• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone else find the online completely unusable?

NintendoTogepi

Smash Apprentice
I wait for 5 minutes to find someone, and then usually it errors.

Sometimes though, it starts the match. And it lags. Horribly. It takes a minute for the character intros to stop. Then after about 30 seconds of the match (and about 5 minutes in real life because of the extreme lag) it errors.

It really is unusable for me.

When will it be fixed?

Ubezor

Smash Rookie
Right now two things are messing up online play

- Peoples crap connections
- The Big N experiencing server overloads

If its your crap connection, look at the threads and search up some fixes. I suggest port fowarding.

If its an internal problem in the Big N you got to wait.

Since you can connect, I think your connection sucks, or someone you are playing with has a horrible connection.

NintendoTogepi

Smash Apprentice
Right now two things are messing up online play

- Peoples crap connections
- The Big N experiencing server overloads

If its your crap connection, look at the threads and search up some fixes. I suggest port fowarding.

If its an internal problem in the Big N you got to wait.

Since you can connect, I think your connection sucks, or someone you are playing with has a horrible connection.
I doubt it's my connection, my internet is very fast and stuff.

BFCSX

Smash Rookie
how many bars are you getting on your wii when you connect to the internet and to a connection test to search for access point? or are you wired to modem / router?

do a speedtest on www.speedtest.com real quick and hit us back with some results

NintendoTogepi

Smash Apprentice
how many bars are you getting on your wii when you connect to the internet and to a connection test to search for access point? or are you wired to modem / router?

do a speedtest on www.speedtest.com real quick and hit us back with some results
Bars?

Anyway, why do you link me to that virus site?

Edit: I went to the real version, it gave me this:

For the people that can't see the image, it says 721KB upload speed and 120 or so download speed, and a ping of 159...

That's good right? All of my other online games work great...

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
No problems here, and I'm in the UK. But that probably means I'm playing the same 12 people over and over again haha

Shipa

Smash Rookie
I live in Europe and i dont have Brawl however this is my connection:

Im not sure yours is good. I would say its not. However maybe im wrong.

SageMiomo

Smash Rookie
Whenever I go to friends houses ( Dont have a Wii yet) and we go Wifi its super smooth, no lag. Ofcourse we do FC battles but still.

ShengNu

Smash Apprentice
uh i have no problems with online play anymore go find friends who have good connection and your fine.. I don't understand why people play with "anyone" anymore its stupid.. You get losers with crap connections, they all suck.. And they all pick sonic -_- and lastly thy are ghey asz too minute matches go get friends to play with from this site or in real dude stop wasting your time in play with"anyone" matches..

Justice7541

Smash Apprentice
I recommend you just stick to matches you get off the Friend Finder here at http://smashboards.com/ff since most people play without items and most games are 1v1 stock rounds. You can also find a game fairly quickly even during the slow hours.

Justice7541

Smash Apprentice
dang shipa i wish i had ur internet connection...i only got 384KB upload
Um, I think he mixed up the upload and download speeds in his last post. His UPLOAD is 120, not download.

Speaking of which, I should note that that kind of speed is characteristic of a wireless connection. If you're really having trouble with connection speeds, you might want to try investing in a Wii LAN adapter, which is significantly faster. I recommend you run the Speedtest again with an Ethernet plugged into your computer first, though, just so you can see the speed difference.

Matsuyama

Smash Cadet
Bars?

For the people that can't see the image, it says 721KB upload speed and 120 or so download speed, and a ping of 159...

No, no, no. Your download is NOT 721 kB/s. It is kb/s, kiloBITS, not bytes.

Convert it: 721/8 = 90 kB/s.

Your max download is 90 kilobytes per second. Which is not great, but should still be able to play Brawl with minor lag/delays.

Vinntage

Smash Rookie
the only problem for me is when i play any matches online its delayed. when i press A the actual hit goes a second after. its not lag becuase everything runs fine. my USB connector has all bars.

anyone know anyhting about the delays?

BFCSX

Smash Rookie
Bars?

Sorry, I meant www.speedtest.net (not .com) sorry >_>

yoonkwun

Smash Apprentice
the only problem for me is when i play any matches online its delayed. when i press A the actual hit goes a second after. its not lag becuase everything runs fine. my USB connector has all bars.

anyone know anyhting about the delays?
Of course when you play any online game there's going to be some delay. Everyone has it, it's just something you have to get used to.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Bars?

That's mine, and I have no problems on with friends matches, even up to 600+ miles away.

I do tend to have issues with lag on With Anyone matches though, often enough to cause the game to be unplayable, at least to my standards.

Sometimes, however, I'm sure it's my connection. You probably have DSL lite of some sort which is generally given pretty low priority by the ISP. So if anyone's connection is going to lag up, it would be yours. I know I've had that problem fairly often, to the point I can't even use MSN messenger and download a file at the same time.

NintendoTogepi

Smash Apprentice
No, no, no. Your download is NOT 721 kB/s. It is kb/s, kiloBITS, not bytes.

Convert it: 721/8 = 90 kB/s.

Your max download is 90 kilobytes per second. Which is not great, but should still be able to play Brawl with minor lag/delays.
Oh...

Minor lag is not exactly how I would describe online play...:dizzy: (btw, the Wii is very close to the router. It's only like 10 or so feet away in the same room)

GenesisJLS

Smash Journeyman
NintendoTogepi it's not your internet connection speed, it might have something to do with your router. I would recommend checking the manufacturer of your routers website and look for a firmware upgrade for it. Another quick question, have you experienced any other Wii online games with latency issues? In addition, I have yet to play a latency free random brawl match online even with my decent connection speed.

NintendoTogepi

Smash Apprentice
NintendoTogepi it's not your internet connection speed, it might have something to do with your router. I would recommend checking the manufacturer of your routers website and look for a firmware upgrade for it. Another quick question, have you experienced any other Wii online games with latency issues? In addition, I have yet to play a latency free random brawl match online even with my decent connection speed.

My router is fine, I think...

I don't have any other online Wii games. My DS games and other online PC games work good...

BFCSX

Smash Rookie
It takes me about 5 minutes of waiting to find a match...

Really though, the lag if I do get into a match (and it doesn't error) is the worst lag I have ever seen.

And spectator matches work great for me.
I doubt it takes you 5 minutes to find a RANDOM match online. If you meant friends matches / spectator mode, then ok well yeah obviously seeing as how that's P2P (Player 2 Player). Nintendo's "Basic Brawl" and "Team Battle" have been down / offline since March 9th 2008, so it's not even possible to play a match on those game options regardless of your connection method, speed of connection, router settings, etc. So I don't see where you are going with this.

And honestly, did you really think spectator matches WOULDN'T work for you!? Pre-recorded matches, HELLOOO! Of course they work fine for you, EVERYBODY who is able to connect online in Brawl can view them! Wow.....

NintendoTogepi

Smash Apprentice
I doubt it takes you 5 minutes to find a RANDOM match online. If you meant friends matches / spectator mode, then ok well yeah obviously seeing as how that's P2P (Player 2 Player). Nintendo's "Basic Brawl" and "Team Battle" have been down / offline since March 9th 2008, so it's not even possible to play a match on those game options regardless of your connection method, speed of connection, router settings, etc. So I don't see where you are going with this.
I have found some. Only 2 matches actually. The first one played fine for 20 seconds then lagged and crashed, and the second one was moving at about 1 frame per second as soon as the match started.

And you're acting like five minutes is a little bit...that's a LONG time.

BFCSX

Smash Rookie
I have found some. Only 2 matches actually. The first one played fine for 20 seconds then lagged and crashed, and the second one was moving at about 1 frame per second as soon as the match started.

And you're acting like five minutes is a little bit...that's a LONG time.
Compared to how long I've been waiting? 4+ hours on the Wii?

5 minutes is NOTHING. I WISH I could play this game online in 5 minutes. As the previous poster said, it's nintendo's fault. So don't take it out on me.

Nintendo's Customer Service and Support has your name on it... I suggest bashing them all you'd like: 1-800-895-1672 Extension 110

daftsir

Smash Rookie
anyone who says online play can be the same quality as regular play is full of it. i have a wired connection to my wii as well a fairly fast connection and it still lags like hell some of the time. there shouldn't be online tournaments or anything like that while may sound convenient isnt consistent with normal game play.

Memento

Smash Rookie

Anyway, does the WiFi play require any port forwarding or would that help in anyway? Furthermore, if I were to play with some friends who live within 10-15 miles of me will the lag be anything like the general play I see?

tachyon34

Smash Rookie
definitely play only people near you. I played "play anyone" and i know it lags like crazy, probably cause u got some guy in alaska connected to a guy in mexico, who is hosting the thing and is connected by a guy in england.

I get little to no lag when playing people locally.

Im guessing it also depends how good the fiber network is in your area.

Top Bottom