• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone else doing accidental sings when trying to do an aerial pound?

CraigUK37

Underscore HERO
NNID
CraigUK37
I feel the angle for an air pound is so shallow that without the gate which GameCube controllers have; I keep failing the input.

Just wondering if anyone else is having a similar issue or has a solution? I am very much used to using the gate to get exact angles, its just too much risk for me right now to try to pound.

If anyone is wondering how shallow the angle is, I think its about 22/23 degrees, but just go into training mode and do air pounds over and over slightly increasing the angle each time till you find the sweet spot. It is well within my personal left/right angle room of error.

This isn't exact, its just how I feel the angles are. this might even be a bit generous, its just a quick mock-up for those who aren't going to test it for themselves.
poundsing.png

Last edited:

Rayopuff

Smash Apprentice
I found myself doing accidental rests when trying to do regular pounds

CraigUK37

Underscore HERO
NNID
CraigUK37
grounded pounds or air ones? the angle on the ground is different to the air one and is a lot more forgiving.

♫ Zura ♫

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KatsuraRapYo
3DS FC
4914-3426-2583
It's happened to me with rest, I inputted an Arial pound and got a rest. It's funny because I never even got punished by the guy on for glory, he was a good sport.

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman
I'm doing accidental rollouts and pounds a lot and I'm not sure why. Never happens with the gamecube controller.

Spirst

Yeah, sometimes. I also do accidental shadow sneaks when trying to go for a horizontal hydropump with Greninja. The circle pad lacks the little notches the GC controller has that gives the stick part its octagonal shape. Can't wait for the Wii U version to drop.

Dr. Giygas

Smash Rookie
Can't wait for the Wii U version to drop.
Not gonna lie I'm pretty dumb and I was going to mention that the wii U controller doesn't have those. Duh, GC controller.

This happens to me far too frequently, and only ever as Jigglypuff and Luigi. And only with B moves. A moves have never gotten messed up (And if they do it is far more rare)

♫ Zura ♫

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KatsuraRapYo
3DS FC
4914-3426-2583
Also happens when I try and throw my boomerangs with TL, I end up using his recovery Up B

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I get this a lot when I play Mega Man but not Puff (granted I do use her specials much more sparingly than Mega Man)

Rend4125

Smash Cadet
NNID
Billiam4125
I have both sang and rested by accident trying to pound before as well. cost me a few stocks :(

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
Yes, this issue is the bane of my Melee proficiency and has begun to return in 3DS. When Wii U comes out, it will be easier with a GCC.

Lime Cultivist

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3368-3457-2010
Yes. I'm doing accidental b-moves with every character. Thankfully illusioning offstage doesn't kill you immediately anymore - thanks sakurai!

Ting Sing

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CADANAMAN
This has been happening to me so much. Sometimes when I'm in the heat of the moment, the angle I hold the system with tends to change a bit, so maybe that affects what I think is the true left/right angles. So maybe that could be the case with others as well.

Zippy

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2036-7264-1156
I accidentally Rest & Sing ALL the time when pounding, mainly when using it to recover. Its costed me way too many matches... The irritation caused by the Circle Pad is pretty much the #1 reason why I absolutely cannot wait for the Wii U version.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
No but for all characters if the connection isn't good enough I get a tilt instead of a smash and it's VERY annoying when it would of killed had the smash attack came out. Also sometimes I get a jab instead of a tilt.

Last edited:
Top Bottom