• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone else bothered by Lucas' grab?

BrianM

Smash Journeyman
In both of the games, Ness had pretty good throws. They were a beast in the 64 version actually, and set up really well for d-airs and such. Ness's grabs remained pretty good in Melee as well, his back-throw and forward-throw being almost as powerful as before. Ness's grabs are one of his perks.

In Lucas' case, however, he now uses a snake to grab people, similar to Link's hookshot or Samus's grapple beam. While his new grab helps out a lot with a predictable recovery, it also somewhat limits his defensive/offensive approaches. Shield grabbing does not look as viable for Lucas, instead (from what I can tell at the moment), having a lot of focus on SHFFL'd b-airs (I still don't like using that term for Brawl though). A lot of the reasons I don't like Link and Samus very much is because of their grabs; their grabs are situational and have a lot of risk involved when using them. Since Lucas' grab functions similarly, he has risks in using his grab as well.

What do you guys think?

BrianM

Smash Journeyman
Probably you never used Ness in Melee and had to get used to his terrible grab, I'm glad Lucas's is long ranged, not to mention the rope snake in Brawl is very faithful to Mother 3 itself.
Hmm, well, you're right, I only mained him in N64, I was only sure that the general power of the throws were still the same in Melee.

Voyager

Smash Journeyman
Ness had terrible grab range.

Rope snake > stubbby arms of epic phail

The only thing im worried about is that his throws wont be nearly as good as Ness' godlike throws in exchange for the improved reach.

STEREO_226

Smash Apprentice
as powerful as Ness's grabs are, they are difficult to get ahold of an opponent thus leaving yourself wide open. Personally i like the fact that Lucas has the snake. It is one of his weapons in Mother 3 so it makes sense, and it will have really good range.

dan smith

Smash Champion
I do hope Lucas' throws are just as good as Ness' I would be really upset if he dosen't retain that strong back throw.

As far as the grab, yeah...Ness' grab was blood god awful. I was never a fan of the hookshot/grapple grabs...but hopefully the Snake will be good and I'll get used to it.

It can't have worse range than Ness...and that's reasuring.

heypancho

Smash Apprentice
Ness' range was dumb in Melee. B throw was godly though. But that's Ness. Sort of glad the grab is different. Lucas shouldn't be Ness. I get bored knowing Ness' moves are being used by Lucas, because he isn't Ness. :p..

Noshiee

Smash Ace
Ness' range was dumb in Melee. B throw was godly though. But that's Ness. Sort of glad the grab is different. Lucas shouldn't be Ness. I get bored knowing Ness' moves are being used by Lucas, because he isn't Ness. :p..
well, PK Fire, Thunder and PSI magnet arent Ness's moves neither, those are Ana's/Paula's/Kumatora's moves, Lucas and Ness stole those, not to mention that Lucas also "borrowed" Duster's Rope-Snake. PK Love/Rockin and PK Flash are the only offensive attacks that Ness and Lucas actually own.

heypancho

Smash Apprentice
:p You know what I mean.. and, you're probably saying that those with their respective moves should be in instead of Ness ~_~.

SenorPresidente

Smash Ace
The thing that you should remeber that is that brawl is not melee and the weaknesses and strengths of certain moves in melee may not apply to brawl. The snake does how ever look rather small compare to links/samus grapple.

saratos

Smash Apprentice
The snake will most likely be pretty quick. Looking at how quick the grapple and the hookshot are, the sopesnake could be faster. Now Heres To Good Throws!

Jumanji

Smash Cadet
Would much rather have a crappy grab ranges than a Yoshi/Samus/Link/ Y. Link grab. I mean there is a Yoshi and Samus mains rarely grab and it is not because their throw suck. The snake is most likely just to give him more options for recovery, or perhaps more appropriately to replace the airdodge-> recover option, sense that seems to be gone. It can't be replacing the Yo-yo as someone said because his up and down smash has been replaced, so the yo-yo would have already been removed.

Elec Man EXE

Smash Apprentice
the rope snake doesn't have to be Lucas' grab you
know. Zero Suit Samus' tether recovery was her
up B, after all. i think.
Except they gave us Lucas' entire special moveset. Check the Dojo again. The snake isn't one of his specials.

Unless its a really wierd aerial, the Rope Snake can only be his grab. And since we saw him use it on the ground as well... I'd say its pretty much confirmed his grab.

In any case, yah, I hope its quicker to use than other grapple grabbers. Its shorter, so it'd be a nice way to balance it out, but then again Yoshi gets shafted with a crappy slow grab thats also shorter. So Lucas might get the same treatment.

dan smith

Smash Champion
Zamus' grapple is side b and up b...that way you can grab the ledge from below or from the side. That's actually kinda cool now that I think about it.

...but yeah...Lucas doesn't have any specials left. Grabby grabby grab grab.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
I don't mind the rope snake being short. It's like, when you are just SO close to the edge, but won't reach it by a *little* bit and then were forced to PK Thunder or air dodge for that little distance... it was annoying. Now we've got options. If you're far, PK Thunder. If you're very close, PK Thunder into the stage, or Rope Snake into the ledge.

geemann2236

Smash Journeyman
Doesn't seem like this is really gonna cause any problems. This is because tether throws rarely have problems, and Samus's grab at the E-4-All is significantly faster, so I think this will be too.

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
I would like it if the snake was simply a tether recovery method rather then an actual 'grabber'. I just don't see any brawler running in for a mindgame or something only to throw out a snake to grab rather then an alternative to simply grab and throw normally.

I think the power will probably be the sacrifice for longer range...

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
I couldent care less about the throws. ness' were awesome but Lucas' will probably better

I hope ness comes back just to shut evereyone up about him leaving

Ness: "Guys. I just went to the Bathroom jeeze! hey, but i picked up a new moveset on the way here :D"

GKirby

Smash Apprentice
This is news that Duster isn't going to show up... Nuuuu, Bleh still chances for claus lol

dan smith

Smash Champion
Yeah, that was pretty meaningless seeing as how tethering is already way confirmed.

I liked what prettygoodyear said earlier about it too. The fact that it prevents near stage PK Thunder recovery, which is indeed very helpful, cause that's when you most often get hosed.

From fighting Links, throughout the years, I appreciate a good grapple grab. I would rarely expect it, and in that way it was fairly effective.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
I love it!

It means you don't have to use his not-so-helpful-at-close-range Pk Thunder Recovery!

So now I can grab the edge with much better effects! This will be some good mindgames! :laugh:

FunkMaster

Smash Journeyman
i mentioned yoshi's grab because while yoshi has a long(er) grab range,
he doesn't have a tether recovery.

so that COULD mean that while Lucas has a tether recovery, he will still
have a regular grab range. i think that his rope snake will be his grab, but
he could still have a normal grab. it's a possibility until we know for sure.

also, no need to be hostile. i was just saying something.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
one of the main drawbacks with ness in melee was his horrendous grab range, this seems to fix that hahaha, this isn't a problem, but a blessing.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
i mentioned yoshi's grab because while yoshi has a long(er) grab range,
he doesn't have a tether recovery.

so that COULD mean that while Lucas has a tether recovery, he will still
have a regular grab range. i think that his rope snake will be his grab, but
he could still have a normal grab. it's a possibility until we know for sure.

also, no need to be hostile. i was just saying something.

We've seen the rope Snake on the ground, you know...

FunkMaster

Smash Journeyman
oh.
right. i seem to have forgotten about that. sorry.
that was a pretty foolish mistake on my part.
my apologies.

it looks like a pretty quick grab. i guess.

my god that feels ridiculous

Hippochinfat

Smash Ace
juyj

Yeah, since he's replacing Ness it sucks that his throws won't be as good but hey I don't want lucas to be exactly like Ness so I'm pretty neutral about it.

finalark

SNORLAX
It seems that they are encouraging Tether recoveries now. Zamus has it, Lucas has it, Link has it and Samus as it. Next thing you know, Yoshi is going to be able to use his tongue to recover!

dan smith

Smash Champion
FunkMaster: Don't sweat the mistake.

Finalark: I don't know if you could say they are encouraging Tether recoveries really, they've only really added one tether (Lucas) cause I mean...Zamus is just Samus...really. I would agree that they are seemingly trying to make them better. I wonder if we'll see more.

Hippochinfat: Way to go, making unfounded assumptions and wasting web space...awesome...thanks...

Drik Khaail

Smash Ace
hopefully it will have some qualitities like Ness's, like death thru back throw. its really cool, and should be interesting to see how it will be used- like Link's hookshot, and hits the ground and takes a while to recover, or an interesting quick lasso whip sorta thing like Samus'.

Top Bottom