• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone else get upset when...

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Yeah, I know about Futile and Plan 9, they're pretty crazy. But still, that's one region. I mean, in Melee, Taj's Mewtwo was destorying everyone in his region.

We'll have to wait in see when the next huge national tournament comes (since FC was canceled, I think that one in FL will be replacing it) and see how well these players do when competing against players from all over.

Here's what the east coast looks like

Mass Madness 9 Results:
1: Cort ($435.60) (Snake)
2: PC Chris ($237.60) (Snake)
3: Nuro ($118.80) (Snake)
4: Jinx (Metaknight)
5: Solid Jake (Snake)
5: Darc (Snake)

X.E.S.T.I.C.L.E. Results:
1 Cort (Snake)
2 M2K (DDD)
3 PC Chris (Snake/Rob/Falco/Meta Knight)
4 Dazwa (ZSS/Meta Knight)
5 Omega black Mage (G&W)

The mid-west is all about MetaKnight, Rob, and GW. Needle of Juntah (GW), Vidjo (MK), and Overswarm (ROB) are all doing well.

I doubt even Bum could’ve found a use for the headbutt in Melee …
He did Headbutt to Giant Punch a few times. I've also seen him do Headbutt, wait for them to jump out, then Up air combo. Basically, headbutt to repeative headbutts O_O

But yeah, he mostly uses it off stage, surprisingly even in some tourney matches.

But yeah, headbutt in brawl = a nice way to get in a Fsmash/Giant Punch. In Melee, he didn't need that :p

Nokonoko

Smash Apprentice
When people first started talking about Bum on the Melee DK board (me = lurker), there literally weren’t any YouTube videos to speak of … I checked now, and there’s a crazy amount. Guess I have some research to do on old DK. :p

When it comes to Brawl, we’re just seeing so many more players. Even if DK is in a worse position than before, at least he’s not massively underappreciated, right? That does count for something.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
When it comes to Brawl, we’re just seeing so many more players. Even if DK is in a worse position than before, at least he’s not massively underappreciated, right? That does count for something.
That's absolutely right. One of the main reasons people think DK is worse in Melee is because many people never took the patience to learn his potential since he was so unpopular.
He's a solid character in both games, and yes, it's good to see people are finally noticing the Kong for once :p

-Aether

Smash Journeyman
I love how people think DK was bad in Melee.

There was a total of 2 active/competitive/known tournament DK players (Bum and Mexican).

Both did very well in regional and national tournaments going only DK. The problem is that DK was so unpopular in Melee and no one bothered making a new tier list. Chillindude tried making his own for 07-08 and he placed DonkeyKong in High Tier.

I actually think DK is worse in Brawl then Melee. It's just that, he's WAY easier to use now and the highest of Top Tier characters don't **** him as hard as they did back in Melee. Since, he's way more noob friendly, more people picking him up now.

Yes, people have to stop saying DK sucks in Brawl, but you can't trash his Melee counterpart.

edit:

A2ZOMG is the truth
1. Chineseah played DK competetively for years; he's part of TA and has been a high placing MD player for a while. Check the power rankings for specifics.

2. As for DK being in high tier..maybe. his chaingrabbing/juggling was affective against most of the top 6 characters, but that's a still stretch of the imagination, even when coming from a professional player like Chillin. I doubt many other pros would capitulate with his view.

3. Being mid tier or low high tier doesn't mean DK is good, it means he's OK and if you play high end characters against him you're mostlikely going to get trashed. So, yeah. I'll say DK sucks in competetive Melee and Brawl. I wouldn't counterpick any high tier character with DK in melee, and I wouldn't do it in Brawl. In all fighting games, you have two choices. Play top tier or a counterpick, or go home. I'm sure someone with your tournament experience understands the concept of play to win.

4. It's a mystery how I know all of this stuff!! How on earth is it possible with my '08 join date!!??! Oh noes!

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
1. Chineseah played DK competetively for years; he's part of TA and has been a high placing MD player for a while. Check the power rankings for specifics.
He uses Fox way more then DK... I'm well aware of how well he does in tournaments, but it's mainly because of his solid Fox.
2. As for DK being in high tier..maybe. his chaingrabbing/juggling was affective against most of the top 6 characters, but that's a still stretch of the imagination, even when coming from a professional player like Chillin. I doubt many other pros would capitulate with his view.
Eh, that's just your opinion. What do know is that Mew2King responded to Chillindude agreeing on DK's placement (cept moved Ganondorf up there too and Samus below them both). I'll take a maybe from you nevertheless.
3. Being mid tier or low high tier doesn't mean DK is good, it means he's OK and if you play high end characters against him you're mostlikely going to get trashed. So, yeah. I'll say DK sucks in competetive Melee and Brawl. I wouldn't counterpick any high tier character with DK in melee, and I wouldn't do it in Brawl. In all fighting games, you have two choices. Play top tier or a counterpick, or go home. I'm sure someone with your tournament experience understands the concept of play to win.
Low high tier = good. Weren't IC and Samus low high tier in Melee? Also, I can care less if you wouldn't use DK as a counterpick granted the fact you don't even use him...
The 2 people, Bum and Mexican, who actually used DK (Chinesah doesn't count imo) and were skilled with him in Melee did well competitively and the same seems to be showing up in in Brawl:
Mew2King said:
God-

Metaknight

Top-

Snake
Falco (yes I'm very confident Falco should be here)
G&W
Pit (another super campy character that is really good if you play gay, only real weakness is his blue wings means he can't up B again)
DeDeDe

High-

Olimar
Toon Link
Fox
ROB
Diddy Kong
Luigi
Marth
Ike

Upper-

Donkey Kong
Lucas
Zero Suit Samus
Zelda
Sheik (I really don't feel she's much worse than Zelda at all)
Ice Climbers (if some infinites or long combos are mastered I'll put them higher)
Lucario
Wario
M3D said:
Top Performers-
Metaknight
Snake
G&W
R.O.B.
Dedede
Falco
Wolf

Tournament Regulars
-
Marth
Lucario
Ice Climbers
Fox
Donkey Kong
Zelda
Ike
Pit
Wario
Olimar
Toon Link
Diddy Kong
Zero Suit Samus
As many before, many people in the backroom where starting to take note of DK's potential.
I know Bum has been dominating so far. Riot and Linguini is doing very well in Florida.
4. It's a mystery how I know all of this stuff!! How on earth is it possible with my '08 join date!!??! Oh noes!
You live in MD, one of the best smash states. Also, all you posted were things that were obvious (Chinesah is a good player) and simply your own opinion on whatever.

-Aether

Smash Journeyman
Well, to tell the truth I've been smashing competetively since 2004. Anyways, would you bet money that 5/10 professional players would say DK deserved high tier in melee? I mean, maybe we're on different wave lengths.

As for the insight into the Brawl tier list that you quoted, he's 13 characters down. I mean, maybe you feel as though that warrents playability, but I think that's just as subjective as my statements.

Oh, and I wanted to comment on the fact that I do think bum is an incredible player, and I recognize that he's placed well in MLGs, as well as beaten many professional staples in sets. No one plays DK quite like he does. So, yeah - when I see bum, I can understand why some people might consider DK high tier, but the point of a tier list is not to emphasize outliars.

Finally, I'm not sure what your second point was trying to imply because of some grammatical errors.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Well, to tell the truth I've been smashing competetively since 2004. Anyways, would you bet money that 5/10 professional players would say DK deserved high tier in melee? I mean, maybe we're on different wave lengths.
Yes
As for the insight into the Brawl tier list that you quoted, he's 13 characters down. I mean, maybe you feel as though that warrents playability, but I think that's just as subjective as my statements.
There's alot of characters in this game.
However, I think tournament results warrent playability >_> I dunno, that's just me...
Oh, and I wanted to comment on the fact that I do think bum is an incredible player, and I recognize that he's placed well in MLGs, as well as beaten many professional staples in sets. No one plays DK quite like he does. So, yeah - when I see bum, I can understand why some people might consider DK high tier, but the point of a tier list is not to emphasize outliars.
Eh, you didn't notice how I mentioned there's really only 2 Melee DK players. I mean, yes, many can say Bum is simply just an amazing player in general. People will say "Well, who else can use DK that well?" I would reply saying "Who else uses DK?". When I looked threw tournament results for DK players, the only no name people where DK and Mexican (well, Mexican is only well known in the West Coast). Another one I think of is only AOB, but he dropped smash awhile ago. However, when he did play, he would go even with like, CunningKitsune's Fox.
Finally, I'm not sure what your second point was trying to imply because of some grammatical errors.
I was editing my post the same time you typed up your reply.

P.S. Darkrain's new man is DK and Tink picked him up as well :p

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Those are the big games everywhere lol. The smash community can't compare to Halo and Madden. Eventhough smash is a popular game, not enough people take it as seriously as Halo or Madden.

KingRico23

Smash Rookie
Omg, can people stop saying he's alot better? Especially if your join date is 2008.
What the hell does the join date have to do with our skill as players??? I've been playing Smash since 64 and I just joined. I know I'm not the best but I'm good. But I digress...

As for DK, I believe that he was buffed, but not incredibly. That's all I'm gonna say, since I rarely play DK.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Normally, I never mock the join dates of other players, however, 2008 is when the flood of inexperienced smashers (aka, Brawl noobs) started flooding the site with nonsense (hence the mods being furious, experienced players flaming others, more players staying in the backroom, the site crashing more often, and so forth).

Anyways, KingRico, ok, so you've been playing smash for awhile... but how much experience do you have playing competitively?

_kSo_

Smash Master
What the hell does the join date have to do with our skill as players??? I've been playing Smash since 64 and I just joined. I know I'm not the best but I'm good.
because you were offended by that *join date* statement, I'm going to go ahead and assume that you are terrible

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
You're completely dissolutioned if you think DK was ever high tier.

Or for that matter, upper-mid tier.

The fact is he has always been sub-par, and will probably always be sub-par.

Doesn't make him any less fun to play.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Scarlet Jile
Smash Journeyman

Brawl FC: 1461-5860-9648

My name is Scarlet Jile and I skim through posts. I don't bother reading explanations people have for the statements they present because I personally don't believe in supporting points.
Scarlet Jile said:
You're completely dissolutioned if you think DK was ever high tier.

Or for that matter, upper-mid tier.

The fact is he has always been sub-par, and will probably always be sub-par.

Doesn't make him any less fun to play.
See?

_kSo_

Smash Master
Scarlet Jile
Smash Journeyman

My name is Scarlet Jile and I skim through posts. I don't bother reading explanations people have for the statements they present because I personally don't believe in supporting points.

See?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL omfg that was 222funny

Ban3

Smash Journeyman
is fighting for his friends at Sugar Land TEXAS
Scarlet Jile
Smash Journeyman

See?
lol owned but honestly what does this have to do with the topic? "make some new threads called dk was better in meele" and "to many noobs joined n '08" but i agree with nj when he said that dk is better in meele and now is more noob friendly. thats about all i have to say...:urg:

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile

See?
Wow, that was pretty creative. Looks like you put a good amount of effort into setting that up for us, it's a shame you're still basically a tool that trolls every forum and still manages to never make a worthwhile post.

You're right, though, I do skim your posts, but only because they're always meaningless garbage. Maybe if you played Smash as much as you posted online I'd take you seriously.

Lavos

Smash Journeyman
I like how none of that post addressed the topic at hand and rather insulted a very competent smasher for no particular reason. Dude, he was calling you out for not backing up you post with any proof other than "Because I say so". Maybe if you were M2K or something, you might be able to pull off the "Because I say so" reasoning, but you're obviously not.

How about this? How about you go practice until you're a pro, then you can come back and maybe we'll take your "Because i say so" reasoning seriously. Until you can do that, I'm going to go ahead and listen to the guy who backs up his points with reputable sources, rather than the guy who pulls things out of his ***.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Wow, that was pretty creative. Looks like you put a good amount of effort into setting that up for us, it's a shame you're still basically a tool that trolls every forum and still manages to never make a worthwhile post.

You're right, though, I do skim your posts, but only because they're always meaningless garbage. Maybe if you played Smash as much as you posted online I'd take you seriously.
I don't go to every forum? lol I only post in forums that relate to me in anyway. Like, the characters I play, the games I play, so forth. Also, I don't troll, being a DK player in both games and seeing inexperienced people compare the two ---> me posting/arguing here. However, you're the one who just comes in here basically saying "lolz, your wrong, cause I said so. But he's fun to play."
Hypocrite much?

Never worthwhile, meaningless, care to elaborate? That is, if you will actually support something you say for once (again, hypocrite much?).

Also, to even think that you know so much about me must make you a troll. Still, what I pretty much do on this site is either provide what I know, try to learn something new, be funny (but still remain relevant to the topic at hand), and correct people when they're wrong/argue when I know I'm right. Again, if you can provide some recent examples or at least an explanation of me doing other wise, that would be great.

Blad01

Smash Lord
Seriously, My respect for DK largely increased lately. His main weakness is his recovery though...

A meteor smash, then he's gone p_q

[Oh and NJzFinest and Scarlett Jile, you're wasting your time. We don't care about your life or your behaviour on SmashBoards. Seriously...]

_kSo_

Smash Master

meaningless garbage...

ok let me address this comment first.
When NJzFinest gets into an argument with someone online, he always says things that are backed up with facts and sources. You may find this to be meaningless garbage because YOU are the one who doesn't know anything about smash so YOU have to pull stuff out of your *** in order to make yourself look better, but i'll tell you what. It's just making you look stupid. The obscure, inconsistent comebacks that you have been shooting at NJ have been incredibly incompetent and naive. I don't think you have said anything worthwhile since you have been in this thread, Nay, been on the FORUMS, so you should go ahead and think about what kind of meaningless garbage YOU have been spewing from that peanut you call a brain

played smash as much as you posted online...

yea, NJzFinest is on a level of smash play that you probably will never reach. it may seem like he posts online far too much, but the only reason is because it frustrates him (and me) that people like you are polluting smashboards to no end, therefore making the community less intelligent. In retrospect, he probably doesn't play smash as much as he posts, but let's not forget the other activities in which he participates in, such as break dancing (which he is very good at) as well as graphic design (yea hes pretty good in photoshop) and let's not forget the big one, being a PHARMACY student at Purdue University. Honestly, I don't think anything you have in your arsenal can put a dent in this kid's armor because his argument as well as your own self-sabotage has completely shut you down and stripped you of any viable statement that you could possibly make

and yeah, DK was good in melee IMO, and I haven't played him in brawl, but according to reliable sources (NJzFinest, Kirkq, Iggy, Joshu, M2K, etc...) he is easier to use in brawl, and slightly better overall as a character.

The fact that he is easier to use greatly contributes to him being a better character. Just look at shiek in melee, she is easy to use at a lower level (perhaps a person of Scarlet Jile's mental capacity could play such a character at this level) thus making her a really good character.

Granted, Fox from melee was the best in the game, no doubt, but he was much harder to use at lower levels, so less people picked him up. I guess it really depends on how much effort you want to put into the game

(you lost)

[Oh and NJzFinest and Scarlett Jile, you're wasting your time. We don't care about your life or your behaviour on SmashBoards. Seriously...]

yeah......since you joined in 2008 I'm going to assume you don't know smashboards very well.

just go ahead and sit this one out. You'll see what happens

slikvik

Smash Master
**** MD/VA. I have no region. no really...
you can't base how good characters are just off how many people play them, just because a character is more popular than another doesn't mean he's a better character. Also, some people copy off other people's styles or slowly learn and build up from other people, advancing the metagame of certain characters more than others. After Snake and MK, it feels to me like it's close between DK/DDD/Falco/GW. Rob is good but doesn't kill well, Fox is good but not as good as the others, and even though no one really uses toon link yet he still seems like a good character regardless based off his stats.
yea...DK *****

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
[Big Yellow Wall of Lolz]
Pretty epic fail. The best part was the breakdancing and college student part. I feel like a better person for knowing that, and it was extremely relevant to everything.

When you're done playing grabass with some anonymous college kid on the Internet, let me know.

To kind of sum things up, Donkey Kong is a pretty bad character in Melee, and his usefulness has been substantially improved.

NJ's argument that was practically nobody played him professionally in Melee, so technically it's not fair to conclude that he was a bad character.

No ****?

Or maybe nobody played him professionally because he was not a great character, not because everyone just loves Fox to pieces.

I love DK just as much as the next guy, but seriously, wake up. He was a bad.

P.S. Good luck with your Pharmaceutical studies.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
lol, yes, practically no one used him, he's unpopular character in general. But I did add that those who DID use him DID very well. Bum and Mexican did well in national/regional tourneys being the only ones who go all DK. Oh, there's actually that guy, PKMvoda, from Canada who did pretty well at Viva La Smasha;skda; or w/e it's called. Eggm said his DK was trashing his Falco or something. Problem is, I don't think PKM goes all DK :(
It's whatever though, since as mentioned before, there is a solid amount of experienced players who share the same view and that's enough for me.

Oh, and thanks for the good luck ^_^ I need it :p

KoalaBear

Smash Apprentice
DK is a good character period... he may not be good against most characters but his playing style is good against Snake AND MetaKnight thus he has MUCHO potential

Mighty_Sven

Smash Rookie
first time i played brawl was in a tourney where i used DK. im not sure what people thought when i picked him but im sure no one was laughing when i got 10 KOs on my first round. im happy with the improvements theyved made with him

Top Bottom