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
That's true, but daily photo updates almost certainly would not impact a planned release schedule of, say, meatier bi-weekly updates, so why not have them? I can't imagine that these things take more maybe ten minutes to make, seeing as the team just maneuvers two characters into a funny pose and presses "take picture".

I am sure Sakurai is acutely aware of the PR needs for this game. Remember, it has been only two weeks since the official reveal. It'd be better to give things some more time and see what Nintendo has planned, as the pictures are pretty clearly just filler in between meatier updates.

I am expecting most character information to drop in actual trailers, which might put character reveals on a monthly schedule.

BentoBox

Smash Master
BREAKING NEWS: TRIPPING IS BACK IN SSB4

is the only thing I could think of when I saw these pictures

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Irritated? No. Underwhelmed? Yes. Surprised? Not at all.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I'm not too annoyed bout it. Besides, something is better than nothing.

Plus it needs more Pit, then Bowser, and showing off new moves of the veterans (hopefully ones we haven't seen yet). Speaking of which, you think Pika may inherit Electro Ball somehow or something to keep up with the moves he has in the anime?

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
The new dojo has been underwhelming up until now. But I think Sakurai made the right choice with it, in the Brawl days everyone got their hopes up and were eventually disappointed by the game.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Yup... the DOJO definitely spoiled us.

People need to remember that the updates for Brawl were very extraordinary. They were something much more than anyone should ever expect while waiting for a game. We're just going to have to settle for a normal wait this time around.

Aduross

Smash Apprentice
It's not a big deal. The pictures aren't terribly exciting, but it's something to talk about anyway. More than we've had in a while. Plus, I'm enjoying any peeks at the game in action that we can get however minor.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Yeah, I honestly don't understand why the photo updates would be irritating. Is something not better than nothing? They are without a doubt going to give periodic updates every now and then. Otherwise they wouldn't have that little ticker underneath the photo on the homepage.

I'm wondering how many people haven't even clicked on that thing. It provides a log of all past updates, which very heavily implies that there will be future true updates.

Hong

The Strongest
Sakurai enjoys posting these silly photos. Let the guy enjoy himself. He has enough stress to deal with, what with his health problems and all eyes around the world expecting ridiculous characters to show up.

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman

I think "a year out from release" is being a bit pessimistic, but that's just me.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
My guess:

Day 1: Average photo
Day 2: Another average photo
Day 3: Another average photo
Day 4: Another average photo
Day 5: Another average photo
Day 6: Another average photo
Day 7: Another average photo
Day 8: Another average photo
Day 9: Another average photo
Day 10: Another average photo
Day 11: Another average photo
Day 12: Another average photo
Day 13: Another average photo
Day 14: Another average photo
Day 15: Another average photo
Day 16: Another average photo
Day 17: Another average photo
Day 18: Another average photo
Day 19: Another average photo
Day 20: Another average photo
Day 21: Another av... WAIT! WAIT! WAIT! Hold on a second! Is that... OH MY GOD, IT IS! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You can't really expect something new to be revealed on an average day. If anything, you'll probably need to wait until the next Nintendo Direct to hope for anything new.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
My guess:

Day 1: Average photo
Day 2: Another average photo
Day 3: Another average photo
Day 4: Another average photo
Day 5: Another average photo
Day 6: Another average photo
Day 7: Another average photo
Day 8: Another average photo
Day 9: Another average photo
Day 10: Another average photo
Day 11: Another average photo
Day 12: Another average photo
Day 13: Another average photo
Day 14: Another average photo
Day 15: Another average photo
Day 16: Another average photo
Day 17: Another average photo
Day 18: Another average photo
Day 19: Another average photo
Day 20: Another average photo
Day 21: Another av... WAIT! WAIT! WAIT! Hold on a second! Is that... OH MY GOD, IT IS! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD!
I think by guess you mean, the secret hope of everyone here, hence why we check it every day. I'd liken us to Pavlov's dogs, but they would actually learn after a while that if reward Y stopped following stimulus X to not expect reward Y. We never learn.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I tink by guess you mean, the secret hope of everyone here, hence why we check it every day. I'd liken us to Pavlov's dogs, but they would actually learn after a while that if reward Y stopped following stimulus X to not expect reward Y. We never learn.
Its not that we never learn, its that we have hope and the ability to reason. =)

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
I think Sakurai should take this opportunity to showcase we haven't seen before. Like new moves, Villager and Mega Man's Final Smashes, WFT's special moves, etc.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Where did I ever say Sakurai should update it like the Dojo? I understand more than most would think in terms of how hard he's working to get this game done, but all I'm saying is that a lot of these pics are seriously half *****.

I just don't see the point in them at all tbh. We don't NEED daily updates... A consistent stream of quality (aka some actual... you know... NEW information) updates every 2-3 weeks sounds much more appealing to me.
It's for the people who care about it. Are you honestly saying you would rather he not upload them at all because they don't matter? Yeah, I don't particularly care for them either, but they're there for people who are interested. It's not like he's wasting time he could be spending working on the game or anything. These are probably just pictures he takes while playing the game in his spare time.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
I think Sakurai should take this opportunity to showcase things we haven't seen before like new moves, Villager and Mega Man's Final Smashes, WFT's special moves, etc.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
The pictures aren't going to show much. We've been getting a lot from interviews, and small videos, and that's where the main source of info is going to be from at the moment. Here's to hoping that this keeps it up

*raises glass*

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If your getting irritated, don't visit the site

D

Deleted member

You know what strange, is it me or are they deliberately not showing Kirby Hats in any of the photos...Then again they probably do kirby hats last because everything is subject to change until the final roster is decided upon.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
The pictures aren't going to show much. We've been getting a lot from interviews, and small videos, and that's where the main source of info is going to be from at the moment. Here's to hoping that this keeps it up

*raises glass*
Let us hope indeed. But it won't happen.

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't know. To be honest I think the daily pictures are kind of annoying too. I would much rather if we got news every 2-3 weeks. Sakurai said not to expect much though. So I will most likely still check everyday. It takes like 5 seconds. In the end we got a HUGE reveal with the 3 newcomers and a trailer. So I am not really expecting much. Maybe something in July.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Just look at the daily photos as Sakurai allowing himself to have a little fun and posting it publicly. At least he cares enough to give us something when he is in fact under absolutely no obligation to do so.

Do we really feel like we're entitled to updates? =P

SirPainsalot

Smash Apprentice
I think Sakurai specifically said to not expect much updates like before, somewhere.
The best we can hope is that a year from now he restarts the dojo-like updates. Otherwise I don't see him doing much else other than these fun pictures and the occasional update from Nintendo Directs, which is really what we need to look forward to.

Oric Windstar

Smash Rookie
We were definitely spoiled by Brawl's dojo. With Nintendo Directs now pretty common, I'm guessing a lot of the reveals will happen through them.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
I like the pics. Getting better updates will only make you more impatient about the game.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Wow, it's only been two weeks and people are already getting restless. I sound like a broken record but for Brawl we had to wait a whopping 15 months after the first trailer before we saw a new character in the form of Ike and it was 20 months before we even knew the whole starting roster. It should also be noted that between the first trailer and the second trailer, we went 6 months without a single scrap of new information and then had to wait an additional 6 before the Dojo started updating every weekday. Think about that. For Brawl, we had to wait an entire year for daily updates and this time around we got them right off the bat. Also, with Nintendo dedicating an entire Youtube channel to new Smash videos, the promise of reveal trailers for every newcomer, and Nintendo making Nintendo Directs a monthly thing, I can almost guarantee that the wait this time will be infinitely easier.

Oric Windstar

Smash Rookie
When is the next direct?
They haven't said a date, but they seem to happen every 1-2 months. Maybe they'll slow down a bit since E3 just happened, but I know that they're doing a Wonderful 101 themed direct sometime before September.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Didn't Sakurai tell us that he is going to be doing less stuff on the Dojo compared to what he did for Brawl and only release screenshots he has made during his lunch break every weekday?

Oh well I think it's nice that he at least wants to give us something every weekday even if it's very small and the same as he isn't obliged to do so. If you don't like them, ignore them and just wait for the Nintendo directs or whenever sites like Smashboards notify us if some big reveals happen on that site.

Top Bottom