• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Anyone curious about how hard it'll be to play Smash on a 3DS,

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
have you tried watching the Direct on it? I know there's still the control issue, but I am mostly concerned about how difficult everything will be to see on a small screen, especially since I have an original model.

Well, I just tried it out and honestly I was surprised. Even with the superimposed 3DS taking up a portion of game-play footage, it really does seem easy to follow. Anybody else tried this?

I figured this might get locked but I wasn't really sure which other 3DS-related topic it might fit into, and I just figured that if it gave anyone who was concerned the idea it would be worth the post.

serazac25

Smash Rookie
I think the 2DS will be a better option than the 3ds XL. The 2ds is comfortable, prolly getting that with Smash, I wouldn't mind a 2DS XL though :p

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
I actually think I need to cave in for a 3DS XL for this game just for the bigger screen. :/

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I've moved the thread to the 3DS boards, seems more suited there. Anyway, I think it will be just fine, then again, I've got the XL model and I kinda forgot how small the original screen was again.....

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
I actually think I need to cave in for a 3DS XL for this game just for the bigger screen. :/
If there's a sweet bundle you could totally get in on that.

I have a red XL and I love it. It's still not very comfortable after many hours of play like the original (I get cramped up), but IMO the screen size difference in itself is worth the upgrade.

It's not necessary, but I assume for the new Smash you'll want to have that advantageous big screen.

The 2DS though is really comfortable to hold, so I guess it's personally preference. I would get a 2DS XL if it existed, but for me the bigger screens outweigh the comfortability of the 2DS.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Legitimately did not realize there was a 3DS specific board somehow haha. Thanks for the move.

I'm sure the XL will be alright actually, but it just kinda depends on the person I guess... MH3U is perfect for me on my original, but my brothers bought an XL for it because they couldn't take it.

I would definitely buy a bundle, though it's XL or bust for me because I actually use my 3D.

Last edited:

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
I'll be in the same boat making due with a small screen unless they come out with a limited edition XL. Then things might change..

Hong

The Strongest
Control-wise, Tales of the Abyss handles well on the 3DS and 3DSXL, and the controls are relatively similar.

Since the camera will be biased towards the character you control, I am not worried about visibility issues.

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Control-wise, Tales of the Abyss handles well on the 3DS and 3DS, and the controls are relatively similar.

Since the camera will be biased towards the character you control, I am not worried about visibility issues.
I hadn't even thought about that. My brother has Tales of the Abyss, I should definitely borrow that and see how it feels for me.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
The 3DSXL feels comfortable to use, well its sides anyways. Holding it for long periods of time without support can put a number on your hands, but not as much as the sides of the 3DS' sides.

I think it will control fine, but expect tons of broken L and R buttons.

SupermanNKO

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4570-8405-1628
I literally bought a 2ds the day it came out, specifically for smash bros. I have since played pokemon x for bout 450 hours on the 2ds and my hands have never once cramped or got uncomfortable, I get made fun of by my friends with an xl but im like wait for smash and we will see whos laughing

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
I switched from a 3DS to a 3DS XL last year and enjoy the bigger screen.

katastrophic

Smash Cadet
NNID
katastrophic
3DS FC
3308-4726-7643
I upgraded from the regular 3DS to an XL and it's such an improvement. No more square sides, much less cramping, and bigger screens are better than they sound. And since the 2DS is apparently really comfortable to hold, the regular model will probably be the least comfortable during smash 4. (Personally, I'll always put the XL above the 2DS)

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
Haha, you guys make me want one even more.

If they don't make a smash XL they are seriously missing out on some big money. The only bad thing about it for me is having to transport my old SD card data onto the new one (although I don't know if this is actually annoying or not).

pickle962

Smash Lord
I imagine you'll have the option to map the controls to whatever button layout works best for you! Plus Nintendo has a great track record when it comes to making fun easy to pick up n play games to I don't think the controls for the 3ds version of smash 4 will be a pain like some people think they might!

Mamp

Smash Apprentice
I think the issue will be less the size of the screens, but rather the fact that the circle pad is kinda awkward, and may make it challenge to play.

NickOfTime90

Smash Rookie
It actually looks like the Circle Pad Pro would be very comfortable for playing Smash. Given it's gamecubelike feel^^

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Meh, I'm not too fussed. I own the original 3DS, and I have played games like Sonic Generations, Super Mario 3D Land, and Luigi's Mansion 2 for very long periods of time, and have never had hand cramps or anything.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I still have the original 3DS model that I got to start out 2012 with. All that I'm hoping for now is that we're given the option to use the directional pad for character movement.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
I have a 2ds and got in on release,played pokemon for 120hours,played ALBW twice and played the MH3U demo(I got the game on wii u but I wanted to see the controls on a 2ds)and they all played smoothly.I hope the 2ds gets a second circle pad.Also what do you guys think the touch screen will be used for?An 3ds XL smash bundle would be great or I could just wait and see if we get a MH4U bundle(that's not gonna happen...)

Last edited:

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
For any of you worried about the circle pad, I'm pretty sure there are grips that make it stand out more (like a gamecube stick). Search em' up, you might like them.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I haven't had any problems with the circle pad and games like MH3U, KI:U, or Tales, so I'm thinking it should be okay for Smash.

Of course if a specific Smash accessory came out, even just a themed CPP came out I'd probably snatch it up.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Also what do you guys think the touch screen will be used for?
Well, like we saw in the direct it'll be used for menu options and stage selection. I might also be used similarly to how it was used in Street Fighter IV, allowing you to use combos/specials quickly

I one concern I have with the Circle Pad is the quick presses Smash requires. I invite anyone who has their 3DSes near them to do a few quick dashes on the 3DS. I can see the joint on our thumbs cramping up if played for too long.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I haven't had any problems with the circle pad and games like MH3U, KI:U, or Tales, so I'm thinking it should be okay for Smash.

Of course if a specific Smash accessory came out, even just a themed CPP came out I'd probably snatch it up.
Still, just to be safe, the directional pad should still be used for movement too. If you want to dash, just tap twice left or right; this would basically reference Kirby's movement controls.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Still, just to be safe, the directional pad should still be used for movement too. If you want to dash, just tap twice left or right; this would basically reference Kirby's movement controls.
Yeah the D-Pad would be a solid alternative.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I still have the basic Nintendo 3DS for 3 years and see no need to switch to either the 3DS XL or the 2DS.

On the size of characters on screen

Watched the Smash Direct on my normal 3DS. From the looks of things, I'll see everything on the screen just fine. Nothing seemed too small.

On system gripping and cramps
I've had my 3DS for years and I pretty much don't have cramps any more. If I do, I always have this just in case. The Circle Pad Pro add-on, on the other hand, gives me cramps sometimes but then again I haven't used it very much so I guess I'm just not use to it.

On using the D-Pad as an alternative for the Circle Pad
I have a game on my 3DS called Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion (a game that SEVERELY plagiarises Super Smash Bros.) and it has D-Pad support. I for one don't like using the D-Pad on that game since the 3DS's D-Pad (don't know about the 3DS XL or 2DS D-Pads though) is pretty small, hard, and stiff and I don't feel complete responses like I do with the Circle Pad (and response time is important for games like SSB). I'll just use my D-Pad for taunting.

R0Y

Smash Master
3DS XL is just the same resolution blown up. So 90 percent larger screens means 90 percent larger pixels. Yes you can make out the characters better but it'll be more pixelated too.

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
Up tilts.

The screen should be fine, though.

Last edited:

PlTe

Smash Journeyman
I bought a 3DS XL for Pokemon X. So I'm already ready for Smash 3DS. Plus I quite enjoy the 3DS.

R0Y

Smash Master
If SSB4 for 3DS is anything like Brawl, it'll have customizable controls. Perhaps circle pad can act like the second analog with that control scheme.

However, OG 3DS D-pad is far from the best, don't know about 2DS or 3DS XL though.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I am only worried about the screen if Palutena's Temple is on the 3DS; I can't even imagine playing on the stage with smaller characters at opposite ends. However, I am more worried about the general controls as the 3DS wasn't exactly built for fighting games, I will get used to it, so it isn't a major concern; I am curious as to how difficult it will be though.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I am only worried about the screen if Palutena's Temple is on the 3DS; I can't even imagine playing on the stage with smaller characters at opposite ends. However, I am more worried about the general controls as the 3DS wasn't exactly built for fighting games, I will get used to it, so it isn't a major concern; I am curious as to how difficult it will be though.
I'm guessing a stage like that will only be on Wii U, because that will be terrifying if they had it on the 3DS as well. I'm assuming that the controls won't be a huge problem. Its just you'll probably have to get used to it because many of us used Gamecube controllers. Only real problem would be hand cramps but only some people have that problem.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
The 3DS XL I own never gave me any problems with the way it fees or when I play for an extended amount of time. The game I played for the longest amount of time was Sonic Lost World, so not really that much of a problem IMO. I have played KI:U for a while (I never played for an extended amount of time), and it feels just fine.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm guessing a stage like that will only be on Wii U, because that will be terrifying if they had it on the 3DS as well. I'm assuming that the controls won't be a huge problem. Its just you'll probably have to get used to it because many of us used Gamecube controllers. Only real problem would be hand cramps but only some people have that problem.
Yeah; my hands never cramp, I am a seasoned veteran when it comes to video games, haha. That isn't something that ever happens. My hands are used to the abuse.

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
Yeah; my hands never cramp, I am a seasoned veteran when it comes to video games, haha. That isn't something that ever happens. My hands are used to the abuse.
Exactly. I was surprised at how many people on this board repeatedly mention cramping. My hands are a little big for the original model and yet I've never felt uncomfortable.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I agree. Palutena's Temple probably won't be on the 3ds, but unless they only put small stages on the 3ds, any medium-large type stage is going to have this issue. It would be extremely frustrating if there are more than 2 players on a large stage, because when one player inevitably wanders away to the opposite corner while you are stuck fighting another player, you'll have to strain to make-out what the other player is doing and be able to effectively play. And then they could do something probably even less desirable and set the camera to have a maximum amount of zoom, so that characters that are in play could be off screen and not visible. Maybe they simply won't have any large stages like that on the 3ds however. I suppose it would be the lesser of evils in my opinion.

xxEliteAlicexx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xxEliteAlicexx
Yeah I agree. Palutena's Temple probably won't be on the 3ds, but unless they only put small stages on the 3ds, any medium-large type stage is going to have this issue. It would be extremely frustrating if there are more than 2 players on a large stage, because when one player inevitably wanders away to the opposite corner while you are stuck fighting another player, you'll have to strain to make-out what the other player is doing and be able to effectively play. And then they could do something probably even less desirable and set the camera to have a maximum amount of zoom, so that characters that are in play could be off screen and not visible. Maybe they simply won't have any large stages like that on the 3ds however. I suppose it would be the lesser of evils in my opinion.
I hate that in brawl when someone chooses temple and is in a random corner! It's really annoying... thank god for glory. lol

Top Bottom