• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone actually retrain themselves to use a different controller?

danzibr

Smash Cadet
I used GCC since Melee. I thought maybe the Pro Controller might be objectively better, so I started training myself on that. I set front L to shield, back L to special, front R to jump, back R to grab, right stick to attack, tap jump off, then ABXY all attack. Oh, also, I played with my index and middle fingers on the appropriate buttons.

Here's my experience so far:
-Using front R to jump came faster than expected.
-As did using my right middle finger for grab.
-Apparently I usually shield with my left index finger anyway, that was easy.
-But special to back L, my oh my, that didn't work at all. For some reason having using my right middle finger felt fine, but my left middle finger up there just felt so unnatural (maybe because I'm right handed?). I don't know if this is something I can train through, or if I should give up and put special back to default.
-Setting right stick to attack was really nice. Makes those tilts much easier to execute.

With the left middle finger thing not working, I might switch back to GCC but change jump and c-stick.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I used Wiimote/Nunchuck going into Brawl (messed up my Melee play switching/using Gamecube controller for both), but going into Smash 4, I got used to both the Gamepad and GCN again (along with the 3DS).

danzibr

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the reply!

Huh, interesting, I hadn't considered that. One controller per game would keep stuff straight in your mind. I exclusively used GCC in Brawl though.

HYP3R

Smash Lord
My Gamepad broke so I was forced to learn WiiChuck, I didn't have any other option.
I set Z to Shield, C to Grab, and that only left the D-Pad for Jump. It was very rough for a week or so because it felt incredibly awkward, but the more I played with it, it became second nature. D-Pad to Jump isn't as bad as it sounds because you can slide your thumb from A to the Down button for quick SH Aerials.

Last edited:

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
I used the Wii u Pro for a year before switching to the Gamecube, which I've now been using for over a year. I found it was actually pretty easy. I find the Gamecube objectively better, mostly because the left stick on the Wii U Pro just can't compare, movement is harder on it IMO because of how much shorter and fatter it is.

danzibr

Smash Cadet
Interesting replies.

Regarding the practice practice practice thing, I think I'll give it more of a go :) It's weird though, I used GCC exclusively for ~13 years (ugh, I feel old). The only 2 problems I see with GCC for Smash 4 are jump is so far from c-stick (for default settings, remedied by switching R to jump), and the digital v. analog business. So... obviating the jump issue only leaves the latter.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I was used to using the GameCube controller, I couldn't even use the Classic Controller for the Wii. It wasn't until later when I first started playing Sm4sh that I was forced using the Wii U Pad, since other players were using other controllers. I picked up the controls fairly quick.

Top Bottom