• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anybody else stuck with nasty Melee habits?

Iamthemovie

Smash Journeyman
I know I do

Attempting to wavedash
Directional Air Dodging
Jump Cancelling grabs
L Cancel every my every move

Yeah... I can't think of any more but I still do these when they have no effect in Brawl. Need to break the habit.

J18

Smash Journeyman
i was never any good at those advanced techs anyways, i'm like the definition of a casual player. but a good one =].
the only thing i find myself ATTEMPTING to do is directional air dodge

Kinlap

Smash Apprentice
I often try to wavedash when I play as a veteran (Marth says hi), but I usually play mainly as newcomers so it doesn't come to my mind as much. I still try to air dodge directionally like champion, and sometimes get me killed because of it. I also still try to L-cancel my aerials quite a bit, but it's slowly going away. Thankfully, I think i got rid of my mental reflex to jump cancel every grab, and replaced it with shield cancels.

Oi Kyon

Smash Journeyman
Its pretty annoying, I think I can wavedash then all of a sudden I do an airdodge, and I'm like crap, but it doesn't happen so often.
But trying to L-cancel, is too hard, I can't seem to stop doing that every time I do aerials.
I think I can airdodge to whatever direction.
And when I use Link or Samus, I think I can still grab into a wall with Z

cnza

Smash Rookie
I basically keep doing all of those, and it is very irritating because I can't seem to break the habit.
It sucks that I can't L-cancel in Brawl D:

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
I try to airdodge in different directions.

I keep trying to dashdance right before I go in for a grab, and usually end up running away in the wrong direction, or simply running straight into them...

kr3wman

Smash Master
Its pretty annoying, I think I can wavedash then all of a sudden I do an airdodge, and I'm like crap, but it doesn't happen so often.
But trying to L-cancel, is too hard, I can't seem to stop doing that every time I do aerials.
I think I can airdodge to whatever direction.
You can't L-cancel in Brawl.

But I find myself trying to do it.

You seem to Directional airdodge with characters that have good Air DI like Squirtle or Toon Link, and I always go "WTF How am I doing that.I'm cheating!"

But it doesnt really help that I'm still playing Melee...:urg:

Gary

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I still have melee habits. The worst is trying to airdodge onto the stage, which makes me pass the ledge under the stage and I can't recover. I also still try to l-cancel :/

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
I did those things the first day and occasionally I still try to do something from Melee but my habits have been broken. I don't see myself playing Melee or 64 smash hardly at all now since Brawl is a huge improvement on both of them.

Iamthemovie

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah and I can't seem to stop holding down while also Cstick down for a CC Dsmash (for those who don't know, holding down on the analog stick and csticking down will result in a Dtilt)
Is it true that CC doesn't exist anymore or is not as effective?

Tin

Smash Journeyman
Because I was a Peach player, I am sometimes still stuck with the nasty habit of Crouch Cancel to Dsmash...which results in a Dtilt.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Shino stall and needle canceling is extremely bad habits I have to break with my Sheik. I also need to break my habit of trying to L cancel every aerial but that isn't really as big of a problem.

Brainiac_man

Smash Journeyman
I kicked L-Cancel and wavedashing habits as a preparation of sorts for Brawl, I still try to air dodge directionally from time to time, oddly enough JCG never crossed my mind after getting Brawl. Oh, and now I can't hit a f***ing thing with Falco's Short Hop-Dair-Spike.

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
Because I was a Peach player, I am sometimes still stuck with the nasty habit of Crouch Cancel to Dsmash...which results in a Dtilt.
Same here, although I spent two weeks in Melee replacing that with F-air spamming in preparation for Brawl.

Also, every time I WD'd or L-canceled I struck myself in the head with a large, blunt object.'

Now, not only to I not use Melee techs, I've forgotten what they are! (And have cranial swelling...)

AznHalfCaucasian

Smash Journeyman
At first try to wavedash and all that mumbo jumbo..... The directional air dodge kills me too. Got to learn more about Brawl.

Redknight7

Smash Apprentice
the whole playing style needs to be changed. it seems like the guy on the defensive has the advantage because ot the quickness the shield drops, the no lag after being hit while shielded, and the crappy grap/throws with most characters.

AKC12

Smash Journeyman
CC'ing, but I'm surprised I haven't done that too much
JC grabs, but not doing that much now...
A lil L canceling, especially w/Ganondorf... Starting to stop now.

ExplosiveDuck

Smash Rookie
I still try and L-Cancel at every landing, and I played Falco in Melee a ton, so no matter who I am in Brawl I'm still into the habit of Short-Hop Lasering everywhere. Which results in a lot of terrible homing attacks with Sonic..

Battousai780

Smash Ace
No need to break the habit of L-cancelling. I'm going to continue doing it forever. 1) Because I don't wanna lose being able to do it. 2) Because it shows people that you played Melee and often they respect you more.

Firesoul1

Smash Apprentice
Nope not for me. I approach this game with an open mind, so i open myself to news ideas. Yet i do dash-dance a little.

6futs

Smash Rookie
The only problem I have is adjusting to PK thunder 2. My friend always played Ness in melee and I played G&W. You used to be able to hit them just before it ended, but now it has to be completely done.

Phocks

Smash Rookie
You can still do it with Samus. Not sure about Link though.

Anyway, the only technique I ever still find myself trying to do is directional airdodging, and the occasional wavedash.

On the other hand, I seem to be getting pretty good at grabbing items during attacks. Don't know if you could do it in Melee, but I'm really picking up on it now.

Flake

Smash Cadet
i still attempt to wavedash sometimes
directional airdodging, definitely
i've died more than once becuase of that

Top Bottom